Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Night Stalker / The Night Strangler Re-release

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 OFFLINE   Robert Saccone

Robert Saccone

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 12:29 PM

The Night Stalker / The Night Strangler double movie disc is being re-released in August. I see on DVD Empire that the running time of the new release is longer. 164 minutes for the new one compared to 147 minutes of the original. Any one know what new content there maybe? Could it be the rumored extended version of The Night Strangler with the missing Jimmy Stacks scene? Also, does anyone know if they're going to fix the scene by the pool in The Night Stalker. In this scene Carl is paged to pickup the phone but on the disc the page calling him to pickup the phone is not heard. He just walks over and picks up the phone as if has ESP and knows there's a call for him.

#2 of 23 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 861 posts
  • LocationI.E.,So Cal

Posted June 23 2004 - 01:46 PM

If what you say is true, I'd double dip...but first we need a review to verify it! Posted Image
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   Darren Gross

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 05:14 PM

The bonus feature is an interview with Dan Curtis.

The Stacks scene is not known to exist, nor any of the trims made to produce the 90 min cut.

I had a friend at MGM notify the tech services dept about the missing audio 'hotel page' bit, so they were at least aware to look for it...Of course it all depends on the master tape delivered to MGM by ABC, since they're using existing transfers for all the ABC pickups. Not a problem though, since the previous Anchor Bay transfers looking stunning. We'll cross our fingers for a fix on the audio blooper.

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   mark-edk

mark-edk

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 05:16 PM

The existing version of Night Strangler is already expanded; it's about 10-12 minutes longer than the network version (which ran in a 90-minute time slot and so only ran about 75 minutes or so). The footage with Al Lewis as the tramp (and other stuff as well) was reinserted into the film to run it in a 2-hour time slot for local statations, so that without commericials it times out at around 1:30, and that expanded version is what's on the Anchor Bay dvd. 164 minutes sounds about right for the 75 + 90 minutes, so it's almost certainly the same version as the Anchor Bay (which is not 147 minutes).

#5 of 23 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 09:06 PM

Does this contain the same versions as seen on the Laserdisc?

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   Robert Saccone

Robert Saccone

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted June 24 2004 - 01:03 AM

Not sure if I'll double-dip just for the Dan Curtis interview.
Too bad there isn't more extras like and interview with Darren McGavin or John Llewellyn Moxey.

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   Tommy G

Tommy G

Screenwriter

• 1,235 posts

Posted June 24 2004 - 01:20 AM

I'm just hoping that this re-release will be a sign of a season set for Kolchak: The Night Stalker.
Please release The Goodies on Region 1 DVD
My DVDs

#8 of 23 OFFLINE   Robert Saccone

Robert Saccone

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted June 24 2004 - 06:02 AM

Quote:
I'm just hoping that this re-release will be a sign of a season set for Kolchak: The Night Stalker.

I also wish the series would be put out in a box set but I'd be surprised if one had anything to do with the other since this is being done by MGM (Anchor Bay previously) and the series is owned by Universal. Also Dan Curtis the producer of both movies had nothing to do with the series.

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   Robert Saccone

Robert Saccone

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 12:29 PM

The Night Stalker / The Night Strangler double movie disc is being re-released in August. I see on DVD Empire that the running time of the new release is longer. 164 minutes for the new one compared to 147 minutes of the original. Any one know what new content there maybe? Could it be the rumored extended version of The Night Strangler with the missing Jimmy Stacks scene? Also, does anyone know if they're going to fix the scene by the pool in The Night Stalker. In this scene Carl is paged to pickup the phone but on the disc the page calling him to pickup the phone is not heard. He just walks over and picks up the phone as if has ESP and knows there's a call for him.

#10 of 23 OFFLINE   John Sparks

John Sparks

Supporting Actor

• 861 posts
  • LocationI.E.,So Cal

Posted June 23 2004 - 01:46 PM

If what you say is true, I'd double dip...but first we need a review to verify it! Posted Image
...retired at last...and Ray Harryhausen at my side!!!

My equipment consists of:

Epson 9500 UB PJ(Avical ISFd); 110" JKP Affinity Screen; Panny BD30 Player; Tosh HDA1 Player; Definitive Speakers(center, towers, rear); Onkyo 608 A/V Receiver; Nevo Q50 Remote; TWC HD Cable Box; Panamax Line Conditioner.

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   Darren Gross

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor

• 500 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 05:14 PM

The bonus feature is an interview with Dan Curtis.

The Stacks scene is not known to exist, nor any of the trims made to produce the 90 min cut.

I had a friend at MGM notify the tech services dept about the missing audio 'hotel page' bit, so they were at least aware to look for it...Of course it all depends on the master tape delivered to MGM by ABC, since they're using existing transfers for all the ABC pickups. Not a problem though, since the previous Anchor Bay transfers looking stunning. We'll cross our fingers for a fix on the audio blooper.

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   mark-edk

mark-edk

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 05:16 PM

The existing version of Night Strangler is already expanded; it's about 10-12 minutes longer than the network version (which ran in a 90-minute time slot and so only ran about 75 minutes or so). The footage with Al Lewis as the tramp (and other stuff as well) was reinserted into the film to run it in a 2-hour time slot for local statations, so that without commericials it times out at around 1:30, and that expanded version is what's on the Anchor Bay dvd. 164 minutes sounds about right for the 75 + 90 minutes, so it's almost certainly the same version as the Anchor Bay (which is not 147 minutes).

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   Ernest Rister

Ernest Rister

Producer

• 4,148 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 09:06 PM

Does this contain the same versions as seen on the Laserdisc?

#14 of 23 OFFLINE   Robert Saccone

Robert Saccone

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted June 24 2004 - 01:03 AM

Not sure if I'll double-dip just for the Dan Curtis interview.
Too bad there isn't more extras like and interview with Darren McGavin or John Llewellyn Moxey.

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   Tommy G

Tommy G

Screenwriter

• 1,235 posts

Posted June 24 2004 - 01:20 AM

Please release The Goodies on Region 1 DVD
My DVDs

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   Robert Saccone

Robert Saccone

Stunt Coordinator

• 67 posts

Posted June 24 2004 - 06:02 AM

Quote:

I also wish the series would be put out in a box set but I'd be surprised if one had anything to do with the other since this is being done by MGM (Anchor Bay previously) and the series is owned by Universal. Also Dan Curtis the producer of both movies had nothing to do with the series.

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   Brett C

Brett C

Second Unit

• 269 posts

Posted August 10 2004 - 11:06 PM

A review has popped up for the new release,and MGM have restored the missing audio! I'll upgrade my copy for sure now.

http://dvddrive-in.c....angler7273.htm

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted August 11 2004 - 01:28 AM

I was going to Double dip anyhow since my Anchor bay copy has some pixilization defects on Side 2. Now it's a definate. Now let's get the series!
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   Jordan_E

Jordan_E

Screenwriter

• 2,233 posts

Posted August 11 2004 - 02:47 AM

I never got the first edition (pure-ass laziness on my part!) but will absolutely pick up this one. I can remember when the movies first came out on TV (yeah, I'm that old!) and have been into the old "reliving the past mode" lately and these movies should scratch that itch nicely.
And you believe, at heart, everyone's a killer...

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted August 11 2004 - 09:22 AM

Hmm...as others have stated I wasn't going to double dip as I was happy with the AB version but as soon as I see the MGM version for myself (the local mom & pop rental are getting it) I just might.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

Forum Nav Content I Follow