What's new

Your Thoughts On The Coby DVDR For $148.88 (1 Viewer)

Bill Will

Screenwriter
BrandsMart USA in South FL has the Coby DVDR1000 on sale now & I know it can't be the greatest recorder going but do you think at $148.88 with a built in TV Tuner it might be a half way decent recorder/player for an old analog set & do you think it might last for a few years? Thanks

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
Who knows if it will last a few years? Usually stuff that is that cheap is a lottery. Many times the warranty is for 90 days and useless. Brandsmart is pretty good about (at least in my experience) honoring their warranties. This may be a good time to consider the in-store warranty OR call your credit card and see if they don't offer warranties on the stuff you purchaase.

I am also in the market for a cheap, entry-level player and I am aware of the "lottery effect" with these things. Just look at all the dead Cyberhome DVD players and you will get an idea. Some break after a month, some go on and on.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Manny Thanks & I hear you. This was something a freind of mine asked me about & that was my exact thought but I figured why not try a post on it & see if anybody might have bought one. Myself I'm looking at the new JVC which seems to be getting some pretty good reviews. Thanks Again ;)

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
I just found the Akai on Amazon for 199. It looks like a decent unit. I don't like buying these experimental components online, so I am also going to give Brandsmart and Best Buy a good look before I go online.

If they break it's much easier to get a replacement at a brick and mortar than online.

Here's an interesting and revealing review:

http://www.epinions.com/content_140405411460

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Manny, Any idea who's making the Akai? I know a lot of Akai tv's are made by Samsung & come to think of it is Samsung now making any DVD Recorders themselves? I do know their older models were just Panasonic clones & when BrandsMart had them on sale for around $250 that's what I told my friend to go get but he waited too long & there all gone plus he only wanted to spend around $200 Let me know what you think of the Akai when you get it. Thanks.

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
If the guts are Samsung then I would get it in a heartbeat. They have really impressed me with the quality and performance of their DirecTV boxes. They really out a lot of thought into the design and feature set on those. I have 6 different boxes whic include the 2 Samsungs 2 Sonys a JVC and the tuner in the DirecTivo and excluding the GXCEBOT the Samsungs were cheaper and have been the most reliable.

MannyE

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Manny Elgarresta
Good to hear. Lite-On is also kind of "hope you get lucky", but for the price, who can ask for more? Especially if it does what it is supposed to do.

Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks