18 replies to this topic

#1 of 19 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted July 02 2004 - 06:07 PM

James Doohan has long been ill, but he has now been diagnosed with Alzheimer's. I understand he was planning to make a farewell appearance at a convention, but I suppose that isn't likely now.

http://www.syfyporta...cle.php?id=1436

http://www.mirror.co....name_page.html

God bless, Scotty.

#2 of 19 Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,042 posts

Posted July 02 2004 - 09:19 PM

Word is he's not too bad yet. I don't think it would prevent a convention appearance.
My Collection

#3 of 19 LizH

LizH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted July 03 2004 - 07:06 AM

So sad. Posted Image

#4 of 19 MatthewLouwrens

MatthewLouwrens

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,031 posts

Posted July 03 2004 - 08:31 AM

Sad news. It's inevitable that we'll start hearing stories like this about the original ST crew - I mean, the show is 40 years old, and we have already lost DeForest Kelly - but when you're actually faced with the news, it's still rather startling.

Interesting to read this:
Quote:
A tribute for the actor is being held in Hollywood next month and he is also to receive a star on the town's walk of fame.

Films watched in 2005 / 2006 / 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011
AFI Top 100 lists: Movies, Thrills - Completed / Laughs - 23 to go
Passions - 39 to go / Heroes & Villains - 10 to go / Songs - 42 to go

#5 of 19 JasonRH

JasonRH

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted July 03 2004 - 10:19 AM

Sad news indeedPosted Image

#6 of 19 Richard Waller

Richard Waller

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted July 04 2004 - 08:04 AM

After losing my mother to Alzheimer's a couple months back, I have nothing but pity for Doohan's family. No one should have to suffer through this terrible disease.

#7 of 19 DanaA

DanaA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts

Posted July 04 2004 - 08:54 AM

My wife's mother was afflicted with this disease. It's very sad for James Doohan. I'm still hoping that they come up with a cure or at least much more effective means of treatment. We're praying for you James.

#8 of 19 StephenA

StephenA

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted July 04 2004 - 05:14 PM

Sad news. I had a next door neighbor that had Alzheimer's who best friends with my grandmother for over 50 years. I have lived here and known her all my life and by the end she didn't even know who I was and thought I had just moved here.

#9 of 19 Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 11:57 AM

Yahoo! News

Doohan is in early stages of the disease that eventually took Ronald Reagan's life. He has also been struggling with Parkinson's disease, diabetes and fibrosis due to chemical exposure during World War II and the D-Day invasion in France.

It's saddening to know that Doohan will be in a downward spiral in his final years.
I don't like SPAM!

#10 of 19 Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,975 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 02:58 PM

This is already being discussed in the "Bad News about James Doohan"-thread.
"Delenda est . . . . "

#11 of 19 JonZ

JonZ

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 7,793 posts

Posted July 07 2004 - 12:42 AM

"He has also been struggling with Parkinson's disease, diabetes and fibrosis due to chemical exposure during World War II and the D-Day invasion in France."

I had no idea he was there.

Sad news

#12 of 19 Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted July 07 2004 - 01:49 AM

It was during his World War II days that he lost the middle finger from one of his hands. That's why whenever you saw him on Star Trek, he had his hands covered or balled up in a fist or covered with gloves or carrying something, anything to maintain the illusion of normalcy for the character. There were a couple of rare slips, one in "The Trouble With Tribbles" in which we got a rare glimpse of the missing finger (the scene where Scotty enters the rec lounge carrying an armload of tribbles), and one in "Star Trek: Generations", when we see Scotty standing on Deck 15. (Good thing that we're getting one of his lost scenes, the orbital skydive prologue, on the upcoming 2-disc DVD. They should have also included the 23rd century coda as well.)

It really is sad that this is happening to him. I lost my dad over two years ago to strokes and Parkinson's, so I can definitely say that Alzheimer's, strokes, and Parkinson's are tragically debilitating to anyone.

It really has become a metronome now, as William Shatner said in 1999 on the passing of DeForest Kelley. We lost Gene Roddenberry in 1991 to strokes, and De Kelley in '99 to cancer, and now Jimmy Doohan's health is failing. All we can do is pray for and give encouragement to him and his family.
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#13 of 19 Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts

Posted July 07 2004 - 02:21 AM

My wife's mom suffers from Alzheimer's. Sadly, she's no longer aware of anything. It's so sad and hard on everyone. I hope that with new treatments and such that James doesn't get to that stage. Thoughts are with his family.

Oh, and James' biography is an interesting read. I believe that his middle finger was shot off. Posted Image

#14 of 19 Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,184 posts

Posted July 07 2004 - 04:08 AM

I saw him a couple of years ago at a Con and he was in bad shape then and was barely able to speak.
This is not good.

#15 of 19 Hugh Jackes

Hugh Jackes

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationAnaheim. CA

Posted July 07 2004 - 04:42 AM

My mom is well down that awful road too. Sadness comes in waves.
I have learned that some pain cannot be healed, but must be endured. I believe our Higher Power will help us to endure and find peace. I loved the boy with the utmost love of which my soul is capable and he is taken from me-yet in the agony of my spirit in surrendering such a treasure, I feel a thousand times richer than if I had never possessed it."
-- William Wordsworth 1812

#16 of 19 Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,116 posts

Posted July 07 2004 - 06:59 PM

Quote:
It was during his World War II days that he lost the middle finger from one of his hands.

Wow, I never knew he had a missing finger.

#17 of 19 Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts

Posted July 08 2004 - 03:33 AM

They covered it pretty well in ST, didn't they? Once you know it, its interesting to watch TOS, and see how Scotty is always hiding his right hand. (Except for closeups of hands on the transporter console, where it obviously was NOT Jimmy Doohan.)

As Bill said above, there were only a couple of slips over the years...

Quote:
There were a couple of rare slips, one in "The Trouble With Tribbles" in which we got a rare glimpse of the missing finger (the scene where Scotty enters the rec lounge carrying an armload of tribbles), and one in "Star Trek: Generations", when we see Scotty standing on Deck 15.

I'll have to look up the story on how exactly he lost the finger.

#18 of 19 Bill Williams

Bill Williams

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted July 08 2004 - 07:47 AM

Here's a link to one of those rare slips of Doohan's missing finger from his right hand, taken from a Decipher CCG of "Trouble With Tribbles":

http://www.decipher.....ribblesgo.html
"I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise."

"Attention all personnel. Tonight's movie is a holdover from last week and will be shown right after supper, which is also a holdover from last week."

#19 of 19 todd s

todd s

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,807 posts

Posted July 09 2004 - 04:24 AM

The following updated info was posted at www.trektoday.com

Quote:
Doohan's Agent, Son Discuss His Condition

By Michelle
July 8, 2004 - 9:52 PM
Agent Steve Stevens, who represents James Doohan, said that the actor beloved as Star Trek's Scotty has been experiencing memory loss for months - a condition initially attributed as a side effect of his medication for Parkinson's disease.

Stevens told Reuters (via Yahoo!) that the Canadian-born Doohan had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, which also afflicted Doohan's brother before his death two years ago. Doohan, 84, also has pulmonary fibrosis, a lung disease which Stevens said was related to exposure to hazardous chemicals during Doohan's military service in World War Two, during the course of which the 84-year-old actor was wounded at the D-Day invasion of Normandy.

The agent explained that Doohan learned to perform the brogue he used as Scotty while bunking with a Scottish-born soldier he bunked with during the war. "He can talk about his Army days and his old acting days and give you dates and details of whatever, but it's hard for him to remember yesterday," explained Stevens. "That's why we're having one last convention." He said that Doohan plans to attend a convention in late August timed to coincide with the unveiling of his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Planet Xpo has named the August convention "Beam Me Up Scotty - One Last Time" in tribute to Doohan, who will attend along with all the surviving cast members of the original Star Trek series. The event will include Doohan's last autograph and photo sessions with fans. He will also be presented with a reference book about Scotty by the author.

Doohan's son Chris told E! Online that his father was suffering more from Parkinson's and his lung condition than he was from Alzheimer's. Asked about the reputed feud between Doohan and co-star William Shatner (Kirk), Chris Doohan said, "It's all water under the bridge at this point...my dad and William Shatner got together recently and told each other how much they love each other."

More information about the August convention is here. The Reuters article is here.

Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

Back to TV Programming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow