Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I've got the gear now i've got to wire it

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 OFFLINE   Spector

Spector

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 03:16 PM

Alright, so I finnaly bought a small home theater setup to start out with.

Fluance SV-10 Mains
Fluance AVSC Center
Fluance AVBP2 Rears
Onkyo 501 Receiver
Dayton 10" Sub (still waiting on arrival)

So now I'm just trying to figure out the best way to wire everything up. As I can tell, everything that gets run into the receiver will get sound through the HT speakers. In order to get regular TV going throuhg these speakers, am I going to need to run some RCA cables out to the receiver?

For hooking the sub up, am I going to need a special kind of cable?

I guess i'm just confused on the best way to run things. There is coaxial, optical, component and standard rca for running sound right? If someone could just give me a rundown on how they have their dvd going in (component i'm guessing) and what the best method for out going sound would be, that would be great.

THanks

#2 of 6 OFFLINE   Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted June 29 2004 - 06:32 PM

Component is for video, so your tv needs to have component inputs.

For tv to go through the speakers...............yes, run some rca cables to the tv in input on the receiver.

Not really a "special" cable for sub. Basically just a long rca cable.

Some dvd players have only a coax, and some have both coax and optical. If yours has both, take your pic. You won't notice a difference, except in price. Coax is usually cheaper. Some receivers have the coax input on the back, labelled for dvd. If yours does, I'd use the coax, since it's already set at factory for the dvd player. If you use the optical cable instead, you'll have to go into the setup and change more stuff than usual.
I use s-video cables out from my dvd player and my satellite receiver, in to the A/V receiver. Then s-video out to tv. My tv doesn't have component inputs.
Good luck!
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#3 of 6 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 01:32 PM

Here you go, Spector: “How to hook up your new receiver.”

http://www.hometheat....hreadid=174664

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#4 of 6 OFFLINE   Spector

Spector

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted July 01 2004 - 06:14 AM

Thanks guys, it looks like I'll be getting some S-Video cables for my DVD Player and XBox. I have a couple more questions though.

I went to best buy and was looking around fo a coaxial audio cable for my DVD player but I didnt see anything labled coaxial that had the right kind of connector on it. All the coaxial I saw was the standard screw type end for hooking up cable television, is there something I'm missing?

Also, will using RCA cables to hook up my XBox be fine with getting 5.1 sound?

And lastly, for now, in order to get my recievers remote to control everything, am I going to need to run video out to the receiver from the tv as well as audio out?

I appreciate the feedback.

#5 of 6 OFFLINE   Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted July 01 2004 - 07:41 AM

Quote:
All the coaxial I saw was the standard screw type end for hooking up cable television, is there something I'm missing?
Welcome to the confusing world of home theater! Yes, that was a coaxial cable, typically used for CATV or TV antenna feeds/connections.

However, for digital connections there are two kinds, known as “optical” and – yup –“coaxial.” The coaxial connection uses cables RCA jacks, just like L/R audio and composite video (more potential confusion, using the same type of connections for multiple applications). A regular RCA cable will work, but one designated for video is supposed to be optimal.

So, for you digital coaxial connections, get either a video cable or one specifically designated for digital.

Quote:
Also, will using RCA cables to hook up my XBox be fine with getting 5.1 sound?

Yes. See above.

Quote:
And lastly, for now, in order to get my recievers remote to control everything, am I going to need to run video out to the receiver from the tv as well as audio out?
No, you got it backwards. You need video from the receiver to the TV. Nothing for audio - the receiver is providing the audio.

However, if you don’t have a VCR, cable box or sat receiver, you’ll have to run audio from the TV to the receiver to get TV programming through the system.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#6 of 6 OFFLINE   Spector

Spector

Stunt Coordinator

• 89 posts

Posted July 01 2004 - 02:04 PM

Ah everything is becoming clearer now Posted Image. I guess I'll just have to head over to radio shack or circuit city and see if they could hook me up with a coaxial audio cable.

Forum Nav Content I Follow