What's new

Your Evaluation Please (1 Viewer)

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
First off, I've learned a great deal from this and other HT forums so thanks for the free education.

Now to anyone and everyone out there please look over my HT configuration provided below and give me your honest opinion. Does this setup seem great, good, OK or bad? Is there a weak spot in my HT? Are there any recommended upgrades, changes or deletions?

Please be brutally honest in your remarks.

..Sony KV-36HS510 HDTV
..Harmon Kardon AVR525
..DirecTV HDTV Service
..LG LSS-3200A DTV HDTV Receiver
..Denon DVD 2200
..Sony SL-VN750 VCR
..DirecTV RCA DVR 40 TIVO
..Monster HTS 2600 Power Center
..Monster Reference & Z Class Cables and Wires
..Universal Remote Customizer 300 Remote Control
..Speakers - Infinity Entra (as follows)
..FRONT - ENTRA THREE'S
..CENTER - ENTRA CENTER TWO
..SURROUNDS - ENTRA THREE'S
..SURROUND BACK - ENTRA POINT FIVE
..SUBWOOFER - ENTRA SUB TWO

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
This has to be the best system I have ever seen. It looks and sounds so good from my house. ;)

Seriously. We will never see or hear your system. The only thing that matters is if it sounds good to you. If it does, then bravo.

If someone is looking for advise on a particular componant, I can understand but, "here is my system tell me how how good it is" is so subjective.

It's your's, you own it, rock on. ;)

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Have you calibrated?

The only other thing is perhaps you spent too much on the monster stuff, not really much value there.

I'm not familiar with infinities that much.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
That looks like a very solid system. The closest thing to a weak point I see is the Tivo, but if I was shopping for myself i'd go with a standard unit to give the HD models a year or so to drop in price.

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
Thanks for the replies. You know I knew I heard someone say "wow" during a recent movie! From the tone of your voice I now know it was you MarkMel.

Again, thanks for the remarks folks.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
Hmm, honesty?

As someone else mentioned, I would try and sell or return the monster stuff. With the money saved, I would upgrade the TV. IMO, 36" is way too small for a HT. In fact, I think it's probably too small for a secondary room (like a living room), but would fit perfectly in a small bedroom or office.

Stew

Rob Michaw

Stunt Coordinator
I agree with Kevin. Unless you are sitting 5 ft. away from your set, then I think 36" is too small to get the theater out of home theater.

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
Greetings from DeSoto,

I really should qualify my use of the term HT. Our HT is really not a formal HT by any means. In fact our entertainment system is situated in our modestly sized living room.

Please elaborate re: cabling. What cabling do you recommend?

Louisp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Louis Patrick
Good Morning All,

Before purchasing our HDTV I researched "optimum viewing distance". I found the answers to my question in Crutchfield's AV Advisor.

Here's a copy those findings:

"Q: What is the optimum viewing distance for different screen sizes?

A: There are differing opinions on the best way to determine optimum TV viewing distance. Generally, you calculate viewing distance by multiplying one of the screen's dimensions (height, width, or diagonal) by some fixed number. The rule-of-thumb generalizations for standard analog TVs with 4:3 aspect ratio no longer hold true for newer HDTV sets and HDTV-ready TVs. These high-resolution models include upconversion circuitry and wider 16:9 aspect ratio screens. High-resolution displays reduce the visibility of scan lines, so you can sit closer without noticing them.

The charts below are general recommendations. For analog TVs with 4:3 aspect ratio, the suggested viewing distance is equal to the screen size (measured diagonally in inches) multiplied by 3. For HD-capable TVs, multiply by 2-1/2.

Standard (analog) TVs with 4:3 aspect ratio
Screen size
Suggested
viewing
distance
27" 6.75 ft
32" 8 feet
36" 9 feet
40" 10 feet
45" 11.25 feet
50" 12.5 feet
55" 13.75 feet
60" 15 feet

HDTV-capable TVs with 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio Screen
size Suggested
viewing
distance
30" 6.25 feet
35" 7.3 feet
40" 8.3 feet
45" 9.4 feet
50" 10.4 feet
55" 11.5 feet
60" 12.5 feet
65" 13.5 feet

Q: What about viewing height? Does that matter?

A: For optimum viewing, your eyes should be level with the middle of the screen when you're seated in your normal viewing position. This is especially important for a "big-screen" rear-projection TV since its picture will look its brightest at this level. The cabinets of larger rear-projection TVs are designed to position the screen at the optimum height. For direct-view TVs (and tabletop rear-projection models) we carry a wide selection of TV stands to support your TV and raise it to the correct viewing height.
"

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Louisp- I found the viewing distances useful. I plan to get a new TV sometime with in the next 12 months- and knowing the distances gives me an idea of how large a screen I can fit in the room.

-Pus

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
LouisP, Here is a link for calculating proper viewing distance, I'm afraid the results will be different from those quoted above from Crutchfield's. Also in the software section you can read David Boulet's review of "Cold Mountain", the section "Picture Reviewing Philosophy" deals with viewing distance and picture quality. Very interesting.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/v...alculator.html

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
I'd have to agree with Alfonso. I usually use a reference point of 1.5-2 times screen size. The best viewing spot for a 36" TV is about 5 feet away. Even though it's only a living room, I'd have to think the seating is more than 5 feet away. Even the calculations from Crutchfield (which I don't agree with) would mean a viewing distance of no more than 7 feet. That's a small living room.

Stew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks