What's new

How to get bugs(leggy kind) out of NAD 1equipment (1 Viewer)

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, I have a nad c370 and 541i that have bugs. They are teeny tiny white bugs that would be scared to death of a grain of salt. The odd part, they only like my nad equipment, especially the green power buttons. They run when I turn the lights on, yet will stay on the power button. Odd little creatures who obviously know quality when looking for a home.

Is there some kind of fogger to get them out? How will it affect my equipment?

David Devaux

Agent
I am no expert on this, but I would bet more damage could be caused by trying to get them out, than they could possibly do themselves hanging out in there. They will eventually get hungry and either leave or die on their own. I wouldn't waste much effort.

If it were a bee, or a spider with a web it would be a different story, but I don't think these guys are going to do much damage

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
They have been already been there for 3 weeks though. I guess I'm gonna have to hook up the computer microscope and find out what they are.

StephenHa

Second Unit
maybe use some compressed air to blow them out, you don't want anything with liquid or that will leave a residue

Bill Will

Screenwriter
Are they inside the Receiver too? Way back I once had some trouble with bugs inside an FM Tuner so I tried taking the cover off & leaving it off for a week or so & they all vanished. Maybe they din't like the light or the little heat that built up in the Tuner no longer kept them warm so they beat it. You might want to give that a try but what ever you do DON'T USE ANY PESTICIDE (Raid & etc) on the Receiver because it can eat stuff on the circuit boards. Good Luck!

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
Thx for the advice everyone.

Is there anything inside an amplifier that shouldn't be put in a vaccum? I have these camping bags that you can hook up to a shopvac to suck the air out of pillows and stuff. I figured the negative pressure in there might be enough to exlpode the little pricks and their eggs. Think it could work??

Bill Will

Screenwriter
I would think that might be worth a try as long as the vacum wasn't too powerful so it sucked some of the wires loose. You might also want to give NAD a call & talk to a tech to see if they have any suggestions on what to do & what not to do. But I would think that as long as you tried anything that would'nt losen the wires or put any kind of chemicals in would not hurt anything & would be worth a shot. I would try taking the cover off & first blowing everything off with the compressed air & then vacum everything out with a little Computer Keyboard Vacum Cleaner & I would do it outside if possible so they just don't run over to some other component or become BED BUGS :D

Yogi

Screenwriter
Open it up and leave it in the sun for a couple of hours during the weekend. They should run out of it once the temperature hits 90+. Your NAD should still be OK at that temperature. Make sure you do it in the neighbours yard so they can find his equipment when they start looking for a new home:D.

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
That's one thing I can't figure out. Where did they come from?? I mean, these things are so small I don't see how they could even get to the stuff. One inch takes these little guys quite a while. I literally thought they were specks of dust til I saw one move.

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
Because when I looked closer I noticed there were a few of them. And they liked my power buttons. I've been noticing they have been hanging out on the buttons that get touched the most, so I'm just not going to touch the reciever at all for a few weeks.

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
little bugs on your nad? this sound like you're joking around. but anyway here goes, to kill bugs in cigars it's recommended to order some dry ice and freeze them to death. should work here too. the dry ice gets the temp colder than your home fridge can do. good luck :)

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
OT: So you're saying you still smoke the cigars with the dead bugs in them?!?

Ya I could have sad my NAD has crabs...but I don't think post would of lasted long. :D

Bill Will nailed it though, I really need to talk to NAD about this. Sometimes the easiest solutions are the hardest.

Scott*B

Stunt Coordinator
The vacuum is a bad idea. Vaccum's can create static electricity. Don't need any of that going on near your audio equipment. That's the very reason computer shops sell compressed air.

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
Well, maybe you should find out what type of bug they are and go from there. If you know what you have, it may offer insight in how to deal with them. For example, dealing with slugs requires a pan of beer. The slug crawls into the beer like a frat boy and never comes out :) You may have a bug that hates sunlight- so all you will have to do is expose your receiver to the sun....You won't know until you find out what you have.

Most states have a university "AG" (agriculture) extension that will cheerfully identify your bug.

Keep us posted- I'd love to find out how you solve this.

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Aaron, you'll be fine using your vacuum cleaner to "suck out those bugs" with no worries to the NAD equipment.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
What if they take up residence in the vacuum cleaner? They may decide they like it there better.
Then the vacuum will spread them all over the house and the next thing you know they're all over the place. You need to quaranteen the receiver to minimize sprawl to other areas of the house, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread