What's new

The Night Stalker / The Night Strangler Re-release (1 Viewer)

Robert Saccone

Premium
The Night Stalker / The Night Strangler double movie disc is being re-released in August. I see on DVD Empire that the running time of the new release is longer. 164 minutes for the new one compared to 147 minutes of the original. Any one know what new content there maybe? Could it be the rumored extended version of The Night Strangler with the missing Jimmy Stacks scene? Also, does anyone know if they're going to fix the scene by the pool in The Night Stalker. In this scene Carl is paged to pickup the phone but on the disc the page calling him to pickup the phone is not heard. He just walks over and picks up the phone as if has ESP and knows there's a call for him.

Robert Saccone

Premium
The Night Stalker / The Night Strangler double movie disc is being re-released in August. I see on DVD Empire that the running time of the new release is longer. 164 minutes for the new one compared to 147 minutes of the original. Any one know what new content there maybe? Could it be the rumored extended version of The Night Strangler with the missing Jimmy Stacks scene? Also, does anyone know if they're going to fix the scene by the pool in The Night Stalker. In this scene Carl is paged to pickup the phone but on the disc the page calling him to pickup the phone is not heard. He just walks over and picks up the phone as if has ESP and knows there's a call for him.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
The bonus feature is an interview with Dan Curtis.

The Stacks scene is not known to exist, nor any of the trims made to produce the 90 min cut.

I had a friend at MGM notify the tech services dept about the missing audio 'hotel page' bit, so they were at least aware to look for it...Of course it all depends on the master tape delivered to MGM by ABC, since they're using existing transfers for all the ABC pickups. Not a problem though, since the previous Anchor Bay transfers looking stunning. We'll cross our fingers for a fix on the audio blooper.

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
The bonus feature is an interview with Dan Curtis.

The Stacks scene is not known to exist, nor any of the trims made to produce the 90 min cut.

I had a friend at MGM notify the tech services dept about the missing audio 'hotel page' bit, so they were at least aware to look for it...Of course it all depends on the master tape delivered to MGM by ABC, since they're using existing transfers for all the ABC pickups. Not a problem though, since the previous Anchor Bay transfers looking stunning. We'll cross our fingers for a fix on the audio blooper.

mark-edk

Second Unit
The existing version of Night Strangler is already expanded; it's about 10-12 minutes longer than the network version (which ran in a 90-minute time slot and so only ran about 75 minutes or so). The footage with Al Lewis as the tramp (and other stuff as well) was reinserted into the film to run it in a 2-hour time slot for local statations, so that without commericials it times out at around 1:30, and that expanded version is what's on the Anchor Bay dvd. 164 minutes sounds about right for the 75 + 90 minutes, so it's almost certainly the same version as the Anchor Bay (which is not 147 minutes).

mark-edk

Second Unit
The existing version of Night Strangler is already expanded; it's about 10-12 minutes longer than the network version (which ran in a 90-minute time slot and so only ran about 75 minutes or so). The footage with Al Lewis as the tramp (and other stuff as well) was reinserted into the film to run it in a 2-hour time slot for local statations, so that without commericials it times out at around 1:30, and that expanded version is what's on the Anchor Bay dvd. 164 minutes sounds about right for the 75 + 90 minutes, so it's almost certainly the same version as the Anchor Bay (which is not 147 minutes).

Robert Saccone

Premium
Not sure if I'll double-dip just for the Dan Curtis interview.
Too bad there isn't more extras like and interview with Darren McGavin or John Llewellyn Moxey.

Robert Saccone

Premium
Not sure if I'll double-dip just for the Dan Curtis interview.
Too bad there isn't more extras like and interview with Darren McGavin or John Llewellyn Moxey.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I'm just hoping that this re-release will be a sign of a season set for Kolchak: The Night Stalker.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
I'm just hoping that this re-release will be a sign of a season set for Kolchak: The Night Stalker.

Robert Saccone

Premium

I also wish the series would be put out in a box set but I'd be surprised if one had anything to do with the other since this is being done by MGM (Anchor Bay previously) and the series is owned by Universal. Also Dan Curtis the producer of both movies had nothing to do with the series.

Robert Saccone

Premium

I also wish the series would be put out in a box set but I'd be surprised if one had anything to do with the other since this is being done by MGM (Anchor Bay previously) and the series is owned by Universal. Also Dan Curtis the producer of both movies had nothing to do with the series.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I was going to Double dip anyhow since my Anchor bay copy has some pixilization defects on Side 2. Now it's a definate. Now let's get the series!

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I never got the first edition (pure-ass laziness on my part!) but will absolutely pick up this one. I can remember when the movies first came out on TV (yeah, I'm that old!) and have been into the old "reliving the past mode" lately and these movies should scratch that itch nicely.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Hmm...as others have stated I wasn't going to double dip as I was happy with the AB version but as soon as I see the MGM version for myself (the local mom & pop rental are getting it) I just might.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks