Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

In Memoriam: Best Brando on DVD...

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 of 28 OFFLINE   Brian_L_Kleis

Brian_L_Kleis

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted July 02 2004 - 07:29 AM

Deeply saddened by the news earlier today about Mr. Brando's passing. Just making me think about how much I still enjoy most of his films in my collection... So, for some of the Brando uninitiated (both of you), I'd suggest everyone watch "On the Waterfront"... Great SE of it came out a couple years ago, and I still love it to death. Personally, yes, love The Godfather, Streetcar, Wild Ones, and lots of the others I've got, but the Waterfront disk is the only one I've got that is a real SE with some good extras and outstanding transfer of the picture... Other recommedations and comments?
"...and like that... ...I was gone" Keyser257

#2 of 28 OFFLINE   Larry House

Larry House

Stunt Coordinator

• 127 posts

Posted July 02 2004 - 08:03 AM

I just watched Morituri on DVD last week and was impressed. An excellent WWII suspense drama that I had honestly never heard of. Brando's German accent is a bit off-putting (although as far as I could tell it was technically well done) but his performance as a German expatriate with conflicted allegiances is very good. This may be his most recent R1 DVD release.

I'm not sure if the public domain One-Eyed Jacks is available in a decent version on any of the many DVDs out there. The oft-ridiculed Reflections in a Golden Eye is a personal favorite of mine. A DVD release containing both the full color version (the only one I've seen) and the original desaturated "golden" color scheme would be welcome. I thought Brando's performance was very strong. I will have to dig up my VHS copy taped from AMC years ago.

Burn! is a movie that I have seen only in a cut-up version on a UHF channel years ago that would be great to see on DVD.

#3 of 28 OFFLINE   Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted July 02 2004 - 08:20 AM

I would never suggest that this was among his greatest roles, but I got a kick out of Marlon Brando co-starring with Matthew Broderick in The Freshman.

#4 of 28 OFFLINE   Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick

Screenwriter

• 2,719 posts

Posted July 02 2004 - 09:48 AM

My favorite Brando's are: Streetcar named Desire Sayonara The Young Lions One Eyed Jacks
...When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth

#5 of 28 OFFLINE   Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Tony N

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted July 02 2004 - 09:56 AM

Funnily enough, I picked up a copy of THE BRAVE last week, which I've never seen. I've heard it's pretty bad. THE MISSOURI BREAKS is also out this week in the UK and I'm looking forward to seeing that again. I also agree with Larry : I've only just realised that REFLECTIONS IN A GOLDEN EYE is generally held to be a bad movie. I remember really liking it when I saw it. I'll have to revisit it. My favourite Brando movie is still LAST TANGO IN PARIS and I hope that MGM will now do a special edition that does it justice.
I've been going to bed early . . .

#6 of 28 OFFLINE   Sebastian_A

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted July 02 2004 - 10:38 AM

To me, Brando was the greatest actor of all time, and an extraordinary human being - I am very saddened by the news of his passing. If I'd have to pick from his movies, I honestly could not recommend just a handful. I loved his directorial effort "ONE-EYED JACKS" which is a very underrated but fascinating western. Why doesn't Criterion pic hits pd title up? There is not one serious dvd-effort of this film out there. "THE YOUNG LIONS" by Dmytryk is a phenomenal antiwar pic and one of Brando's strongest performances. His scene with May Britt (am I remembering her name correctly?) is priceless! Rest in peace, Marlon, and thank you. S

#7 of 28 OFFLINE   ScottR

ScottR

Screenwriter

• 2,650 posts

Posted July 02 2004 - 10:42 AM

How is the Guys and Dolls dvd? Is the transfer and audio good?

#8 of 28 OFFLINE   Haggai

Haggai

Producer

• 3,883 posts

Posted July 02 2004 - 10:45 AM

Yes, that was her name. I mentioned this movie over in the Brando tribute thread in the Movies section.

Britt, a tall goddess-like Swedish beauty, was married to Sammy Davis Jr. for a while in the '60s. My mom told me that it was one of the stranger celebrity stories she remembered from growing up at the time, a real "beauty and the beast" pairing. Posted Image

#9 of 28 OFFLINE   Jeff(R)

Jeff(R)

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted July 02 2004 - 10:48 AM

One-Eyed Jacks is one of the finest and most impressive Westerns I've ever seen. Everyone (particularly Brando fans) should make an effort to see it if they haven't yet.

There's a thread in studio/manufacturer feedback re: the many requests for Paramount to release a quality "official" version. I don't know what the likelyhood of this happening is, due to it apparently being in the public domain, but hopefully, if we're lucky, it will happen.

http://www.hometheat....threadid=38505

Jeff

#10 of 28 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,492 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted July 02 2004 - 10:49 AM

Done!
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#11 of 28 OFFLINE   Sebastian_A

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator

• 137 posts

Posted July 02 2004 - 10:49 AM

Thanks Haggai - her and Brando in that scene are just very very, well, hot is the word, I guess. Posted Image

S

#12 of 28 OFFLINE   Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter

• 1,424 posts

Posted July 02 2004 - 09:19 PM

Is Brando's first movie, The Men, on any quality dvd? It's interesting to see that is his first movie role, he chooses to act in a role where mobility is completely elimanted. Teresa Wright looks like her usually lovely self too.

#13 of 28 OFFLINE   Nick Eden

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator

• 190 posts

Posted July 02 2004 - 09:21 PM

With regard to One-Eyed Jacks on a proper Paramount DVD-yes please! This situation with public domain is a nonsense-in my opinion the law should be changed so that when mistakes happen and companies don't renew the copyright on titles,there should be a way of them re-establishing their ownership of said intellectual property. I would love to own One-Eyed Jacks on a beautiful restored Paramount DVD, but would not contemplate owning some awful public domain transfer.

#14 of 28 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted July 02 2004 - 09:37 PM

Great loss indeed and Brando has been in so many movies that it is hard to pick a favorite

Top 3

On the Waterfront
Last Tango in Paris
The Godfather

which reminds me that I will buy more of his dvds now

Posted Image
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#15 of 28 OFFLINE   Dick

Dick

Producer

• 4,517 posts

Posted July 03 2004 - 07:42 AM

Yes, it's pretty decent, considering it's from Artisan (a Republic title).

#16 of 28 OFFLINE   Brian W

Brian W

Stunt Coordinator

• 170 posts

Posted July 03 2004 - 08:08 AM

For me, it does not get much better than Streetcar, Waterfront and The Godfather in that order. But movies like Guys and Dolls and Sayonara proved he had the extraordinary range to go from the dramatic intensity style he created primarily in those early roles like Wild One, Streetcar and Waterfront, to musical comedy and romantic leading man, respectively. Unusual, controversial and eccentric in real life during his middle ages and now to his death. After seeing him over those years, the obese weight gain, pretty much letting himself and his career go, it is difficult to believe that he was the same man who in his younger days had such raw magnetism and energy, had a sexual appeal like no other that he brought to the screen. Like Dean after him, he was a Hollywood rebel, creating a style that is often imitated and sought after, but rarely anyone has come as close.

#17 of 28 OFFLINE   Andrew Budgell

Andrew Budgell

Screenwriter

• 1,293 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted July 03 2004 - 12:09 PM

I wish that Warner would release "Reflections in a Golden Eye." I need all the Elizabeth Taylor on DVD I can get! Andy

#18 of 28 OFFLINE   DanaA

DanaA

Screenwriter

• 1,844 posts

Posted July 03 2004 - 12:51 PM

I have six or seven Brando films on DVD and have seen most of them, at one time or another. My choice for his best acting performance has to be A Streetcar Named Desire. He's scary powerful in that movie. Talk about becoming the character. Pure, raw animal Brando.

#19 of 28 OFFLINE   DanaA

DanaA

Screenwriter

• 1,844 posts

Posted July 03 2004 - 12:57 PM

By the way, I went to look for my Guys and Dolls DVD, but my daughter left it at a friends. If I recall, it was decent quality transfer, but I haven't seen it for a long time, so don't take my word for it. I just can't remember being totally impressed or totally unimpressed as far as PQ.

#20 of 28 OFFLINE   Michael Elliott

Michael Elliott

Lead Actor

• 7,249 posts
  • LocationKY

Posted July 03 2004 - 01:29 PM

I think I own all the Brando films that are on DVD except for the recently released NIGHT OF THE FOLLOWING DAY, which is one of my favorites but I can't find it anywhere. I finally broke down and ordered it online this afternoon. Both GUYS AND DOLLS and SAYONARA are non-anamorphic so hopefully Warner will buy MGM and release better versions. The public domain copies of ONE EYED JACKS is actually better video wise than the two MGM titles. Paramount could always get their "rights" back by releasing an extended cut of the film. I believe they'd be able to put a new copyright on that. I've had a Brando-thon the past day and most of the DVDs are good. STREETCAR doesn't look too hot but at least there's a SE in the works. THE WILD ONE is very good, although there's some speckles in the print. LAST TANGO IN PARIS is in desperate need of a new transfer. The audio mix is also quite bad on it. THE FRESHMAN doesn't look too great but it's certainly worth the $5.50. Hopefully people will go back and re-watch Brando's films from the 1960's. Everyone (critics/media) call this a bad decade but I thought there were some wonderful performances here. BEDTIME STORY, REFLECTIONS, MUTINY, NIGHT OF THE FOLLOWING and THE CHASE are all very good. Not to mention BURN and THE NIGHTCOMERS, both needing a DVD release, although NIGHTCOMERS is available in R2.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users