What's new

Spider-Man 2.5 (yes, it's already planned!) (merged) (1 Viewer)

MattHR

Screenwriter
Raimi: Extended Spider-Man 2 Planned
Author: FRED TOPEL
[email protected]
Posted: June 25, 2004

Director Sam Raimi said Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment is planning an extended cut of Spider-Man 2, to be called Spider-Man 2.5 and to be released on DVD long after the theatrical cut of Spider-Man 2 streets.

During a press conference, Raimi said he is happy with the theatrical cut, which he estimates was only trimmed by five minutes, but he previewed the sorts of moments that might be reinstated.

“There’s 10 seconds here that was a nice moment, but it’s a little slow,” Raimi said. “Let’s trim that up to keep the pace going. This is interesting, but it turns out that information in this particular scene is clear. … That’s pretty much the type of things that were cut out.”

He teased the press with one complete scene featuring actor J.K. Simmons as the Daily Bugle editor that could be included in the extended cut.

“I don’t want to tell you [about it,” he said. “It’s a surprise.”

Raimi joked that the idea of doing extended cuts puts pressure on fathers to buy their children every incarnation of a film.

“I think that their thinking is that once the dad has spent the money to take the family to the movies, and then once the dad has bought the kid the DVD, they can still smell a few more bucks from the dad’s pocket,” he joked.

Extras planned for the theatrical cut DVD include behind-the-scenes featurettes, trailers, TV spots and more standard bonus features. Raimi was not directly involved in the production of those, but does exert his approval over the material.

“I do approve these things. I watch all of them, and I say, ‘Please, let’s not incorporate that. It seems too out of character for Spider-Man’ or ‘I don’t think the kids will like this,’” he said. “I usually make some edits and suggestions in each and every piece where I try not to give away too much of the magic unless it’s necessary. But really, it’s put together by other editors and filmmakers.”

Spider-Man 2 opens theatrically this week.

Matt Czyz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matt Czyz
Yeah, I'll shell out 20 or so bucks for an extra scene. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight. I hate CTHE.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
Well, after Xmen 1.5 being the exact same movie (I'll never understand that one), some will just assume Spiderman 1.5 is as well.

Patrick Soucy

Second Unit
Yes, I hate the X-Men 1.5 title, and Spider-Man 2.5 is very lame! :thumbsdown:

Call it Director's Cut, Extented Edition, Unrated or whatever, but never change the title of the movie... In a DVD Collection, it's very ugly:

X-Men 1.5
X-Men 2
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2.5

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
It's CTS/Sony... I'm not surprised one bit.

I really hope they don't purchase MGM, and that Warner gets them instead.

Andrew CM

Grip
It should be Spiderman 2 + 5. 5 stands for the xtra $5 they are going to charge for the version which only contains a worthless 5 extra minutes which is not even worth 5 minutes of my time.

However, it may contain a 5 minute trailer of Spiderman 3 (or should that be 3.5)?

This is almost as bad as the Kill Bill fiasco.

Jeez, it took me 5 minutes to get this off my chest!

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
So let's see, we'll have:

Spiderman 2 Widescreen
Spiderman 2 Full Screen
Spiderman 2 Superbit
Spiderman 2 Deluxe
Spiderman 2.5 Widescreen
Spiderman 2.5 Full Screen
Spiderman 2.5 Superbit
Spiderman 2.5 Deluxe

Way to go CTHE!

Matthew Marino

Stunt Coordinator
This may not bother me if they released the theatrical and extended at the same time, but the whole "long after the theatrical cut streets" just gets on my nerves. Smug bastards.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
its takes longer to go back and put footage back into the movie then just then showing deleted footage separately.. that is why it takes the lotr EE to come out later.
common sense to the long wait.
JACOB

Tiago_J

Stunt Coordinator
Another great quote:

“I usually make some edits and suggestions in each and every piece where I try not to give away too much of the magic unless it’s necessary . But really, it’s put together by other editors and filmmakers.”

Man, as a fan, I thought he did a great job with the 1st movie and the 2nd one actually looks even better (and according to the reviews I've read so far, it is) but this quote plain and simply sucks. "(...)try not to give away too much of the magic unless it’s necessary(...)". I wonder if he's een any of the LOTR EE DVD's... Too much of the magic? Sheesh. I actually wonder if he wasn't one of the responsibles for the 1st one's DVD features and for the weak in content documentaries.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks