What's new

Marlon Brando Film Tribute on TCM starts Tonight at 8:00 p.m. ET (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
On July 10th, Turner Classic Movies will show the following Marlon Brando films:
  • On the Waterfront @ 8:00 p.m. ET
  • The Wild One @ 10:00 p.m. ET
  • Superman: The Movie @ 11:30 p.m. ET
  • The Teahouse of the August Moon @ 2:00 a.m. ET
  • Julius Caesar @ 4:15 a.m. ET

Marlon Brando Film Tribute Schedule

I will leave this thread sticky until July 11th, as a reminder to the membership.

Crawdaddy

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
You guys have all the luck!

Never seen The Teahouse of the August Moon, opinions differ apparently according how you take that movie.
And Julius Caesar should be on DVD asap (I only have a VHS copy) period.

Cees

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Cees,
I thought "The Teahouse of the August Moon" was pretty funny, but I've read the Broadway play was better. It was just weeks ago that I watched "Julius Caesar" again on TCM and I thought Brando was great as Marc Anthony.

Anyhow, I'm somewhat disappointed that TCM is not showing more than 5 films of Brando on the 10th.

Crawdaddy

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I would have liked to see One Eyed Jacks in there, which I've never seen before, and The Young Lions so I could re-visit that one.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I'm a bit disappointed in TCMs selection of films for his tribute.

I liked Superman but this was not a Brando film. Why not show A Streetcar Named Desire which catapulted him as a great actor?

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
Thanks, looks like I will FINALLY get around to On the Waterfront.

Superman is an odd choice, but it will bring in a different set of people who might stick around for the others.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Being from a younger generation, it's the Brando film I know the best. And while he doesn't dominate the running time, his presence colors everything else that happens in the film. His speech to the baby Kal-El ranks perhaps the best of any in the superhero genre.

That said, I also question the absence of Streetcar... Is it not a Warner-owned film?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
One-Eyed Jacks is one of my favorites. It's a western with a difference. As far as I know the only film Brando ever directed. Also, there's some similarity between his role in that film and in The Chase (and many differences). Perhaps The Chase isn't a western, strictly speaking, but it feels like one.

I strongly recommend both. (The Chase is the 1966 Arthur Penn movie, NOT any other!) Both have some fine actors:
Marlon Brando, Karl Malden, Slim Pickens, Elisha Cook Jr. in One-Eyed Jacks. Marlon Brando, Jane Fonda, Robert Redford, Angie Dickinson, Robert Duvall, James Fox in The Chase.
To mention a few.

Cees

Chris

Senior HTF Member
It's good that they are showing these.. too many came to know Brando only by very recent films (Dr. Moreau; The Freshman; Don Juan DeMarco, etc.)

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
A Streetcar Named Desire has been playing rather frequently on TCM so I think that's why they chose some more obscure titles.

It's a shame Julius Caesar is on so late. Brando doing Shakespeare is phenomenal. An enormous suprise and absolutely riveting. I can't wait to get this on DVD.

Nick Totoro

Stunt Coordinator

I thought the same thing, especially given his rather relatively limited screen time. It's much more a vehicle for Christopher Reeve. Why Superman and not The Godfather is puzzling to me.

Nick

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I guess it's because with Brando aboard, that gave the film an ultra-seriousness to it that it could have missed. Not only that, but Brando's role in it (and in the scenes he filmed for "Superman II" which remain unreleased to this day) commanded the first big mega-paycheck in Hollywood. He got $3.7 million for 13 days' work on the two films, then turned around, sued the WB for using his image in licensing promotion on the film, and got another $14-$15 million as a result.

But they should have also picked some of Brando's other films to show his diversity. Too bad that they're for other studios, but they are good works nonetheless: "Guys and Dolls", "Last Tango in Paris", and his seminal classics "A Streetcar Named Desire" (whoever else portrays Stanley Kowalski will have a huge pair of shoes to attempt to fill in Brando's consummate portrayal), "The Godfather" (a must), and even his "Godfather"-style spoof in "The Freshman".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks