What's new

Alias Season 1 (1 Viewer)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Thanks to all of you that suggested I buy this.... I'M HOOKED! I bought the set the beginning of June and decided to finally start watching it. Well, it's amazing. It is such a well written show. The characters are just fabulous. I can't believe I never watched until now.

I am almost done with the firsdt season ( getting season 2 today). I'm trying to catch up so I can watch the 4th season starting in Jan.

THANKS AGAIN!

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
I bought season 1 as a blind buy myself. As soon as I was done watching it I went right online to order season 2.

I think you may want to check out season 2 before going any further into the series... there is some serious changes (not bad... but very diffrrent)

I have been hooked since watching season 1 myself... I was lucky I bought season 1 and 2 in time to start taping season 3... and I cannot wait for season 3 to come out and season 4 to start!

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Without needing any spoilers, what I liked about Alias was that just when I started to realize that every episode was exactly the same ("go to exotic location, steal object, switch object, repeat"), they shook things up. I'd come "this close" (as Sydney's pal Maxwell Smart would say) to giving up on the series when the changes finally came.

Keep watching, you'll enjoy season two as much or more.

Alan Kurland

Stunt Coordinator
Definitely one of the best and most compelling shows on TV! Even my wife, who doesn't watch any TV, is totally hooked. Really looking forward to season 3 on DVD.

Mark-C

Stunt Coordinator
Be careful when starting Season 2 there is a trailer for Season 3 before the menu screen and has every major plot point and spoiler you could think of. There's a few trailers including one for Hidalgo then the Alias trailer you can bypass them with your chapter forward button.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Yes! Yes! What Mark said. This trailer has to be the BIGGEST spoiler ever and to have it lead-off the box set this way is totally bizarre! Especially considerng that we're talking about Alias, a show built entirely on unexpected plot twists!

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Yes, my friend who has already watched S2 warned me of that major spoiler. Why on earth did they do such a dumb thing? Bad decision on the labels part.

Well I just watched the episode called "confessions" and am going to start the second disc in volume two tonight. I picked up S2 this morning at Circuit City ($45).

I'm telling you, this is becoming my favorite show. I was never into the hour long drama's. I was always a sitcom girl, but this show is proving to be one of the most well written shows with the most well written characters ever!

Best blind buy ever!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
As one of the followers of Lanie's which TV box set should I buy thread, I was wondering how this had worked out for you.

Glad you enjoy the show!

Real Name
Anthony
Yes, Season 2 is where it really takes off. I'm looking forward to Season 3, though it doesn't seem to have had such a good reaction.

I haven't seen that box set thread but I'm presuming that BUFFY SEASONS 3 and 5, THE SHIELD and all of THE SOPRANOS got a mention, right ?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

Mm, yes well it seems that way at this time, but I have a feeling it is going to age as gracefully as The Bionic Woman.

Which is not to say it isn't great fun while it is on.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I am not so sure about that...

Granted, season 3 with its "dumbed down" storyline was not always up to snuff. But, the first and second seasons remain pretty stellar, compared to other TV dramas. I popped in a season 1 disc the other day, and I think it holds up just fine. I am optimistic that with JJ taking a more active role next season, the series will kick back into high gear and make us forget all about the past season.

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
Also, you have to remember that ABC was taking a lot more creative control, and really dumbing down the story last season... this caused JJ to get upset and mostly ignore the show and focus on LOST, which he probably had more control over...

ABC wanted less serialized episodes, and more Jennifer in skanky outfits...

Considering the ratings don't seem to be doing better, but maybe even a little worse... it's clear they alienated a lot of their core fans, and didn't get any new viewers. So I'm guessing they're going to try to give the control back to JJ, and just let him work on it... He knows what he's doing most of the time.

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
As one of the followers of Lanie's which TV box set should I buy thread, I was wondering how this had worked out for you.

Glad you enjoy the show!

And me too, although all the reports on Season 3 have me worried, but first two, great! Glad you took our views on board - and agreed!

Chip_HT

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chip
Season two is the best, and has the best season finale cliffhanger ever.

But then season 3 came along, and I really wasn't that thrilled with it for the first few weeks. I mean, I kept watching it, but it wasn't quite the same as the first two years.

Corey_Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I also bought the first two sets blind and am totally hooked. I missed much of Season 3 so I'm excited to get the DVDs on release day and be able to catch up before season 4 begins in January. :)

James Lambert

Stunt Coordinator
Absolutely loved both Season 1 + 2. Watched them both in the space of a about 2 months. When it all finished I was originally jazzed to watch Season 3, but I've only heard negative things about it! Could anyone say what's so bad about it, without giving any spoilers away? A difficult task I'm sure!

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
It was dumbed down. It's hard to explain. The episodes almost never ended with the typical cliffhangers from the first 2 seasons...

The characters seemed to get from here to there in record time... and would always happen to show up within 10 minutes of the enemy that is going to the same location, so there could be a routine shootout and the enemy could get away.

The show became more of a shoot-em up type of show, and less of a spy show. Part of what I liked about seasons 1-2 was that Sydney almost never even used a gun. It was a last resort type of thing. In season 3 they would just run up and start shooting.

I'm sure it'll work better if you watch all 22 episodes in a couple of weeks, but a whole 9 months... and not much happened.

So I wouldn't say to skip on the DVDs, and I still enjoy the show... it's just... not as good as it used to be.

JJ Abrams has said he's going to actually put his own work into the fourth season. He said he was watching season 3 recently and was astonished at how bad it was. He obviously gave the control to other people this past year to work on Lost and other projects... he is determined to get the show back on track.

LizH

Second Unit

Dumbed down plots, skanky outfits ...

Looks like ABC has been taking lessons from The WB. :rolleyes

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Robert's assessment.

The writing was weak. Plot points would be drawn out for weeks, then resolved in one episode and never mentioned again. Lots of character assassination and continuity errors. And, I don't mean nit-picky stuff only an uber-fan would notice, but really big ones that contradict what was done in the previous week's episode.

Also, the character of Lauren. Not much one can say about her without straying into spoiler territory, but I was reminded of something the Star Trek:TNG writers used to do with Worf. Since they'd told us that Worf was a fierce warrior, they'd often have the alien-of-the-week beat up Worf, thus showing what a bad-ass he/she/it was. But for me, it backfired, since all it showed me was that everyone and their uncle could beat the crap out of Worf.

The Alias writers did something similar with Lauren--in trying to show how [fill-in-the-adjective] she is, they just made other characters seem [fill-in-the-opposite-adjective].

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I mean, the outfits used to be creative and interesting... but how many times does Sydney need to get information or a device in a crowded leather bar dressed as a waitress wearing a napkin as a dress? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks