Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

What 20th Century Fox catalog comedy movies do you want on DVD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
59 replies to this topic

#1 of 60 OFFLINE   John*P

John*P

Second Unit

• 419 posts

Posted June 26 2004 - 02:55 PM

OK guys, which 20th Century Fox catalog comedy titles would you like to see on DVD? Here's my list...

License to Drive - Starring: Corey Feldman, Corey Haim and Heather Graham

Only the Lonely - Written and directed by Chris Columbus. Produced by John Hughes. Starring: John Candy, Ally Sheedy and Maureen O'Hara

Dutch - Written and produced by John Hughes. Starring: Ed O'Neill and Ethan Embry

Porky's Revenge - OK, to be honest, I could care less if this one was released, but it would be nice to have the entire Porky's trilogy available on DVD. I'd buy it. (I have the first two flicks, and I like PR much better than the second one...Porky wasn't even in the first sequel!)

I definitely want the first three movies I mentioned on DVD. If it was released, I'd buy Porky's Revenge, but if not, I won't lose any sleep. So, which Fox catalog comedy titles would you guys like to see on DVD?

#2 of 60 OFFLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,474 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted June 26 2004 - 03:41 PM

Holy Matrimony

It's a 1943 comedy starring Monty Wooley (The Man Who Came to Dinner) and was nominated for the Best Screnplay Oscar.

Fox has never released it on video.

#3 of 60 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,777 posts

Posted June 26 2004 - 03:49 PM

Bedazzled (1967) - One of my favorite comedies. The remake pales against the original film. One of the few Dudley Moore films I truly enjoy. Peter Cook is terrific in this film.
The Flim-Flam Man
A Guide For the Married Man - One of my guiltiest pleasures with a fine comedic performance from Walter Matthau.
Heaven Can Wait (1943) - Great use of color in this Ernst Lubitsch classic.
How To Steal A Million - Audrey Hepburn.
It Happens Every Spring - Used to watch this on tv all the time many years ago. Would love to see it released.
John Goldfarb, Please Come Home
Shock Treatment
Silent Movie
Silver Streak
Two for the Road - Again, Audrey Hepburn.
Turk 182! - Cheese, but fun cheese.
Will Scuccess Spoil Rock Hunter?

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#4 of 60 OFFLINE   george kaplan

george kaplan

Executive Producer

• 13,064 posts

Posted June 26 2004 - 03:57 PM

Well I can never keep track of what films are owned by what studio, but I'll second the following that have been mentioned:

A Guide For the Married Man - nothing to feel guilty about

How To Steal A Million - this is coming on Dec. 7 Posted Image

Silver Streak - a true travesty that this isn't out yet. Posted Image
"Movies should be like amusement parks. People should go to them to have fun." - Billy Wilder

"Subtitles good. Hollywood bad." - Tarzan, Sight & Sound 2012 voter.

"My films are not slices of life, they are pieces of cake." - Alfred Hitchcock"My great humility is just one of the many reasons that I...

#5 of 60 OFFLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,777 posts

Posted June 26 2004 - 04:10 PM

I forgot to add the Fox Preston Sturges' titles

The Beautiful Blonde from Bashful Bend
Unfaithfully Yours (1948)

George - Thanks for the information regarding How To Steal A Million. Hopefully Fox will see fit to release Two For The Road.

- Walter.

Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#6 of 60 OFFLINE   Scott Temple

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor

• 535 posts

Posted June 26 2004 - 04:34 PM

Robin Hood: Men in Tights (Weren't we supposed to get this a long time ago?)
License to Drive *Heather Graham is HOT
Porky's Revenge

And even though they're not 20th Century Fox titles, I desperately want these two titles on DVD in 16:9 widescreen.

The Wizard (1989) - Fred Savage, Jenny Lewis, Luke Edwards, Beau Bridges, and Christian Slater (Universal)

Ladybugs (1992) - Rodney Dangerfield, Jonathan Brandis, and Vinessa Shaw (Paramount) *Vinessa Shaw is HOT
Lacey Chabert is so fetch!
My DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray Disc library

#7 of 60 OFFLINE   Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter

Producer

• 4,528 posts

Posted June 26 2004 - 05:45 PM

I want a Robin Hood: Men in Tights Special Edition DVD!

"Gentlemen, lend me your ears!"
*pelted with ears*

#8 of 60 OFFLINE   Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted June 26 2004 - 06:12 PM

I've also been wanting "Robin Hood: Men In Tights". To this day, it still remains one of my all-time favourite comedies. I'm really surprised that it's taking this long to get it released.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#9 of 60 OFFLINE   Mark_TS

Mark_TS

Screenwriter

• 1,700 posts

Posted June 26 2004 - 06:16 PM

BRING ON BEDAZZLED! (1967)Posted Image
The Official HTF 'elitist' lol....
"War is God's way of teaching Americans Geography"-Ambrose Bierce

#10 of 60 OFFLINE   Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 40,249 posts

Posted June 26 2004 - 08:20 PM

Silent Movie
High Anxiety
Silver Streak

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders  Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive Click Here for our complete DVD review archive

Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule  Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#11 of 60 OFFLINE   John Kilduff

John Kilduff

Screenwriter

• 1,663 posts

Posted June 27 2004 - 02:06 AM

I want "Downtown". It's a 1989 action-comedy-drama (released in 1990 for some peculiar reason) that was directed by Richard Benjamin and written by "Night Court" writer Nat Mauldin. It was a lower-budget take on the "Lethal Weapon"/"48 HRS" type of movie that starred Anthony Edwards, Forest Whittaker, Penelope Ann Miller, Joe Pantoliano and David Clennon. It had a great middle-school rap soundtrack and one character gets a death scene that precedes a similar one from 1996's "Fargo".

Also:

"The Pirate Movie"

"Unfaithfully Yours" (both the original and the Dudley Moore remake)

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

"Downtown" and "Night Court" both have that great mixture of comedy and drama.
Forget the Rewind. If you want real retro action, go to http://www.retrojunk.com.

Proud member of the American Film Institute and a Wal-Mart employee (Yes, you can be both).

From Michelle Pfeiffer to Daryl Hannah and all points in-between, I love 80s women. Don't believe me? Scope out this link: htt.....

#12 of 60 OFFLINE   John*P

John*P

Second Unit

• 419 posts

Posted June 27 2004 - 02:10 AM

Robin Hood: Men in Tights - I totally forgot about this one...I thought it was already on DVD for some reason. Well, this is another Fox comedy title I definitely want.

#13 of 60 OFFLINE   Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,858 posts

Posted June 27 2004 - 02:32 AM

All unreleased Mel Brooks films
THE LODGER
HANGOVER SQUARE
HEAVEN CAN WAIT(1943)
THE MAN IN THE ATTIC
THE UNDYING MONSTER(rare horror gem that is an imitation of THE WOLFMAN)
LIFEBOAT
BATMAN Television Series(I can dream, can't I?)

EDIT: Oops, I must have misread the title. I guess some of these movies aren't all that funny. :b

#14 of 60 OFFLINE   Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,633 posts

Posted June 27 2004 - 03:15 AM

My picks (most of the post-1970 Fox comedies that I like are already on DVD):

THREE BLIND MICE (1938) --good little movie, later remade as HOW TO MARRRY A MILLIONAIRE (1953), with Loretta Young, Joel McCrae & David Niven
WIFE, HUSBAND & FRIEND (1939) --with Loretta Young & Warner Baxter
THE MAGNIFICENT DOPE (1942) --a fun screwball comedy with Henry Fonda, Don Ameche & Lynn Bari
HEAVEN CAN WAIT (1943) --a good choice for a "Fox Studio Classics" release
SITTING PRETTY (1948) --ditto
MR. BELVEDERE GOES TO COLLEGE (1949) --sequel to SITTING PRETTY
MR. BELVEDERE RINGS THE BELL (1951) --ditto
UNFAITHFULLY YOURS (1948)
THE BEAUTIFUL BLONDE FROM BASHFUL BEND (1949)
EVERYBODY DOES IT (1949) --a superior remake of WIFE, HUSBAND & FRIEND, with Paul Douglas & Linda Darnell
MISTER 880 (1950) --with Burt Lancaster, Dorothy McGuire & Edmund Gwenn
THE GIRL CAN'T HELP IT (1956)
BACHELOR FLAT (1961) --Frank Tashlin comedy, with Terry-Thomas & Tuesday Weld
WHAT A WAY TO GO! (1964)
HOW TO STEAL A MILLION (1966) --apparently coming to R1 DVD later this year
THE FLIM-FLAM MAN (1967)

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#15 of 60 OFFLINE   Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel

Screenwriter

• 2,284 posts

Posted June 27 2004 - 08:59 AM

Shock Treatment. Hands down. All I ask for is a anamorphic widescreen and Dolby Digital 2.0! Posted Image

Any unreleased Mel Brooks titles (and a re-release of History of the World: Part One).

Silver Streak.

Porky's Revenge.

#16 of 60 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted June 27 2004 - 09:12 AM

If they were eclectic enough to bring out a Raquel Welch collection, why not a Clifton Webb collection? The Belvedere trilogy, FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, DREAMBOAT (a terrific comedy with Ginger Rogers), MR. SCOUTMASTER, ELOPEMENT, THE REMARKABLE MR. PENNYPACKER. Also: Where is CLUNY BROWN, A ROYAL SCANDAL, Preminger's THE FAN, THAT LADY IN ERMINE, EVERYBODY DOES IT (audio commentary by Celeste Holm), and the Ritz Brothers version of THE THREE MUSKETEERS (with an audio commentary by Gloria Stuart)? A second vote for THE BEAUTIFUL BLONDE FROM BASHFUL BEND (audio commentary by Ogla San Juan). Will Criterion be releasing UNFAITHFULLY YOURS (audio commentary by Barbara Lawrence) this year?
Charles Hoyt

#17 of 60 OFFLINE   John Morgan

John Morgan

Supporting Actor

• 683 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted June 27 2004 - 10:18 AM

Although certainly not the boy's best, I wouldn't mind a Laurel and Hardy box set of their Fox films. I did talk to someone at the studio and it seems there are legal issues involved, so I guess this won't happen anytime soon.

#18 of 60 OFFLINE   Rob P S

Rob P S

Screenwriter

• 1,995 posts

Posted June 27 2004 - 01:20 PM

Mischief
Rhinestone
Scavenger Hunt
Six Pack
Young Doctors in Love

#19 of 60 OFFLINE   Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,124 posts

Posted June 27 2004 - 01:30 PM

Bedazzled
High Anxiety
Silent Movie

and, God help me,

Rhinestone (which is funny for all the wrong reasons)

#20 of 60 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,285 posts

Posted June 27 2004 - 01:32 PM

Quote:
Although certainly not the boy's best, I wouldn't mind a Laurel and Hardy box set of their Fox films. I did talk to someone at the studio and it seems there are legal issues involved, so I guess this won't happen anytime soon.

Did the studio tell you what kind of legal issues there were? This excuse doesn't ring true with me. The films were released on VHS (by Fox) with no apparent legal issues involved there. I'm curious what could have changed.

As a L&H fan, I want these films also. Rumor has it that Warners is considering putting together a box of the handful of L&H films they control. Hopefully Fox will follow suit.

Steve
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy