What's new

The new eight ounce soda cans (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I saw these new 8 oz soda cans at Target the other day, hadn't seen them before. They have the same circumference as a regular 12 oz can, but are shorter, so they look a little odd. They seem to be a little bigger than the cans served on airplanes?

Who are these for?? Is it just another attempt to try and indirectly raise the price of soda? Who would want LESS soda? The only thing I can think of is that they'd be good for mixing drinks with, since that often leaves a left over when using a regular can. Otherwise, I just don't see the point.

/Mike

Leo Hinze

Stunt Coordinator
They might be for people who only want a single serving of soda, since a single serving is 8 oz. I've heard odd rumors that some people find the amounts of soda in a single container (20 oz. bottles for example) to be excessive.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I work for Pepsi Cola and both Pepsi and Coke has been offering the mini cans in my area for 6+ months now. Despite the fact that they are more expensive than 12 oz cans hey seem to be popular with women who buy they because they are 'cute' and seniors who think that standard cans are too much for their appetite.

Stephen J*

Stunt Coordinator
I used to see them only in hospitals or something, but now they seem to be catching on retail as well.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I toogrew up with these in the 70's..fit perfectly in my GI Joe lunchbox..Cragmont and Shasta were the brand of choice then.

I use them even today when I'm not wanting a full 12oz drink and when I'm in a rush eating lunch. Hits the spot.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

I have a minibar, and it's the perfect amount to go with certain bourbons and rums. Otherwise, I could be cheap and use a 2 liter bottle (much much cheaper), but I'm paying for convenience. They also take up less space.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Hey, does anybody remember a soda or (pop) called "Rondo"?
It came in a yellow can and tasted along the lines of MtDew.

And how about the candy bar called "Marathon"? Red wrapper, 12" long (according to the ruler printed on the back or the wrapper) in a braided like form.

Travis Hedger

Supporting Actor
I hate them. I call them "bitch cans" when among friends. The price seems to be higher than if you go the same number of 12 ounce cans.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Aren't these pretty old? I've at least seen them used on planes and in bars. I always figured the purpose of them was that most glasses with ice do not have enough room for 12oz of soda, so you're always left with a little something in the can.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Wait a minute...they contain less but cost more?

....WHAT FUCKING IDIOT IS OUT THERE BUYING THIS UP AND FURTHER ENCOURAGING COMPANIES TO PULL THIS SORT OF NONSENSE?

If they cost less in relation to their size I could see it..but.......the man was right...one born every minute.:rolleyes::thumbsdown:

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

mmmmmmShastammmmmm

Do they even make that anymore?

And I remember the Marathon bars. I used to love them when I was a kid.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hmm....guess i'm a fucking idiot. :rolleyes

we buy them because our kids like soda, but we don't want them to drink so much of it. so, this way they're happy and we can better control their intake.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
In some ways this is a bit retro.

Post WWII through around the mid 50s, Coke came in a six oz size (I suppose it could have been 8, but as I recall it was 6). You could down that puppy in a couple or three gulps. Really just right. You could buy one for a nickel.

Back then a good many small towns had bottling plants and each plant’s bottles had the town name on the bottom of the bottle.

As bottles were returned, they would migrate a bit (you might buy some Coke in one town and return the bottle in another). Us kids would go to the store or gas station or whatever, get a coke and have a pool on who had the bottle from the furthest away.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I always thought that these smaller cans were marketed towards the vertically challenged in an attempt to make them feel taller. ;)

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.

Bingo! When kids ask for a soda, if you don't tell them which one to take they'll take a 2 liter and insist it is ONE soda ;) Hehe, the little cans make one soda just enough to be a treat, then they can have juice/milk if still thristy.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Hey I'm not trying to call you or anybody names Ted but in the end you are paying more for less....you do the math.
Now you say that you are paying for convenience, fair enough but as a consequence IMO you are not only getting bilked and are happy about it but you are encouraging these people to possibly step up the effort in other arenas that effect all of us.

As I said, if the cost reflected the size I wouldn't have a problem with it but it doesn't and I do.

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
While I agree F#$$% Idiot is a little too extreme for use in a thread about a pop cans size. I do understand Kevin's point.

On the other hand I doubt it if they'll stop making the 12 ounce "worth every penny" size cans. So the smarter of us can make the more savvy purchase....

....and hopefully in the process, make the world a better place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks