Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Screen size right for HDTV, wrong for DVD!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   EricThorsen

EricThorsen

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 05 2004 - 10:24 AM

I installed a projector for my cable HD box and ran my DVD to it as well, via Component video. The problem I have is that the HD looks great, and fills up the entire screen. Any Non-HD signal through cable fills the middle of the screen, with two black boxes on the edges. So far, no problem. The problem is when I run a DVD-widescreen through the system. It has the 16:9 aspect ratio, but it is formatted to fit within the larger 4:3 ratio, which winds up on my screen with about 2 feet of space around the entire image. It appears to me that the HD signal is truly 1080, while the DVD signal is a subset of the 480 size. Can anybody help me with this? Here is an image - be sure you are looking in monotype font to appreciate: +--------------------------------+ | HD image Size | | |===================| | | | | | | | DVD Image size | | | | | | | |===================| | | | Non-HD Cable Img | | +--------------------------------+ THanks for any help! best regards, Eric

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted July 05 2004 - 01:09 PM

use the [ code ] [/ code ] tags (no spaces) to display your ASCIi properly. Does this happen with some widescreen DVDs or ALL DVDs? It sounds like a typical problem with non-anamorphic DVDs (ie not 'enhaned for widescreen TV' DVDs)

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Michael TLV

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

• 2,909 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted July 05 2004 - 04:26 PM

Greetings Some projectors have a mode called natural ... where they show the DVD pixel for pixel and no scaling. A 720x480 pixel array fits into this image area you are drawing ... Regards
Michael @ The Laser Video Experience
THX Video Systems Instructor/ISF Instructor
Lion A/V Consultants Network - TLVEXP.com

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   EricThorsen

EricThorsen

Auditioning

• 4 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 05:12 AM

This is for all DVDs. And I have checked the configuration settings on my DVD player (SONY dvp-s530d) and my projector (Viewsonic PJ551). I cannot find any setting to configure as 'Natural' I think I need to learn more about the pixel arrangments. So far I only know that the standard 4:3 TV signal is 480, and teh HD is 1080. I'm afraid that by setting the size of my screen around the HD 1080 size, I will have this problem until I can find a DVD player that can "enlarge" the image. What happens on a plasma screen? Do both the HD image AND a wide-screen DVD image fill the 16:9 size? Thanks again for any help! Best regards, eric

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Mort Corey

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor

• 981 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 05:34 AM

On my plasma display, HD input (depending on the source as some is broadcast 4:3) fills the display completely and anomorphic widescreen DVD's show very small black bars on the top and bottom. (If I understand your question) Mort

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   RandyMathis

RandyMathis

Stunt Coordinator

• 94 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 05:37 AM

It sounds like your DVD player is set up for 4X3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users