What's new

What 20th Century Fox catalog comedy movies do you want on DVD? (1 Viewer)

John*P

Second Unit
OK guys, which 20th Century Fox catalog comedy titles would you like to see on DVD? Here's my list...

License to Drive - Starring: Corey Feldman, Corey Haim and Heather Graham

Only the Lonely - Written and directed by Chris Columbus. Produced by John Hughes. Starring: John Candy, Ally Sheedy and Maureen O'Hara

Dutch - Written and produced by John Hughes. Starring: Ed O'Neill and Ethan Embry

Porky's Revenge - OK, to be honest, I could care less if this one was released, but it would be nice to have the entire Porky's trilogy available on DVD. I'd buy it. (I have the first two flicks, and I like PR much better than the second one...Porky wasn't even in the first sequel!)

I definitely want the first three movies I mentioned on DVD. If it was released, I'd buy Porky's Revenge, but if not, I won't lose any sleep. So, which Fox catalog comedy titles would you guys like to see on DVD?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Holy Matrimony

It's a 1943 comedy starring Monty Wooley (The Man Who Came to Dinner) and was nominated for the Best Screnplay Oscar.

Fox has never released it on video.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Bedazzled (1967) - One of my favorite comedies. The remake pales against the original film. One of the few Dudley Moore films I truly enjoy. Peter Cook is terrific in this film.
The Flim-Flam Man
A Guide For the Married Man - One of my guiltiest pleasures with a fine comedic performance from Walter Matthau.
Heaven Can Wait (1943) - Great use of color in this Ernst Lubitsch classic.
How To Steal A Million - Audrey Hepburn.
It Happens Every Spring - Used to watch this on tv all the time many years ago. Would love to see it released.
John Goldfarb, Please Come Home
Shock Treatment
Silent Movie
Silver Streak
Two for the Road - Again, Audrey Hepburn.
Turk 182! - Cheese, but fun cheese.
Will Scuccess Spoil Rock Hunter?

- Walter.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well I can never keep track of what films are owned by what studio, but I'll second the following that have been mentioned:

A Guide For the Married Man - nothing to feel guilty about

How To Steal A Million - this is coming on Dec. 7 :emoji_thumbsup:

Silver Streak - a true travesty that this isn't out yet. :thumbsdown:

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I forgot to add the Fox Preston Sturges' titles

The Beautiful Blonde from Bashful Bend
Unfaithfully Yours (1948)

George - Thanks for the information regarding How To Steal A Million. Hopefully Fox will see fit to release Two For The Road.

- Walter.

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor
Robin Hood: Men in Tights (Weren't we supposed to get this a long time ago?)
License to Drive *Heather Graham is HOT
Porky's Revenge

And even though they're not 20th Century Fox titles, I desperately want these two titles on DVD in 16:9 widescreen.

The Wizard (1989) - Fred Savage, Jenny Lewis, Luke Edwards, Beau Bridges, and Christian Slater (Universal)

Ladybugs (1992) - Rodney Dangerfield, Jonathan Brandis, and Vinessa Shaw (Paramount) *Vinessa Shaw is HOT

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I want a Robin Hood: Men in Tights Special Edition DVD!

"Gentlemen, lend me your ears!"
*pelted with ears*

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I've also been wanting "Robin Hood: Men In Tights". To this day, it still remains one of my all-time favourite comedies. I'm really surprised that it's taking this long to get it released.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I want "Downtown". It's a 1989 action-comedy-drama (released in 1990 for some peculiar reason) that was directed by Richard Benjamin and written by "Night Court" writer Nat Mauldin. It was a lower-budget take on the "Lethal Weapon"/"48 HRS" type of movie that starred Anthony Edwards, Forest Whittaker, Penelope Ann Miller, Joe Pantoliano and David Clennon. It had a great middle-school rap soundtrack and one character gets a death scene that precedes a similar one from 1996's "Fargo".

Also:

"The Pirate Movie"

"Unfaithfully Yours" (both the original and the Dudley Moore remake)

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

"Downtown" and "Night Court" both have that great mixture of comedy and drama.

John*P

Second Unit
Robin Hood: Men in Tights - I totally forgot about this one...I thought it was already on DVD for some reason. Well, this is another Fox comedy title I definitely want.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
All unreleased Mel Brooks films
THE LODGER
HANGOVER SQUARE
HEAVEN CAN WAIT(1943)
THE MAN IN THE ATTIC
THE UNDYING MONSTER(rare horror gem that is an imitation of THE WOLFMAN)
LIFEBOAT
BATMAN Television Series(I can dream, can't I?)

EDIT: Oops, I must have misread the title. I guess some of these movies aren't all that funny. :b

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
My picks (most of the post-1970 Fox comedies that I like are already on DVD):

THREE BLIND MICE (1938) --good little movie, later remade as HOW TO MARRRY A MILLIONAIRE (1953), with Loretta Young, Joel McCrae & David Niven
WIFE, HUSBAND & FRIEND (1939) --with Loretta Young & Warner Baxter
THE MAGNIFICENT DOPE (1942) --a fun screwball comedy with Henry Fonda, Don Ameche & Lynn Bari
HEAVEN CAN WAIT (1943) --a good choice for a "Fox Studio Classics" release
SITTING PRETTY (1948) --ditto
MR. BELVEDERE GOES TO COLLEGE (1949) --sequel to SITTING PRETTY
MR. BELVEDERE RINGS THE BELL (1951) --ditto
UNFAITHFULLY YOURS (1948)
THE BEAUTIFUL BLONDE FROM BASHFUL BEND (1949)
EVERYBODY DOES IT (1949) --a superior remake of WIFE, HUSBAND & FRIEND, with Paul Douglas & Linda Darnell
MISTER 880 (1950) --with Burt Lancaster, Dorothy McGuire & Edmund Gwenn
THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT (1956)
BACHELOR FLAT (1961) --Frank Tashlin comedy, with Terry-Thomas & Tuesday Weld
WHAT A WAY TO GO! (1964)
HOW TO STEAL A MILLION (1966) --apparently coming to R1 DVD later this year
THE FLIM-FLAM MAN (1967)

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Shock Treatment. Hands down. All I ask for is a anamorphic widescreen and Dolby Digital 2.0! ;)

Any unreleased Mel Brooks titles (and a re-release of History of the World: Part One).

Silver Streak.

Porky's Revenge.

Charles H

Screenwriter
If they were eclectic enough to bring out a Raquel Welch collection, why not a Clifton Webb collection? The Belvedere trilogy, FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, DREAMBOAT (a terrific comedy with Ginger Rogers), MR. SCOUTMASTER, ELOPEMENT, THE REMARKABLE MR. PENNYPACKER. Also: Where is CLUNY BROWN, A ROYAL SCANDAL, Preminger's THE FAN, THAT LADY IN ERMINE, EVERYBODY DOES IT (audio commentary by Celeste Holm), and the Ritz Brothers version of THE THREE MUSKETEERS (with an audio commentary by Gloria Stuart)? A second vote for THE BEAUTIFUL BLONDE FROM BASHFUL BEND (audio commentary by Ogla San Juan). Will Criterion be releasing UNFAITHFULLY YOURS (audio commentary by Barbara Lawrence) this year?

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Although certainly not the boy's best, I wouldn't mind a Laurel and Hardy box set of their Fox films. I did talk to someone at the studio and it seems there are legal issues involved, so I guess this won't happen anytime soon.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Did the studio tell you what kind of legal issues there were? This excuse doesn't ring true with me. The films were released on VHS (by Fox) with no apparent legal issues involved there. I'm curious what could have changed.

As a L&H fan, I want these films also. Rumor has it that Warners is considering putting together a box of the handful of L&H films they control. Hopefully Fox will follow suit.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks