Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Made a rationalization, it’s not worth it to upgrade my receiver…

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#21 of 29 OFFLINE   Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 05:02 PM

Matt, While often, we talk heavily of equipment in these forums. Quite frequently, posts get started so one can "show off" their gear. These posts are always usually positive - I've started plenty of 'em. Posted Image

However, what does not get covered enough is room treatments. Clearly, the room itself could have a major factor on the quality of sound that your system can produce. As suggested, lifting the speakers off the floor could make quite a difference in the sound.

Since you're young, don't get yourself too "holed up" into spending time updating and upgrading your system. Sure, upgrading can be fun, but do live a little, too. Posted Image

Even if you pass on the receiver upgrade this time around, there will be plenty of new receivers out in the next 8 - 12 months, should you reconsider. Or, you might even be able to find one of us selling our receiver - one that may have been on your short list while you were looking, for a nice price ... probably well under 1/2 the cost we originally paid for it. Posted Image
"My reality check ... just bounced"

#22 of 29 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 05:09 PM

If upgrading does not cut into your 'spring break' budget, then upgrade.

#23 of 29 OFFLINE   TimMc

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 02:11 PM

Matt, Matt - I'm sorry, but we're all going to have to ask you to reconsider. You're showing a level of discipline and maturity (though we dare not call it wisdom) far, far beyond your years - and you're making a lot of us look bad in the process. Please, we beg of you - break down and do something impetuous and stupid (megabuck digital interconnects would probably qualify) so we can all happily go back to our own upgrade wants...

Seriously - great call, IMO, and well-considered priorities too. The Advents should certainly hold you for a while and you'll likely have plenty of tasty choices in new gear in a couple of years. And enjoy school life while you can - it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience for most and something you'll always carry with you.

#24 of 29 OFFLINE   Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 02:57 PM

Tim,

We still might get Matt to upgrade yet. Posted Image

Today, I was in a pawn shop and saw a pair of Advent speakers like Matt has. Maybe, he'll be able to purchase them to replace his surround speakers. Then, he just needs to purchase a single Advent to be used for the center channel. Posted Image
"My reality check ... just bounced"

#25 of 29 OFFLINE   TimMc

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator

• 220 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 11:34 PM

Heck, if Matt could find three Advents to finish off a system w/ 5 identical speakers, he'd probably be ahead of 99% of the rest of us and maybe even qualify for a gold star from Dolby Labs. Or, maybe they would even give him a certificate good for three credits @ college???

#26 of 29 OFFLINE   Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted July 01 2004 - 05:56 PM

If the price was right I would not mind having an Advent center and surrounds. It would be a nice mix on modern and vintage. But I suppose it may be a waste to try and mind perfect conditions Advents when I plan on replacing them in a few years anyway.

#27 of 29 OFFLINE   Alan Wise

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator

• 236 posts

Posted July 02 2004 - 05:56 AM

Matt,
I think the best, most cost effective, bang for the buck, upgrade to make your system sound better this weekend would be a cold twelve pack of Sam Adams. You'd be amazed how the sound gets enhanced after three or so bottles.
Or, better yet, being in Wakefield, you can probably get a couple of Growlers of MT. Watchuesset Amber. Yeah, now there is an upgrade!

Happy 4th to all, Al. Wise
Al Wise
Nashua, NH.

#28 of 29 OFFLINE   Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi

Second Unit

• 327 posts

Posted July 02 2004 - 06:12 AM

Quote:
I think the best, most cost effective, bang for the buck, upgrade to make your system sound better this weekend would be a cold twelve pack of Sam Adams. You'd be amazed how the sound gets enhanced after three or so bottles.

This has truly proven to me a humorous thread! But you are right, I am always more amazed by the sound of my setup when I have had a few drinks.

#29 of 29 OFFLINE   EricRWem

EricRWem

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted July 03 2004 - 02:42 AM

This thread made me chuckle. A lot! Posted Image Posted Image