What's new

Subwoofer Amp settings (1 Viewer)

Matt Hobbes

Agent
For anyone who does installs, why would someone set up a 12" sealed sub with a 60hz low pass crossover when the 5 1/4 sats in front are crossed over at 100hz? the sub amp also had a limiter on it blocking all freq's below 30hz...

Brad_Harper

Stunt Coordinator
That crossover setting does seem a bit low. They could probably raise the sub setting up to 80Hz without issue. It could also depend on the types of crossovers being used. It both high pass and low pass crossovers are 12db/octave then (with cabin gain) could be a hump in the frequency range at the 80Hz region and the only way to get rid of the boomy bass would be to turn down the crossover frequency.
But if you friend likes the way it sounds then the settings are fine.

StephenHa

Second Unit
could be the way car amps are set up the frequency sometimes (ok alot of times) doesn't match what's silkscreend on the amp

Denton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Denton
It is important to remember that "crossovers" are not brick walls. Many are only 12 dB slopes; underlapping the crossover points may allow the output from your subs and midbasses share/blend those requencies between the points.

That said, the sub point does seem a bit low. And the "subsonic" filter setting at 30 hz seems high to me. Such filters are especially useful with vented sub systems.

In the end...how does it sound to you ? :)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
ermm mine is set at 100hz at the head unit. Anything under goes to sub, anything over to the main speakers. Maybe your friend only listens to one song? ;)

David.G

Stunt Coordinator
thats seems very low for me and especially in a sealed box. He may have the slope changed to a very open slope like 6db which will cross them higher than the 60hz range. And the components at 100hz, thats seems a little low, atleast for me. He must not really listen to alot of different music. I have my components crossed at 160hz with a 12db slope and the sub at 80hz at a 12db slope. Mine might be a little different since i have a mini sub that plays 100-200hz so i don't need my components to play my midbass frequencies as much. Well if he likes it and his one song he's good to go...lol...he may have other stuff in his car like midbass drivers and all or a big setup. If it sounds good in his car.

Matt Hobbes

Agent
unfortunately...it was on my sys.... I had messed with the sat's amp a lot trying to tweak it...but never the subs
never really noticed a prob with the sub per say, besides having little mid bass, but I always thought the problem was my 5.25s

I changed the crossover to 100
changed 24 db slope to 12db octave
and turned off the limiter since my sub is sealed.

output and clarity increased as well as gaining those freqs back...
thanks

I've had really bad luck with car audio and shops (ref http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...57#post2121057)... I've really wary of car audio shops now...if you read some of my earlier posts you'll see what I mean. The last shop I had look at my system was a year ago... previous shops had installed the orig, and did it wrong causing more probs and damage, but being ignorant at the time, the fix was to buy new equip... and being that my profession req'd me to move 3 times in the past two years didn't help.

One more question... I have earthquake 5.25s and 1" tweets in the front but they sound really bright... really annoying with rock, ie distorted guitars... other types of music sounds fine, but when music with distorted guitars playing.. the guitars well sound more distorted/harsh... If I turn the treble and mids down on my HU and tweak the q factors of the curve, it tames slightly...any other suggestions?
my mishmash sys
-Premier DEH-P630 HU
-earthquake 5.25" and 1" tweeters (orig pioneer premier fronts, but the right one blew)
-pioneer premier rear:6.5"