Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Well recorded instrumental suggestions.

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 of 17 OFFLINE   EdNichols

EdNichols

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 05:29 AM

I am looking for exceptionally well recorded instrumental music. Something that is contemporary, not classical, not old time jazz. The music style would be along the lines of Kenny G but recorded in the style that Mapleshade records music where you can hear every instrument like it was in the room with you.

#2 of 17 OFFLINE   John_Lee

John_Lee

Supporting Actor

• 966 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 06:53 AM

Chesky records - The Ultimate Demonstation Disc. Not all imstrumentals, but very well recorded.

#3 of 17 OFFLINE   DarylA

DarylA

Agent

• 42 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 07:11 AM

For guitar, anything by Michael Hedges. Crisp, clear, new age type guitar that fits into that smooth, mellow yet funky jazz category. An amazing talent.

#4 of 17 OFFLINE   AricB

AricB

Second Unit

• 431 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 07:11 AM

cd or sacd or dvd-a?

#5 of 17 OFFLINE   EdNichols

EdNichols

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 09:24 AM

I have the Chesky demonstration disk. While it is good, the music on it is a little to "old" for me. I would like something recorded that well but more contemporary. BTW I am looking at CD's. Thanks.

#6 of 17 OFFLINE   charles white

charles white

Second Unit

• 292 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 09:24 AM

Instrumental tracks from Earth Wind and Fire, particularly "Rock That!" from the I AM album and "Africano" from THAT'S THE WAY OF THE WORLD.

#7 of 17 OFFLINE   DavidLW

DavidLW

Stunt Coordinator

• 161 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 02:51 PM

Here's a sample of some instrumental music I use to demo my audio system. I listen to the vinyl but all are available in CD. Andreaus Vollenwiler (sp) - White Winds J. McLaughlin, Al De Meola & Paco De Lucia- Guitar Trio & Live in S.F. George Benson- White Rabbit Montreux Band- Live at Montreux (out of print on Windham Hill) Shadowfax- Shadowfax Kitaro- Silk Road with London Symphony Micky Hart- Dafos (not exactly Kenny G) Vince Gaudradi Trio- Charlie Brown Christmas Jim Brock- Tropical Affair Chuck Magione (sp)- Chase the Clouds Away & Children of Sanchez Micheal Hedges- Aerial Boundaries John Klemmer- Touch Grover Washington- Inner City Blues

#8 of 17 OFFLINE   Ryan_Walsh

Ryan_Walsh

Stunt Coordinator

• 86 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 02:54 PM

Keith Jarrett - Koln Concert Brian Eno - Discreet Music (although, technically, this can be considered classical)
NCAA/Madden 2004 PS2 Nickname - MMdeadlax97

#9 of 17 OFFLINE   Rachael B

Rachael B

Producer

• 4,648 posts
  • LocationKnocksville, TN

Posted June 29 2004 - 06:04 PM

For a Brazilian touch, try Manfredo Fest's JUST JOBIM. How 'bout CHET by Chet Baker. Beck & Ryerson for quitar and flute, ALTO is one I have. Jim Hall's jazz guitar on ACROSS THE CITY is nice, as is Doc Powell's on 97TH & COLUMBUS. The Anthony Wilson Trio's OUR GANG is more terrific jazz guitar. The Chris Lomheim Trio's THE BRIDGE is a nice piano-led trio with some good originals and some standards. The Penguin Cafe Orchestra's A BRIEF HISTORY is delightful. Oscar Peterson's flashy piano is very alive on VOL. IV - MY FAVORITE INSTRUMENT. It's just him solo on piano. The other Volumes feature his group and are good too. I too, like George Benson's WHITE RABBIT, terrific one from the ole CTI Records dayz, one of the labels best, IMO. I like Ramsey Lewis' FUNKY SERENITY, a very good and mostly over looked piece of jazz. Other ideas, David Sanborn, Herbbie Mann, John Williams, Joe Pass, Lee Ritenour, Harvey Mason, Bill Evans Trio, Bob James, and Chick Corea.
Rachael, the big disc cat is in real life Dot Mongur, Champion of the International Pacman Federation. You better be ready to rumble if you play Jr. Pacman with me. This is full contact Pacman and I don't just play the game, I operate it!

#10 of 17 OFFLINE   EdNichols

EdNichols

Second Unit

• 372 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 12:25 AM

Thanks guys. I will check into all of these. I am always on the lookout for new music!

#11 of 17 OFFLINE   JordanS

JordanS

Second Unit

• 250 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 09:16 AM

Pink Floyd: Terminal Frost Cluster One (brilliant) Marooned (one of the best PF songs ever) Rick Wright: Sweet July (more than likely, you won't be able to find this anywhere)
Tell me what you regard as your greatest strength, so I will know how best to undermine you; tell me of your greatest fear, so I will know which I must force you to face; tell me what you cherish most, so I will know what to take from you; and tell me what you crave, so that I might deny you.

-Darth....

#12 of 17 OFFLINE   Doug_B

Doug_B

Screenwriter

• 1,084 posts

Posted July 01 2004 - 01:48 PM

The last few Spyro Gyra albums are well recorded; can get CD or SACD hybrid. Interested in bluegrass or newgrass? Mapleshade has a bluegrass selection by Tony Williamson. Alison Krauss & Union Station have a few well recorded albums, so I understand (only heard "Live"). Moving towards a somewhat more unique contemporary style, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones' Outbound is well recorded. Sorry that my recommendations are veering away from Kenny G. Doug

#13 of 17 OFFLINE   NickSo

NickSo

Producer

• 4,274 posts

Posted July 02 2004 - 11:25 AM

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells 2003...

ive never heard Tubular Bells before, or of Mike Oldfield (hey, im 18). But i was at the library today looking through the CD collection, and i remembered reading something about Tubular bells here, so i decided to take a listen.

Though my equipment isn't great (a Luxman CD player, with Koss PortaPro headphones), its better than a Sony Discman and Street-Style headphones Posted Image, and I thought it was a very good CD, and very cleanly recorded. All the different insturments, the pianos, guitars, basses, bells, synth, distinct yet blended very well together.

Now im on ebay trying to find a vinyl copy of the original release Posted Image

#14 of 17 OFFLINE   Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter

• 1,159 posts

Posted July 05 2004 - 03:22 AM

bill frisell

#15 of 17 OFFLINE   Marty M

Marty M

Screenwriter

• 2,920 posts

Posted July 05 2004 - 09:46 AM

Glad you liked this. Welcome to the 1970s.

Lawn Ranger Motto: You're only young once, but you can be always be immature.

#16 of 17 OFFLINE   ScottCHI

ScottCHI

Screenwriter

• 1,292 posts

Posted July 05 2004 - 11:30 AM

i agree. check out the bill frisell and the intercontinentals cd. it's one of my "reference discs".
"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."

#17 of 17 OFFLINE   David Tolsky

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor

• 648 posts

Posted July 06 2004 - 10:01 AM

If you can play DVD-A's I'd also suggest Big Phat Band's XXL disc. Great instrumentals and well-recorded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users