Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

people are stupid and selfish - here's proof

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 06:38 AM

This has a lengthy preamble, but trust me, it's worth it.

We live on a housing estate with only one access to a public highway. Said highway is currently closed in one direction to allow for some major building works. The side of the highway that is still open takes traffic going in one direction (south) but traffic wanting to head north has to take a brief (two minutes at most) detour through an adjacent estate.

Going along the highway in a northerly direction, there are signs for at least five miles warning that there is a detour ahead. When you get to where the detour starts, there are huge signs telling you to turn left. It's still possible to go straight on for about a hundred yards, but all this does is give you access to the private road into our estate. And indeed, this is what the notices say - 'Detour starts here. Access ahead for estate residents only'. Plus, to reinforce this, the road to the estate has been narrowed with traffic cones. Nice and unambiguous, yes? Alas, not for some motorists. We have two specimens of moron:

(1) Those who drive straight on and haven't noticed the detour signs. Both my wife and I have been stopped by confused motorists who've got on to the estate who want to know where to pick up the main highway. 'What diversion?' is the usual response.

(2) Those who see the 'estate residents only' sign and think that this means that the estate residents somehow have privileged access and can get through without the detour and accordingly, they will use this shortcut as well (incidentally, there is no shortcut - we're in the same position as non-residents). Nearly every one of these is a BMW driver, curiously enough, and they are really pissed when you tell them that there is no secret way through.

You might think that this would be a rare problem, but at least once a day when we've been leaving the estate or returning we've seen someone committing one of these errors, so extrapolating from this sampling, there's probably at least 40 such incidents per hour. It's now got to the stage where the police are regularly stationing a patrol car.

Therefore we have a worryingly high percentage of drivers who either don't notice traffic signs or think that they can flout regulations and appropriate the rights of others.

#2 of 37 OFFLINE   Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie

Producer

• 3,634 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 06:40 AM

BM drivers are usually too busy yapping on their mobile phones to notice such distractions as road signs.
No longer here.

#3 of 37 OFFLINE   Moe Maishlish

Moe Maishlish

Supporting Actor

• 992 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 06:50 AM

I agree that people need to pay more attention to the road when driving... but the title of your thread

Quote:
people are stupid and selfish - here's proof

lead me to believe that you'd be providing us with an amusing story of stupidty & selfishness. How are the actions of these poor misguided souls either stupid, or selfish? It sounds to me like they're just making a mistake.

I'd be willing to bet that they didn't ignore the sign on purpose. Most likely they were just not paying as close attention as they shoul have, which we are all sometimes guilty of. Most likely, people who have made this mistake once won't be making it again.

(Sorry, I'm not thread-crapping... I just want to know your reasoning behind thinking these people are stupid & selfish).

Moe.
- Confidence implies the knowledge of one's limitations, while arrogance implies that one does not have any.

- There's no such thing as "normal". The secret is to find someone that's screwed up in a way that seems "normal" to you.

#4 of 37 OFFLINE   brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 07:19 AM

Moe, you seen the big signs that speak of impending doom right? It's the same thing. The only difference is it LOOKS like the road goes through so people ignore the sign and say "if somebody elso can do that so can I". It's that self importance thing.

"Road ends 100 metres, turn here for detour" how many people would go off a cliff because they saw tire tracks going past the turn off? A few at least

Brent

#5 of 37 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 07:22 AM

"people are stupid and selfish"

Your just figuring this out now?Posted Image

#6 of 37 OFFLINE   andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 08:07 AM

Quote:
How are the actions of these poor misguided souls either stupid, or selfish? It sounds to me like they're just making a mistake.

As brent says, if you see a great big sign (and trust me, you literally would have to be blind to miss it) says detour and the signs for the last five miles have warned you there's a detour, just what IQ do you need to miss these signs? Plus, when drivers who've got onto the estate ask for directions we've said 'didn't you see the diversion signs?' and got the reply 'what signs?'.

As for the selfish bit, I think it's worth stating that the signs could conceivably give the indication that estate residents have some sort of perk and can get round the diversion. So the selfish ones are those who honestly think there's a short cut through (I was interrogated - the term is apt - by a BMW driver convinced that we residents had a secret road and that I was refusing to tell him) that isn't theirs by right, but they're going to take it rather than have the inconvenience of a 2 minute detour (in fact, because the traffic going this way gets put through in blocks because of some traffic lights, at peak times the route is faster than the old way - just trust me on this, it would take way too long to explain). What's great fun to see is one of these clowns slow down and then stop when they see a patrol car there.

Quote:
Your just figuring this out now?
I'm afraid so. Unlike New Yorkers (who are born cynical) we humble country folk have to learn the hard way.
Posted Image

#7 of 37 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 08:11 AM

I was born in the Bronx but grew up a hour west of NYC.

So Im country folk tooPosted Image And prefer it that way. I couldnt live in the city.

#8 of 37 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 08:11 AM

perhaps you should change the sign to 'no thru way' or 'road ends' or 'no shortcut'. or put in a gate.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#9 of 37 OFFLINE   brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 08:32 AM

"perhaps you should change the sign to 'no thru way' or 'road ends' or 'no shortcut'. or put in a gate."

What?? put up a sign for the REALLY ignorant?

B

#10 of 37 OFFLINE   Joe Szott

Joe Szott

Screenwriter

• 1,962 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 09:49 AM

I would tell the Beemers that for a pound sterling you'll show them the way, then direct them back to the diversion route. That way you're selfish, they're stupid, and the entire thread comes full circle Posted Image

#11 of 37 OFFLINE   Mike Graham

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor

• 767 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 09:50 AM

My family owned a restaurant for several years, and had two doors at the front; one leading directly into the dining room, the other into the kitchen. The kitchen door was always closed, and had a large sign that read "NO ENTRY - TRY OTHER DOOR." Sadly, people were constantly walking in through this door.

#12 of 37 OFFLINE   Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds

Producer

• 3,597 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 10:05 AM

Quote:
What?? put up a sign for the REALLY ignorant?
if it would save me time every day, i would.

CJ
And then when I feel so stuffed I can't eat anymore, I just use the restroom! And then I CAN eat more!

#13 of 37 OFFLINE   Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 12:19 PM

Put a sign at the front of your estate:

"Welcome to Sunny-Bottom Weight-Loss Nudist Resort

Mandatory Nudity beyond this point"

That oughta do it.

#14 of 37 OFFLINE   Jeff

Jeff

Supporting Actor

• 950 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 01:49 PM

I used to work in retail. It's a fact that most people simply do not read or do not want to read. I would assume it's the later.

#15 of 37 OFFLINE   Julian Reville

Julian Reville

Screenwriter

• 1,197 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 12:20 AM

I suggest a sign that says:

Private drive: TRESPASSERS WILL BE CASTRATED

#16 of 37 OFFLINE   brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 12:48 AM

"Private drive: TRESPASSERS WILL BE CASTRATED"

See now you're assuming that they were all menPosted Image

What about the woman doing 120 while drinking coffee, doing makeup, and talking on the phone.

B

#17 of 37 OFFLINE   John Watson

John Watson

Screenwriter

• 1,937 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 12:55 AM

Not that it applies to Andrew's case, but there are too freaking many signs.

Many are ill written, poorly located, or can be obscured to your vision by the SUV or truck ahead of you.

Add that to cell phones, cd changers, plain lousy drivers (the kind whose IQ measure is considerably less than the HP at their fingertips.)

#18 of 37 OFFLINE   Kenneth

Kenneth

Supporting Actor

• 761 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 01:05 AM

See that's what happens when a species gets so advanced that natural selection no longer applies Posted Image

Why else would we need to have warning labels on knives that they are sharp Posted Image

Maybe there needs to be a pit for people that don't read the signs. Then natural selection can come into play again. Posted Image (said tongue in cheek, of course)

Kenneth

#19 of 37 OFFLINE   Tim Fennell

Tim Fennell

Stunt Coordinator

• 138 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 01:47 AM

Instead of "Access ahead for estate residents only" a sign that says "no outlet" or "dead end" might make the whole detour non-ambiguous.

I think that changing the sign shouldn't be necessary but given that so many people have no idea what is happening, I guess a change is needed.

Tim

#20 of 37 OFFLINE   Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm

Lead Actor

• 6,885 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 01:55 AM

I don't need proof all I need to do is look around and in a mirror for it.
Philip Hamm
Moderator Emeritus

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow