What's new

Please help me decide on a pre/pro - anthem, EAD, etc. (1 Viewer)

Kincade

Second Unit
I'm hoping some of you can help me out with a few choices. I've decided to sell my 1 month old AVR7200 and go with the pre-pro route. I'm getting a little confused though, looking through all these choices - I can't figure out from the mfr's webpages what exactly some of these have???

My criteria is the following:

-2 channel music is VERY important. I have a Jolida tube CDP that I don't want to mess up. ;-)

-7.1. I already have the speakers, so I'd like to be able to use them.

-DPLIIx. I've gotten so used to watching regular tv and non DD/DTS movies in Logic7, that I don't think I can do without a surround mode for 2 channel.

-Multichannel music. Just bought a Denon 2900, mostly to have good SACD/DVD-A music. I believe I need an analog passthru for this?

-Crossover settings. I have full range mains, but everything else needs to be crossed over higher... This is probably less important than the others

Budget is $1-2k, although I'd obviously rather fall in at the lower end. :D

Here's what seems to fall within my range:

*Anthem AVM20

*EAD Encore/Ovation/8000pro (latter of which seems to cost too much for my budget)

*B&K ref 30/50

*Aragon soundstage/stage 1

*Sunfire theater grand I/II, III seems to be too expensive

*Sherwood P965

*Rotel RSP-1068

*Outlaw 950

Arcam / Krell / Bryston all seem to be beyond my price range.

So, can anyone give me a push in the right direction? Most of those listed are not available locally, so demoing all but the Rotel is out of the question.
:frowning:

Thanks in advance!

Kincade

Second Unit
I'm hoping some of you can help me out with a few choices. I've decided to sell my 1 month old AVR7200 and go with the pre-pro route. I'm getting a little confused though, looking through all these choices - I can't figure out from the mfr's webpages what exactly some of these have???

My criteria is the following:

-2 channel music is VERY important. I have a Jolida tube CDP that I don't want to mess up. ;-)

-7.1. I already have the speakers, so I'd like to be able to use them.

-DPLIIx. I've gotten so used to watching regular tv and non DD/DTS movies in Logic7, that I don't think I can do without a surround mode for 2 channel.

-Multichannel music. Just bought a Denon 2900, mostly to have good SACD/DVD-A music. I believe I need an analog passthru for this?

-Crossover settings. I have full range mains, but everything else needs to be crossed over higher... This is probably less important than the others

Budget is $1-2k, although I'd obviously rather fall in at the lower end. :D

Here's what seems to fall within my range:

*Anthem AVM20

*EAD Encore/Ovation/8000pro (latter of which seems to cost too much for my budget)

*B&K ref 30/50

*Aragon soundstage/stage 1

*Sunfire theater grand I/II, III seems to be too expensive

*Sherwood P965

*Rotel RSP-1068

*Outlaw 950

Arcam / Krell / Bryston all seem to be beyond my price range.

So, can anyone give me a push in the right direction? Most of those listed are not available locally, so demoing all but the Rotel is out of the question.
:frowning:

Thanks in advance!

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
wow, selling your receiver after 1 month? what was the problem? does it not DO it sonically? What amps do you have? or do you have to buy those too?

I am really interested in knowing why you are getting rid of the receiver cause I am about to upgrade to a receiver and have the pre-outs go to my existing amps, and have the surrounds feed from the receiver.

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
wow, selling your receiver after 1 month? what was the problem? does it not DO it sonically? What amps do you have? or do you have to buy those too?

I am really interested in knowing why you are getting rid of the receiver cause I am about to upgrade to a receiver and have the pre-outs go to my existing amps, and have the surrounds feed from the receiver.

Kincade

Second Unit
Mike,

Actually, there is NO problem. The receiver was a BIG step up from the avr525, sonically; It's much more effortless, and seems to be much tighter in the low range. I do not have outboard amps right now; everything is powered by the receiver.

I just really want to go with a pre-pro, after hearing a few really good ones lately. For me, i'd rather sell this receiver with the 5 year warranty to someone for a song and try something different. I've had 3 different HK's, and loved them all.

Kincade

Second Unit
Mike,

Actually, there is NO problem. The receiver was a BIG step up from the avr525, sonically; It's much more effortless, and seems to be much tighter in the low range. I do not have outboard amps right now; everything is powered by the receiver.

I just really want to go with a pre-pro, after hearing a few really good ones lately. For me, i'd rather sell this receiver with the 5 year warranty to someone for a song and try something different. I've had 3 different HK's, and loved them all.

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
ill buy it for a song :)!

if your budget is 1k-2k for amps/pre-pro, think again, but if its only a budget for pre, then thats ok.

I have read great reviews of the sherwood though, try searching HTF for the posts.

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
ill buy it for a song :)!

if your budget is 1k-2k for amps/pre-pro, think again, but if its only a budget for pre, then thats ok.

I have read great reviews of the sherwood though, try searching HTF for the posts.

Kincade

Second Unit
Nah, $1-2k for the pre/pro. Amps on top of that.

I think I can get decent amps less expensively than the pre/pro...

Kincade

Second Unit
Nah, $1-2k for the pre/pro. Amps on top of that.

I think I can get decent amps less expensively than the pre/pro...

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
so how much are you selling avr for? how sweet is the song?

PM me if you want

http://www.midiland.com/proddetail.a...r=60&category=

that's what i am currently using. $130!!!
so im on the low low low low low low low low end of pre-pro's. Im upgrading cause Im getting into multi channel sound and need analog ins. but as you can see, im a bit $ consious :)

Mike SJ

Supporting Actor
so how much are you selling avr for? how sweet is the song?

PM me if you want

http://www.midiland.com/proddetail.a...r=60&category=

that's what i am currently using. $130!!!
so im on the low low low low low low low low end of pre-pro's. Im upgrading cause Im getting into multi channel sound and need analog ins. but as you can see, im a bit $ consious :)

gregD

Second Unit
Why not hang on to that rather nice, loaded receiver... and throw your $1-2k at a dedicated 2-ch integrated amp (or pre + power separates) with a HT bypass.

Sounds like your biggest concern is optimizing your 2-ch music.

$1-2k will keep you at the lower end of pre/pro's, while the same amount will get you a considerable 2-ch analog rig... and a lot more choices... also check Audiogon for possibly even better values.

gregD

Second Unit
Why not hang on to that rather nice, loaded receiver... and throw your $1-2k at a dedicated 2-ch integrated amp (or pre + power separates) with a HT bypass.

Sounds like your biggest concern is optimizing your 2-ch music.

$1-2k will keep you at the lower end of pre/pro's, while the same amount will get you a considerable 2-ch analog rig... and a lot more choices... also check Audiogon for possibly even better values.

Mike Keith

Second Unit
I bought a B-stock Halo C2 for about 2K, it should everything and more though DPL2x hasn't been added yet, but be aware that DPL2x only works with 7.1 speaker setup. The sonics of the Halo absolutely blew me away, I have never heard a better sounding Processor, and it has 3 programmable channels with their own crossover and time delay which allows it to do some things many others cannot. So it’s really a 7.5 ch Pre/Pro and the signal is so clean that my same sub’s and amps that used to clip during cretin loud passages don’t anymore, in fact I cant get the subs to clip or bottom out at all now.

Oh, and it has a very clean analog direct mode.

Mike Keith

Second Unit
I bought a B-stock Halo C2 for about 2K, it should everything and more though DPL2x hasn't been added yet, but be aware that DPL2x only works with 7.1 speaker setup. The sonics of the Halo absolutely blew me away, I have never heard a better sounding Processor, and it has 3 programmable channels with their own crossover and time delay which allows it to do some things many others cannot. So it’s really a 7.5 ch Pre/Pro and the signal is so clean that my same sub’s and amps that used to clip during cretin loud passages don’t anymore, in fact I cant get the subs to clip or bottom out at all now.

Oh, and it has a very clean analog direct mode.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i second greg's recommendation about getting a good dedicated two channel pre / integrated. i recently sold my soundstage and purchased an audio research sp-16l tubed pre for two channel and a denon 3805 for home theater. by the way, if 7.1 is an interest you can count out the aragon soundstage and the ead encore / ovation as these are only 5.1. granted the ead is upgradeable, but that's more $$$.

kevin t

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i second greg's recommendation about getting a good dedicated two channel pre / integrated. i recently sold my soundstage and purchased an audio research sp-16l tubed pre for two channel and a denon 3805 for home theater. by the way, if 7.1 is an interest you can count out the aragon soundstage and the ead encore / ovation as these are only 5.1. granted the ead is upgradeable, but that's more $$$.

kevin t

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks