What's new

Re-releasing season sets (1 Viewer)

Jon_Gu

Stunt Coordinator
Being fairly new to the TV on DVD craze, and struggling to catch up, I've got a question...

When the seasons of a show sell out, is there a chance the studios may release a 2nd/3rd/4th etc edition like book publishers? I almost didn't find Alias Season 1, and bought what may have been the last boxed set in town. CSI seasons 1 & 2 are still on my purchase list, but so many of these sets are expensive and can't all be purchased at the same time (I'm dreading September...)

I've not purchased ANY of the Star Trek seasons (any of the series), but want to have the complete collection as I can find/afford them. The last season of Voyager and Enterprise will be purchased as they come out, I hope. Anyway, with continuing interest, does anyone know if we'll see sets come back out every few years?

Sad thing is, my TV on DVD outnumbers the movies I own, and that percentage continues to grow! :D

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
They should re-issue sets that they screwed up the first time with edited episodes.

Jon_Gu

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also hoping that if sets are re-issued they'll come with the 'play all' feature.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Jon, are you talking about redoing a set, or pressing another run? If they press another run it will be the same discs, but if they redo a set (Twilight Zone) then there could be differences.

Gord

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

There's a cost involved in authoring the DVDs, so if a season has already been released as a box set I don't expect they'd redo it (until BluRay replaces DVD in a few years).

However a second printing of the original (with no changes at all) is of course fairly easy to do and probably has been done for some shows (Buffy, Angel) to meet demand. That's less likely to occur for small labels like Rhino who would prefer to sell out than to have overstock, so I'd say it is generally wise to get while the getting is good.

And some shows release mega sets collecting all the box sets after the whole show has been released - which will happen for the Star Trek shows I expect. So there's often one last chance.

The above is mostly speculation on my part. Anyone have any real answers for him?

Jon_Gu

Stunt Coordinator
Gord, I guess I'm really thinking about just re-pressing a release to make up for demand. I realize sometimes it'll happen to make up for the original demand, but I wonder if we'll see stuff pop back up every few years for collectors that have found a new show in the later season releases, but haven't had the opportunity to view/purchase the first few seasons. Kinda like new devotees of shows that are on the air in syndication.

I've read previous posts that suggest purchasing the Season 1 sets to ensure more seasons, which sounds like a good plan, but sometimes that'll be a difficult decision since I don't want to have incomplete sets.

I've never found an in-expensive hobby...looks like the tradition continues with DVD's... :laugh:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks