What's new

Well recorded instrumental suggestions. (1 Viewer)

EdNichols

Second Unit
I am looking for exceptionally well recorded instrumental music. Something that is contemporary, not classical, not old time jazz. The music style would be along the lines of Kenny G but recorded in the style that Mapleshade records music where you can hear every instrument like it was in the room with you.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Chesky records - The Ultimate Demonstation Disc.

Not all imstrumentals, but very well recorded.

DarylA

Agent
For guitar, anything by Michael Hedges. Crisp, clear, new age type guitar that fits into that smooth, mellow yet funky jazz category. An amazing talent.

EdNichols

Second Unit
I have the Chesky demonstration disk. While it is good, the music on it is a little to "old" for me. I would like something recorded that well but more contemporary. BTW I am looking at CD's. Thanks.

cwhite

Second Unit
Instrumental tracks from Earth Wind and Fire, particularly "Rock That!" from the I AM album and "Africano" from THAT'S THE WAY OF THE WORLD.

DavidLW

Stunt Coordinator
Here's a sample of some instrumental music I use to demo my audio system. I listen to the vinyl but all are available in CD.

Andreaus Vollenwiler (sp) - White Winds

J. McLaughlin, Al De Meola & Paco De Lucia- Guitar Trio & Live in S.F.

George Benson- White Rabbit

Montreux Band- Live at Montreux (out of print on Windham Hill)

Shadowfax- Shadowfax

Kitaro- Silk Road with London Symphony

Micky Hart- Dafos (not exactly Kenny G)

Vince Gaudradi Trio- Charlie Brown Christmas

Jim Brock- Tropical Affair

Chuck Magione (sp)- Chase the Clouds Away & Children of Sanchez

Micheal Hedges- Aerial Boundaries

John Klemmer- Touch

Grover Washington- Inner City Blues

Ryan_Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
Keith Jarrett - Koln Concert
Brian Eno - Discreet Music (although, technically, this can be considered classical)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
For a Brazilian touch, try Manfredo Fest's JUST JOBIM. How 'bout CHET by Chet Baker. Beck & Ryerson for quitar and flute, ALTO is one I have. Jim Hall's jazz guitar on ACROSS THE CITY is nice, as is Doc Powell's on 97TH & COLUMBUS. The Anthony Wilson Trio's OUR GANG is more terrific jazz guitar. The Chris Lomheim Trio's THE BRIDGE is a nice piano-led trio with some good originals and some standards. The Penguin Cafe Orchestra's A BRIEF HISTORY is delightful. Oscar Peterson's flashy piano is very alive on VOL. IV - MY FAVORITE INSTRUMENT. It's just him solo on piano. The other Volumes feature his group and are good too.

I too, like George Benson's WHITE RABBIT, terrific one from the ole CTI Records dayz, one of the labels best, IMO. I like Ramsey Lewis' FUNKY SERENITY, a very good and mostly over looked piece of jazz.

Other ideas, David Sanborn, Herbbie Mann, John Williams, Joe Pass, Lee Ritenour, Harvey Mason, Bill Evans Trio, Bob James, and Chick Corea.

JordanS

Second Unit
Pink Floyd:

Terminal Frost
Cluster One (brilliant)
Marooned (one of the best PF songs ever)

Rick Wright:

Sweet July (more than likely, you won't be able to find this anywhere)

Doug_B

Screenwriter
The last few Spyro Gyra albums are well recorded; can get CD or SACD hybrid. Interested in bluegrass or newgrass? Mapleshade has a bluegrass selection by Tony Williamson. Alison Krauss & Union Station have a few well recorded albums, so I understand (only heard "Live"). Moving towards a somewhat more unique contemporary style, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones' Outbound is well recorded. Sorry that my recommendations are veering away from Kenny G.

Doug

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells 2003...

ive never heard Tubular Bells before, or of Mike Oldfield (hey, im 18). But i was at the library today looking through the CD collection, and i remembered reading something about Tubular bells here, so i decided to take a listen.

Though my equipment isn't great (a Luxman CD player, with Koss PortaPro headphones), its better than a Sony Discman and Street-Style headphones :D, and I thought it was a very good CD, and very cleanly recorded. All the different insturments, the pianos, guitars, basses, bells, synth, distinct yet blended very well together.

Now im on ebay trying to find a vinyl copy of the original release :D

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
i agree.

check out the bill frisell and the intercontinentals cd. it's one of my "reference discs".

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
If you can play DVD-A's I'd also suggest Big Phat Band's XXL
disc. Great instrumentals and well-recorded.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks