Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Marlon Brando Film Tribute on TCM starts Tonight at 8:00 p.m. ET

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,098 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 04 2004 - 08:57 PM

On July 10th, Turner Classic Movies will show the following Marlon Brando films:
  • On the Waterfront @ 8:00 p.m. ET
  • The Wild One @ 10:00 p.m. ET
  • Superman: The Movie @ 11:30 p.m. ET
  • The Teahouse of the August Moon @ 2:00 a.m. ET
  • Julius Caesar @ 4:15 a.m. ET
Marlon Brando Film Tribute Schedule

I will leave this thread sticky until July 11th, as a reminder to the membership.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#2 of 16 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,668 posts

Posted July 04 2004 - 10:59 PM

You guys have all the luck!

Never seen The Teahouse of the August Moon, opinions differ apparently according how you take that movie.
And Julius Caesar should be on DVD asap (I only have a VHS copy) period.

Cees

#3 of 16 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,098 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 05 2004 - 02:23 AM

Cees,
I thought "The Teahouse of the August Moon" was pretty funny, but I've read the Broadway play was better. It was just weeks ago that I watched "Julius Caesar" again on TCM and I thought Brando was great as Marc Anthony.

Anyhow, I'm somewhat disappointed that TCM is not showing more than 5 films of Brando on the 10th.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#4 of 16 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted July 05 2004 - 03:20 AM

Yeah, I would have liked to see One Eyed Jacks in there, which I've never seen before, and The Young Lions so I could re-visit that one.

#5 of 16 OFFLINE   Robert_eb

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

• 967 posts

Posted July 05 2004 - 03:55 AM

I'm a bit disappointed in TCMs selection of films for his tribute.

I liked Superman but this was not a Brando film. Why not show A Streetcar Named Desire which catapulted him as a great actor?

#6 of 16 OFFLINE   Steve Felix

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor

• 618 posts

Posted July 05 2004 - 04:29 AM

Thanks, looks like I will FINALLY get around to On the Waterfront.

Superman is an odd choice, but it will bring in a different set of people who might stick around for the others.
"We're trying to make a movie here, not a film!"
Flickr photos

#7 of 16 OFFLINE   Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt

Executive Producer

• 14,402 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted July 05 2004 - 09:32 AM

Quote:
Superman is an odd choice, but it will bring in a different set of people who might stick around for the others.
Being from a younger generation, it's the Brando film I know the best. And while he doesn't dominate the running time, his presence colors everything else that happens in the film. His speech to the baby Kal-El ranks perhaps the best of any in the superhero genre.

That said, I also question the absence of Streetcar... Is it not a Warner-owned film?

#8 of 16 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,668 posts

Posted July 05 2004 - 10:03 AM

One-Eyed Jacks is one of my favorites. It's a western with a difference. As far as I know the only film Brando ever directed. Also, there's some similarity between his role in that film and in The Chase (and many differences). Perhaps The Chase isn't a western, strictly speaking, but it feels like one.

I strongly recommend both. (The Chase is the 1966 Arthur Penn movie, NOT any other!) Both have some fine actors:
Marlon Brando, Karl Malden, Slim Pickens, Elisha Cook Jr. in One-Eyed Jacks. Marlon Brando, Jane Fonda, Robert Redford, Angie Dickinson, Robert Duvall, James Fox in The Chase.
To mention a few.

Cees

#9 of 16 OFFLINE   Chris

Chris

Lead Actor

• 6,790 posts

Posted July 05 2004 - 11:06 AM

It's good that they are showing these.. too many came to know Brando only by very recent films (Dr. Moreau; The Freshman; Don Juan DeMarco, etc.)
My Current DVD-Profiler

"I've been Ostrafied!" - Christopher, Sopranos 5/6/07

#10 of 16 OFFLINE   Raasean Asaad

Raasean Asaad

Supporting Actor

• 962 posts

Posted July 05 2004 - 12:56 PM

The Chase has been playing a lot on Cinema 10 on voOm
Good lord, there's nothing worse than the foul stench of desperation when someone wants to be famous.

- Luis Esp

#11 of 16 OFFLINE   Jason_Els

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

• 1,096 posts

Posted July 05 2004 - 08:49 PM

A Streetcar Named Desire has been playing rather frequently on TCM so I think that's why they chose some more obscure titles.

It's a shame Julius Caesar is on so late. Brando doing Shakespeare is phenomenal. An enormous suprise and absolutely riveting. I can't wait to get this on DVD.
For beauty is only a step removed from a burning terror we barely sustain, and we worship it for the graceful sublimity with which it disdains to consume us. - Rainer Maria Rilke

My DVD Collection

#12 of 16 ONLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,098 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 05 2004 - 09:27 PM

It's a shame Julius Caesar is on so late. Brando doing Shakespeare is phenomenal.
That's why some of us have Tivo and better yet a DVD Recorder.Posted Image

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#13 of 16 OFFLINE   Jason_Els

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

• 1,096 posts

Posted July 05 2004 - 11:14 PM

Quote:
That's why some of us have Tivo and better yet a DVD Recorder.

Some of us can't afford those at the moment. Posted Image
For beauty is only a step removed from a burning terror we barely sustain, and we worship it for the graceful sublimity with which it disdains to consume us. - Rainer Maria Rilke

My DVD Collection

#14 of 16 OFFLINE   Nick Totoro

Nick Totoro

Stunt Coordinator

• 98 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 03:28 AM

I thought the same thing, especially given his rather relatively limited screen time. It's much more a vehicle for Christopher Reeve. Why Superman and not The Godfather is puzzling to me.

Nick

#15 of 16 OFFLINE   Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,699 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 03:50 AM

I guess it's because with Brando aboard, that gave the film an ultra-seriousness to it that it could have missed. Not only that, but Brando's role in it (and in the scenes he filmed for "Superman II" which remain unreleased to this day) commanded the first big mega-paycheck in Hollywood. He got $3.7 million for 13 days' work on the two films, then turned around, sued the WB for using his image in licensing promotion on the film, and got another $14-$15 million as a result.

But they should have also picked some of Brando's other films to show his diversity. Too bad that they're for other studios, but they are good works nonetheless: "Guys and Dolls", "Last Tango in Paris", and his seminal classics "A Streetcar Named Desire" (whoever else portrays Stanley Kowalski will have a huge pair of shoes to attempt to fill in Brando's consummate portrayal), "The Godfather" (a must), and even his "Godfather"-style spoof in "The Freshman".
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#16 of 16 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,539 posts

Posted July 08 2004 - 03:50 AM

Quote:
Why Superman and not The Godfather is puzzling to me.
Does TCM have access to the Paramount library?

Forum Nav Content I Follow