Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Good 6x9 at a reasonable price?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Chuck Schilling

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted June 25 2004 - 08:19 AM

I'm looking to replace the ancient Pioneers in the rear deck of my even more ancient Camry and was hoping for some suggestions. I have a 40w (well, that's what Clarion claims anyway) head unit and, at least for the moment, not planning to add an amp. I'm looking for solid all-around performance - not earthshattering bass, by any means, but something which images well and really hits the mids accurately. Looking to spend somewhere around $250/max.

These speakers are for my beater car, and I'm not interested in breaking the bank on the sound system, if you know what I mean. With all that said, I very much welcome any recommendations y'all might be gracious enough to throw my way.

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Matt`G

Matt`G

Agent

• 36 posts

Posted June 29 2004 - 11:56 AM

I've got a pair of MB Quart DKC 169 6x9's as my rear deck. I've had em for a few years, and they've been good speakers. When I first got them I ran them off a Denon head unit, and it pushed them without a problem. I put them on a seperate amplifier (~80wpc) soon afterwards, and they sound even better now.

If you look around on that site, I see that there's some new 3way MB Quart 6x9's for the same price. You might want to consider them as well.

I've heard some good things about Focal coaxial's... I have a pair of their components and can vouch for those. Good luck with your search!
Matt G

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   David.G

David.G

Stunt Coordinator

• 123 posts

Posted June 30 2004 - 06:14 AM

i'm not one for oval speakers and would suggest that for SQ go with round 6.5 speakers. You can buy spacers that will convert a 6x9 opening to fit a 6.5. But if you're looking for a 6x9 the MB are good but i'd suggest the Boston 6x9s. I think its the NX97 for 199.99. They're very good 6x9s and stay focused at high volumes. Also i've heard very good things about the Polk/Momo 6x9s and were impressed with the 6.5s when i listened to them. Also, you may want to look into CDT Audio if you were interested in converting the 6x9 opening to hold a 6.5 speaker. I'm changing my setup to all CDT components by the end of the year and using either JL or Focal for mini-subs drivers.
David is the car audio guy, Jason is the home audio so if you see a post in car audio thats David, if in Home thats more than likely Jason. Confusing isn't it!!! Also i hope i am allowed to put my sounddomain down on my equipment page. Its car audio but you guys might enjoy it.

http://members.sou...

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Matt Hobbes

Matt Hobbes

Agent

• 48 posts

Posted July 01 2004 - 07:12 AM

I've seen focal recommended. I had polks years ago in my first car that I thought sounded pretty good.
hobbes