-

Photo
- - - - -

MiniDV question... I couldn't figure out which forum to post in!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Kevin Sharp

Kevin Sharp

Stunt Coordinator

• 53 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 09:05 AM

I am going to buy my first MiniDv camcorder, but some of the things I film need to be transferred to VHS tapes. To do this I need analog inputs, no? Most of the camcorders I look at don't have these.

Is there something I'm missing here?

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer

Second Unit

• 435 posts

Posted July 01 2004 - 12:32 AM

You need analog OUTPUTS. All camcorders have these.

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,504 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted July 01 2004 - 12:51 AM

You will need analog inputs on your VHS vcr. As Rob stated, all camcorders have analog audio/video outputs.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted July 01 2004 - 03:04 AM

Quote:
I am going to buy my first MiniDv camcorder, but some of the things I film need to be transferred to VHS tapes. To do this I need analog inputs, no? Most of the camcorders I look at don't have these.

Is there something I'm missing here?
I'm not sure I understand your question, but let me try to give you advice.

If you are looking to transfer FROM DV TO VHS, all you need to do is hook the A/V output from the DV Camcorder to your VHS inputs. Easy as pie, all camcorders have A/V outputs somewhere and most all VCRs have inputs.

If what you are trying to do is transfer video information FROM VHS TO DV (or your computer using your yet-to-be-bought MiniDV camcorder as a bridge) you can do this by plugging the A/V OUTPUT from your VHS machine to the A/V INPUT on a MiniDV camcorder.

As you have observed, a minority of DV Camcorders have an A/V INPUT though all have an A/V output.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus