What's new

Boston Acoustics, a good brand? (1 Viewer)

Dan Shogren

Stunt Coordinator
I'm about to purchase my first real HT in a month or less, and I've already picked out my Reciever, (Denon avr 1804) and my TV (Panasonic 47WX53I think...for now at least) but I need recommendations for speakers. I've only got about 1,000 or less to spend on them (probably less, depending on how my paychecks turn out) so i'm not expecting the BEST possible sound....yet. and i'm planning on buying only the three mains for now, and using my old walmart bought ones for surrounds in the back.

I went to magnolia Hi-Fi and listened to some Boston Acoustics models and thought they sounded pretty damn good, they seemed to have a lot of Kick to them, but on one of the demos the voices sounded a little weird, but I couldn't tell if it was just the scene/demo/dvd or the speakers. I also went to Good Guys and demoed their Klipsch speakers, and was underimpressed, something seemed weird about them, I don't know, too pitchy, hurt my ears. (Wasn't even that loud.)

So any suggestions?

Nathan W.

Stunt Coordinator
Boston has been around a long time and has a good reputation. I've never heard any Bostons, but I've also never seen a bad review of them and their speakers look to be of fine quality. In-store setups usually won't do any speaker justice. You gotta try them at home.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I have Bostons, so I'll state my bias up front. The VR and VR-M lines are great sounding speakers. I've less experience listening to the CR series, but they are generally well reviewed in their price category. However, I'm not married to the Bostons, as there are a number of fine speakers out there for same price. It comes down to preference. You must AUDITION, AUDITION, AUDITION. Others to consider: Paradigm Performance series and/or Monitor series, Energy XL series or Connoisseur series, Mission, Monitor Audio Bronze series, PSB Image series, B&W 300 and 600 series--and these are just some of those I auditioned. There are a lot more out there. Get some of your favourite music and go have some fun cranking out the tunes.

Good luck.

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
I own two sets of the Boston CR speaker. I listened to a lot of more expensive speakers, but the Boston sounded the best to me. Paul mentioned a lot of other good brands, although I didn't like the B&W as much as the others. Do the audition and buy what sounds best to you.

sean f

Agent
if you live near a tweeter you can get them on clearence as they are droppng the boston line

ps.. have 3 pair of the cr series and very happy, nice clean warm sound imo.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
When Boston Acoustics first hit the market back in the heyday of two-channel audio, it became a darling among the high-end crowd for producing superb, accurate, linear-responding speakers at an affordable price. Its reputation has only been enhanced as we entered the home-theater, multichannel era. Build quality also is superb.

Ray Tsui

Stunt Coordinator
Boston Acoustics has a solid rep for decent sounding stuff. I'd definitely check them out as a contender for everything else. The only problem is that the dealers don't always have the means to demo them properly.

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
I must chime in Boston Acoustics praises. I owned the VR line not so many years ago, had a nice di-pole speaker, very good. Since they've all been replaced by speakers of slightly higher end with which they were never meant to compete. I departed the Boston line with nothing but good feelings toward them, the only reason I didn't stay with them recently is because you just can't get them in Canada at the same or nearly the same prices I could in the US.

BTW, I still use Boston's (?VR500?) subwoofer. It has yet to be replaced. I know it's not a competitor for subs I've been contemplating lately (namely Paradigm's new super power subs) but, I'm in no hurry to replace them, it just might last in my kit for years to come.

Very Happy with Boston Acoustics.

Wayde

Mike_Gr

Stunt Coordinator
I like most of what Boston Acoustics does. I have listened to the VR's 3 times and I like everything about them except two aspects.

First, every time I heard the VR's the vocals were terrible. Vocals have a hiss, especially on words that begin or end with the letter S. This becomes more pronounced at higher volumes. The center channel was just as bad.

Secondly, I don't think they are a good value. While I don't disupute that they are constructed well etc., I think a person can find similar quality for less.

Wayde_R

Stunt Coordinator
hey Mike, they call it SSssibilance. The word would make a great lyric in a song.

Title:
"Save our sound system for sibilance in San Fransisco." Sung by Barbara Striesand on DVD Audio or SACD.

Now THAT would be the true test of your speakers mid to high tolerance for sibilance.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

Just curious as to the environment you listened in. I first dismissed the VR-M60s that I ended up buying because of a similar sibilant problem, but when I took them home in my far less reflective room, they were outstanding. Of course, preference plays a huge role, as another pair I auditioned at home sounded fine to me but my wife hated the upper frequencies with them.

Scott>G

Agent
If you are looking for further speaker recommendations, please check out the ELT-1. I have them and they are fantastic. The center channel is definitely the gem in this group.

They have two packages I would recommend...

One includes a receiver Here

The other is just for the speakers Here

Good luck.

paul clipsel

Stunt Coordinator
There are a lot of speakers I have heard that sound better than Boston offerings, but there is no definitive answer to finding the best speaker. FWIW the Klipsch speakers IMO are just too much in your face (sort of like they shout everything) in a harsh way. But thats my view its not held by everyone.

I would be listening to models from Monitor Audio, Paradigm, PSB and then you can add a good subwoofer when finances allow.

PC

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,
I am running a 7.1 system constisting of six CR-75's and one VR-C, connected to my Denon 3805. I could not be happier with they way they sound. They definetly work well together in my opinion. I originally was using the CR-C as the center, but felt it was weak. Although the VR-C is from another BA line, it matches up very well with the other speakers. I mounted my six CR-75's to the wall using the corresponding CR-B swivel mounts. Basically my system looks like a set of Satelites on steroids.
The sound is very enveloping. As others have said, with Tweeter and BA parting ways, you can get some great close out deals.

Good Luck on your decision, Al. Wise

Phil K

Auditioning
Hello,

owner of complete Boston VR setup here. They are very hard to get in Germany and much more expensive than local brands. But sound was so crystal clear with tight bass extension I had to buy them. In my ears they played way to sharp on my old Yamaha amplifier. Now with a "warm" Marantz with enough power I just cant leave them quiet. Next on my list will be the Boston PV1000 sub to replace the PV600. The Vr12 center channel speaks for itself when it fires the action right into your face. Its huge yes, but you can feel it :)

:emoji_thumbsup:

Phil

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
It's great to see BA gettin' so much love in this thread! I'm running VR-M (and used to have a PV-1000 sub before I upgraded it) all around and I absolutely love them. After much auditioning I just had to have them.

-Robb

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I used to have Bostons in my car and I really liked them. The only time I A/B'd their home speakers was against the paradigm monitor series. I beleive you could get some Monitor 3's and a center or even some floor standers for under 1K. For the money however I think you would be hard pressed to beat the Axiom M60's and the VP100 center. That would put you right at $1020.

Greg

MarcusKeyser

Auditioning
What a fun thread !! I just upgraded my ENTIRE system EXCEPT for my mits HDTV and my VRs :)

I'm getting (waiting on the DHL guy as we speak) a B&K ref50 with a 125.7 that I'll use to bi-amp the fronts. The Ref 200.7 would have been nice but to much $$$. I had Tweeter set up this combo in the store and it was great - look forward to having it in my house !! I'm also using BA dipoles in back and a velodyne SPL II 1200.

I must say I did HEAR a difference running the extra amp channel into my vr30's ... I'd recommend it :)

Also ... the diferrence between my yamaha rx590 (75 watt Prologic) and the B&K through the same BA speakers is DAY AND NIGHT - I think good processing/power is key to any good speakers ... without that none will sound good ?!?!?

Tim K

Second Unit
I've had a Boston VR setup for almost 5 years now without the slightest regret....well maybe a little regret. I wish I had bought the VR-12 Center instead of my VR-10...but that's another story (since the VR-12 is so highly regarded).

I demoed every line Tweeter had and found myself preferring the Boston's to all others. It is certainly a personal preference though. I couldn't stand the Klipsch line and other's swear by them.

Bottom line....buy the speakers you like the best within your price range. Also, don't be afraid to buy in stages like you are doing. Better to do that than to cheap out up front and regret it. If you end up with the Boston line you won't be sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks