What's new

THE PRODUCERS (2005) - Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Cast (in credits order)

Nathan Lane .... Max Bialystock (Great!)

Matthew Broderick .... Leo Bloom (Great!)

Nicole Kidman .... Ulla (Bad - What was wrong with Cady Huffman? She won a Tony for the role. Boo.)

Will Ferrell .... Franz Liebkind (Perfect! Almost too perfect.)

Roger Bart .... Carmen Ghia (No opinion.)

Gary Beach .... Roger De Bris (another vet from the Broadway version)

The film will be directed by choreographer Susan Stroman, who also directed the Broadway version.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
Cast (in credits order)

Nathan Lane .... Max Bialystock (Great!)

Matthew Broderick .... Leo Bloom (Great!)

Nicole Kidman .... Ulla (Bad - What was wrong with Cady Huffman? She won a Tony for the role. Boo.)

Will Ferrell .... Franz Liebkind (Perfect! Almost too perfect.)

Roger Bart .... Carmen Ghia (No opinion.)

Gary Beach .... Roger De Bris (another vet from the Broadway version)

The film will be directed by choreographer Susan Stroman, who also directed the Broadway version.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
My girlfriend and I just saw the stage version of this in Toronto two weekends ago and loved it. Different cast, obviously, but still one seriously funny show, arguably funnier than the film that inspired it.

Probably the most enjoyably crass and tasteless experience I've had all year! Should translate to film quite naturally! I can see this being a big hit since it combines a strong score with colourful production design and an easy appeal to the toilet humour generation. Could satisfy a lot of different tastes (or lack thereof)

is there anywhere I can find a story about this? I'd love to send her a link.

We'll definitely be checking this out when it comes out. The Nazi pigeons should be interesting!

I'm assuming Cady Huffman played Ula? Great part for a tall, voluptuous actress: "If you gotTITS, flauntTITS!"

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
My girlfriend and I just saw the stage version of this in Toronto two weekends ago and loved it. Different cast, obviously, but still one seriously funny show, arguably funnier than the film that inspired it.

Probably the most enjoyably crass and tasteless experience I've had all year! Should translate to film quite naturally! I can see this being a big hit since it combines a strong score with colourful production design and an easy appeal to the toilet humour generation. Could satisfy a lot of different tastes (or lack thereof)

is there anywhere I can find a story about this? I'd love to send her a link.

We'll definitely be checking this out when it comes out. The Nazi pigeons should be interesting!

I'm assuming Cady Huffman played Ula? Great part for a tall, voluptuous actress: "If you gotTITS, flauntTITS!"

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I was really looking forward to this until I heard Will Ferrell was in it. I just saw a trailer for "Anchorman" a few minutes ago and am still cringing. :thumbsdown:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I was really looking forward to this until I heard Will Ferrell was in it. I just saw a trailer for "Anchorman" a few minutes ago and am still cringing. :thumbsdown:

Galen_V

Second Unit

Trust me when I say this: these two not only stole the show from Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick, they completely pulled the rug out from underneath them. I really can't wait for this oen to come out, but I can only imagine what Mel Brooks's credit will be (Screenplay Based on the Play Based on the Original Screenplay by Mel Brooks :p))

Galen_V

Second Unit

Trust me when I say this: these two not only stole the show from Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick, they completely pulled the rug out from underneath them. I really can't wait for this oen to come out, but I can only imagine what Mel Brooks's credit will be (Screenplay Based on the Play Based on the Original Screenplay by Mel Brooks :p))

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Almost makes you wonder if it would get nominated, how it would be handled (not oscar, but otherwise)

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

I dunno - Will Ferrell has the rare comic ability to unashamedly make an 'out there' character his own purely through anything-for-a-laugh. With the exception of the husband and wife school teachers, I've enjoyed all of Ferrell's character portrayals (Especially Alex Trebek and James Lipton - Janet Reno was a blast..., and the Spartan cheerleaders were 'car wreck' hilarious.)

If not as Franz Liebkind, Roger Debris, then...Mind you, "Mr. Belvedere" Christopher Hewitt is a hard one to top.

"Ah! Messrs. Bialystock and Bloom, I presume! Forgive the pun."
"What pun?"
"Shut up! He thinks he's funny!"

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Just reading that line made me laugh out loud.

I really am looking forward to this film. The original is a true classic, a work of genius (I was glad to see Springtime For Hitler listed in the AFI Songs list). I'm seeing the show (Australian production) in a couple of months, and can barely wait.

My problem with the casting is with the big names. Particularly Will Farrell. One of the great things about Kenneth Mars's performance as Liebkind is the fact that he was stupid, but also very threatening. Farrell can to the former, I don't know about the latter.

As for Nicole - I have read articles where both Matthew Broderick and Mel Brooks discuss the need to pad out Ms Kidman in certain parts. Ulla should not need padding. It should all be natural.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
Having seen the original Broadway production, I am very much looking forward to seeing this one. The original cast was awesome. I don't know why Cady Huffman won't be in this film version. But it's nice to see almost everyone else from the original cast is involved including Roger Bart and Gary Beach.

~Edwin

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Really? You don't know why?

The film's stars will be Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick. Very talented people, and I look forward to seeing their performances in the film. But they are not exactly box office draws. So, you put a couple of big stars (Kidman and Farrell) in supporting roles, and bang, you have big names that you can put in a trailer and hope they will attract people. Sad for Cady Huffman to miss out, but that's the way Hollywood is.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

Sorry, but Ferrell has yet to show me anything but his ability to mug shamelessly for the camera (and yes, that includes all of the characters you've mentioned). It's a weakness shared by most of the people who have come out of SNL in the last decade or so. Given the material, that quality just might work here. But as I said, it remains to be seen.

M.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member

They may not be box office draws theatrically but stagewise, it's a totally different story. Just the mere association of those two names with the word "Producers" put box office fire during the show's original and special engagement return runs. Those two names alone are guaranteed box office draw for this film.

I wonder if the interest would still be there if Lane and Broderick had been replaced by Brad Oscar and Martin Short.

~Edwin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks