What's new

Have some courtesy and leave some feedback on Ebay (1 Viewer)

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
[rant on]

Why is it so difficult to get feedback from some buyers/sellers?

I recently completed an auction. It all went very smoothly on both ends and I left positive feedback.

After a couple weeks now, the seller has yet to leave feedback for me. I don't sell or buy much on Ebay, so when I do, I like to get that feedback to build up my history.

I emailed this guy a couple times telling him I left positive feedback and would appreciate some feedback in return. Haven't heard back from him nor received feedback. I know he's not 'on vacation' because he's auctioned more items since I bought from him.

What's so difficult about finishing a transaction with feedback?! Yeah, I know some individuals buy/sell a ton of stuff daily on Ebay, but that's no excuse. If you are putting that much effort into buying and selling then you should spend some time to give feedback. If you've bought/sold thousands of items on Ebay, it's those thousands of instances of feedback that give people confidence to buy from you. Have a little courtesy to give some in return.

[/rant off]

DanaA

Screenwriter
If I have a positive transaction, which is true in the vast majority of cases, I always leave a positive comment. You're right though, some people don't return the courtesy.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
As an Ebay buyer, I began to insist that sellers leave me feedback FIRST, then I would leave feedback for them.
It's just common sense, they've been paid long before I get the merchandise.
And whatever the condition of their goods, my checks are always worth precisely what's written on them.
Some sellers balk at this, "We have our own procedure..."
Yep, and I have mine. ;)

James T

Screenwriter
It is kinda annoying. It's more annoying when the seller waits until you, the buyer, leaves postive first. Why does the seller need to do this? Are the afraid you might not get the package and then blame the seller and not the post office?

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
Fortunately I have had people leave feedback, and I do the same for them. Feedback is especially nice when you don't buy/sell all the time and you want to build up some points.

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I just had a problem buy on Ebay. I bought a ticket and apparently the web server was down so I didn't see all the details before the auction ended. It resulted in ignored emails and additional charges.

So I left negative feedback. I don't have the ticket, they have my money. The whole thing sucked I and dread Monday when I have to go back to dealing with them.

My learned lesson is I don't leave ANY feedback until I have the merchandise in hand and I confirm that it has been charged correctly. When all those things happen, or don't as in this case, I will leave feedback. I suspect others now do this too.

Kami

Screenwriter
I always leave feedback as soon as I get payment. Only seems fair. Their end of the deal is up, now I gotta fulfil my end of the deal.

Sellers who wait to get feedback first are sketchy at best.

Seems like a lot of people don't leave feedback though. I myself have received 48 feedbacks but have left 61, so there's quite a few in there that were too lazy to leave something in return.

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Yep I always leave feedback more or less after I get paid. The fact that you as a buyer left feedback before the seller is bad enough to begin with.

I have 549 feedback (639 total), and have left 812 feedback- I'm mostly a seller.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan

Once I receive the product as advertised why shouldn't I leave feedback regardless if the seller has yet or not?

Otherwise you just get into a game of 'no, you go first'.

Chazz_S

Supporting Actor
Right, what I mean is, it's bad on the seller's part. He should've left you feedback long ago. Hell, if I was the buyer in this situation I wouldn't even have bothered. Why extend him the courtesy when he hasn't done the same I say.

DanaA

Screenwriter
I've long ago made the decision to try and be courteous regardless of other people. Too many ill mannered people in the world and I now just accept that not everybody is going to show consideration to others. So, if I receive my item in good shape in a timely manner, I leave positive feedback. If they don't return the favor, I don't get bugged. Just isn't worth my time or energy.

On the other hand, rude drivers do get me so mad that I just want to...:D

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I buy and sell on eBay and when I sell, I always leave feedback right after I've been paid (actually, right after I've mailed the item). I've gotten to the point where, if I buy, and the seller hasn't left feedback for me, I usually won't either. Since the seller gets paid before the buyer has received the item, I don't see why there should be any question as to who goes first.

In your case, I wouldn't bother bugging the seller asking for feedback more than once. I've seen cases in which sellers (or maybe buyers) respond to that by leaving neutral or negative feedback, like "Here's your feedback. Happy now?'

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
It's called "feedback extortion" when sellers don't leave feeback until the buyer leaves feedback first. I think it's BS, but there are some sellers who are very protective of their feedback rating and will use this SOP to extort only positive feedback from their buyers. Homey don't play that. If I buy something and paid for it, I've fulfilled my obligation in the transaction, and deserve positive feedback. If the seller wants to play games, they lose out on feedback as well.

Oh well, there's a distinct Ebay culture you have to grok if you plan on utilizing Ebay on a continual basis. Such is life.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

I generally do this, leave feedback upon receipt of payment. However, I've had so many buyers who do not leave feedback in return after they've received the item that I'm considering changing my practice.

Why should I leave positive feedback and get none in return?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
As long as it's not negative feedback, move on. And if an attempt has been made to ask for reciprocal feedback once the transaction is completed, and still no feedback, move on.

For me, if I'm selling, the best feedback is the money, and no negative feedback; any additional feedback is gravy.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Because the buyer did everything that they were supposed to do in a timely manner? You're not giving feedback just because the buyer gives you feedback. More and more I'm seeing sellers that don't give feedback until I give them positive feedback and I think that's ridiculous. I always pay right away through Paypal. Once the Paypal payment clears, my part is finished and I should receive feedback at that point.

Pamela

Supporting Actor
Last week, I bought an iPod accessory off of ebay. The company that makes them, sells them through ebay, as well as their company's web site. The item was cheaper through ebay. They are a brand new company. I have not received my item yet, as it is in transit. Yet the day after I made the purchase (with Paypal), I received this email from them:

"Please leave feedback for ebay item xxxxxxxxx . . . If you are satisfied with your purchase please leave us positive feedback. This way others will know we are reliable sellers. Once we have received your feedback we will do the same for you. This way if there are any issues we can resolve them first."

Well, my end of the deal is done. They got my money. I think it's a bunch of crap.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Because sellers are tired of positive feedback being a one-way street.

If buyers are not going to uphold their end of the feedback system, why should sellers? The only leverage we have to get our own positive feedback at this point is to withhold ours to the buyer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks