Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is there any chance of Johnny Staccato coming to DVD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 of 33 OFFLINE   Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,321 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted July 01 2004 - 06:45 PM

I've been watching this series off and on on Trio and I must have it on DVD. It is still appealing and very worthy of cult status and given the cult icon that series star and director John Cassavetes has I think it has good market potential, even a possible Criterion Collection hopeful. It is about time they did a TV Series (I know they did a mini) and this would be a wonderful companion to the John Cassavetes: Five Films - The Criterion Collection.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#2 of 33 OFFLINE   Mark To

Mark To

Supporting Actor

• 574 posts

Posted July 02 2004 - 10:00 AM

It is a very good show that unfortunately very few people know about. Just watch this post. I'll be the only respondent. Now I don't know if this board is indicative of the buying public at large but look at what's mentioned here. I follow TV fairly closely and even I've never heard of some of the shows they talk about. The one thing the show does have going for it is that Universal remastered them for Trio so they would not have to do any additional work on it, unlike other shows from that era which have never been transferred from film. Still, I would call it an extreme long shot at best.

#3 of 33 OFFLINE   Bert Greene

Bert Greene

Second Unit

• 408 posts

Posted July 02 2004 - 12:10 PM

Hey, I'll join in. I've caught a few episodes on Trio. Pretty nifty series. I liked the episode that had Gena Rowlands in it, and involved a bomb on an airplane flight. There was also a nice episode with Elizabeth Montgomery. I'd buy a dvd-set in a split second. Being only a single-season series, it would make a terrific done-in-one set. Do I ever expect to see it? Well, no, not really.

#4 of 33 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted July 08 2004 - 04:26 AM

I've started recording many of Trio's "Brilliant But Cancelled" series, because who knows when (or if) they'll come to DVD? M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#5 of 33 OFFLINE   Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 27 2004 - 05:05 AM

For anyone interested, Trio is showing most of the remaining episodes of Johnny Staccato in September. Friday, September 3, is a big day, with a marathon that includes about a dozen episodes. For more information check the schedule at http://www.triotv.com/.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#6 of 33 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted May 04 2006 - 11:17 PM

Universal is releasing a single episode of "Johnny Staccato" on May 23rd as part of its new "Brilliant But Cancelled" series of DVDs. The episode is "Tempted." For more information, see the description at Universal's web site:

http://homevideo.uni....?childId=36255

#7 of 33 OFFLINE   Michael Alden

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted May 05 2006 - 04:15 AM

I have all of mine from 16mm from the big Universal film deluge that hit the collectors market about 15 years ago. It would make a great release but Universal won't even put out their popular color series like It Takes a Thief, Ironside, Bold Ones, Name of the Game, etc., so I doubt they'll put out a black and white show.

#8 of 33 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted May 07 2006 - 02:07 AM

I loved It Takes a Thief, Thriller, The Virginian, and Run for Your Life -- all Universal series that deserve to be produced for DVD release. I've never had a chance to see The Name of the Game, because it premiered the year I was born (1968) and I didn't get into dramatic series until around 1974 or 75.

#9 of 33 OFFLINE   Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

• 1,760 posts

Posted August 08 2007 - 11:30 PM

Amazon is currently running a sale on the "Brilliant but Cancelled" DVD that contains the only officially released episode of "Johnny Staccato;" $7.99 get you an episode of "Staccato," "Delvecchio," "Gideon Oliver," and "Touching Evil."

http://www.amazon.co....6658843&sr=1-2

#10 of 33 OFFLINE   Jeff#

Jeff#

Screenwriter

• 1,942 posts

Posted August 09 2007 - 04:48 PM

I've always liked the late John Cassavetes as an actor more than as a director. Johnny Staccato was produced from NBC about a year or two before John started his feature filmmaking career (although he continued on TV for a while too, such as guest starring on The Alfred Hitchcock Hour). I haven't seen the Staccato series. Why? Because my cable company never carried TRIO, and I doubt they ever will.

Can somebody with episodes they may have recorded off-air make them into AVI, MP4, or WAV files and upload them to a Torrent website? You can PM me with the link when they're done, since that isn't allowed here in public. Posted Image

#11 of 33 OFFLINE   Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 335 posts

Posted August 25 2010 - 09:32 AM

Now coming out on DVD in October.  Bless you, Timeless!  (<---happy jazz detective icon)

(now I wonder who owns the rights to Richard Diamond?)

#12 of 33 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,140 posts

Posted August 25 2010 - 09:35 AM

Oh my giddy aunt! Thanks for sharing this release news! Never bought a Timeless DVD title before. Hopefully Timeless release other shows similar to Johnny Staccato.

#13 of 33 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,594 posts

Posted August 25 2010 - 09:37 AM

A-M-E-N on the "thank you" to Timeless.  That company has been very good to Vintage TV fans for a while now, and I think that will continue and we will keep hearing good news from them about more classic shows being released!   Gary "keep it coming, Timeless!" O.  
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#14 of 33 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,140 posts

Posted August 25 2010 - 09:52 AM

How long was each episode of Johnny Staccato? It being a three disc set and 27 episodes in total, I assume there will be 9 episodes on each disc. I thought there might be compression issues with too many episodes on each disc, if the show was originally in an hour-long timeslot per episode. But I've checked on EpGuides.com and it was a 30 minute show. The total running time per disc should be under 4 hours. And will the discs be single-sided or double-sided?  

#15 of 33 OFFLINE   borisfw

borisfw

Supporting Actor

• 871 posts

Posted August 25 2010 - 10:00 AM

Timeless is filling a big void for classic tv fans  . Just ordered the complete Checkmate for $33 the other day over at amazon  . Will be picking this one up when it comes out for sure .   More classic detective shows are most welcomed .

#16 of 33 OFFLINE   Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Second Unit

• 335 posts

Posted August 25 2010 - 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by WaveCrest 

How long was each episode of Johnny Staccato? It being a three disc set and 27 episodes in total, I assume there will be 9 episodes on each disc. I thought there might be compression issues with too many episodes on each disc, if the show was originally in an hour-long timeslot per episode. But I've checked on EpGuides.com and it was a 30 minute show. The total running time per disc should be under 4 hours. And will the discs be single-sided or double-sided?

I'd assume they'll be single-sided DVD-9s, which should each hold nine 25-minute episodes fairly comfortably.  

#17 of 33 OFFLINE   WaveCrest

WaveCrest

Producer

• 4,140 posts

Posted August 25 2010 - 10:25 AM

[quote]Originally Posted by Guy Foulard [url=/forum/thread/183747/is-there-any-chance-of-johnny-staccato-coming-to-dvd#post_3723258]

#18 of 33 OFFLINE   ToddR2

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted August 25 2010 - 11:26 AM

Yes, they will be on DVD-9's (Timeless doesn't issue flippers), and it is a half hour show. I'm quite happy that this has been announced, and I'll be purchasing it as soon as it is available. Richard, please consider purchasing  Brenner, another Timeless release, it's a terrific show, more realistic than most police shows from that (or any other) era.

#19 of 33 OFFLINE   Neil Brock

Neil Brock

Screenwriter

• 2,255 posts

Posted August 25 2010 - 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Guy Foulard [url=/forum/thread/183747/is-there-any-chance-of-johnny-staccato-coming-to-dvd#post_3723236] (<---happy jazz detective icon)

(now I wonder who owns the rights to Richard Diamond?)

Richard Diamond ownership is split with some of the series owned by CBS and some owned by Fox thru Four Star.

#20 of 33 OFFLINE   DeWilson

DeWilson

Screenwriter

• 2,082 posts

Posted August 26 2010 - 06:32 AM

Prints should look good - they did those fresh transfers for TRIO a few years ago.