What's new

Infocus X1 Vs 4805 (1 Viewer)

Daman

Second Unit
Firstly, thanks to all of you for helping me decide on the new projector im going to buy :) i was going in with X1 this weekend but came upon a good deal on 4805 too, so basically i would get the X1 for around 900 and the 4805 for 1350.. which would you suggest i go in for? I will be using it solely for watching movies.. if the difference between them isnt that much i wouldnt want to spend the extra money on 4805, but if it is.. then i am willing to stretch my budget.. i know both of them have the froudja chip and are supposed to be excellent for HT. Please advice!!
Thanks!!
Daman

Daman

Second Unit
Firstly, thanks to all of you for helping me decide on the new projector im going to buy :) i was going in with X1 this weekend but came upon a good deal on 4805 too, so basically i would get the X1 for around 900 and the 4805 for 1350.. which would you suggest i go in for? I will be using it solely for watching movies.. if the difference between them isnt that much i wouldnt want to spend the extra money on 4805, but if it is.. then i am willing to stretch my budget.. i know both of them have the froudja chip and are supposed to be excellent for HT. Please advice!!
Thanks!!
Daman

Joseph Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
The X1 was designed as a cross segment projector. It was designed for business use, but with HT elements to make it useful there as well. The 4805 was designed specifically for HT. The 4805 is a native 16x9 projector with 4x3 modes, has a newer Foroudja chip, and a better DLP chipset. It also has DVI in. People who have paired it with the Carada high contrast gray screen just rave about the image, even with some ambient light.

Personally, I was in the same boat as you, and I've decided on the 4805.

Joseph

Joseph Shaw

Stunt Coordinator
The X1 was designed as a cross segment projector. It was designed for business use, but with HT elements to make it useful there as well. The 4805 was designed specifically for HT. The 4805 is a native 16x9 projector with 4x3 modes, has a newer Foroudja chip, and a better DLP chipset. It also has DVI in. People who have paired it with the Carada high contrast gray screen just rave about the image, even with some ambient light.

Personally, I was in the same boat as you, and I've decided on the 4805.

Joseph

Daman

Second Unit
Thanks Joseph, well agreed on the part that 4805 is designed specifically for HT, but from the reviews ive been reading all over the net seems that X1 does a fantastic job too.. and considering that price diff between these is almost 500 bucks i wanted an opinion if someone has seen both at work and how large the difference comes out to be.. im kindof leaning in favour of X1 at present because of my budget constraints(just upgraded the rest of HT audio gear too) The X1 does support the 16X9 mode and i can adjust the screen height to leave out the black bars.. what do you think ?

Daman

Second Unit
Thanks Joseph, well agreed on the part that 4805 is designed specifically for HT, but from the reviews ive been reading all over the net seems that X1 does a fantastic job too.. and considering that price diff between these is almost 500 bucks i wanted an opinion if someone has seen both at work and how large the difference comes out to be.. im kindof leaning in favour of X1 at present because of my budget constraints(just upgraded the rest of HT audio gear too) The X1 does support the 16X9 mode and i can adjust the screen height to leave out the black bars.. what do you think ?

Kyle-K

Stunt Coordinator
From what I have heard... There is still 4:3ish light spill when you use the X1 in 16:9... You will need to have a good light absorbing border.

I have a 4805 on order, and think if you are only watching DVDs (primarily widescreen content) you'd be better served by one also...

hope it helps,
--kyle

Kyle-K

Stunt Coordinator
From what I have heard... There is still 4:3ish light spill when you use the X1 in 16:9... You will need to have a good light absorbing border.

I have a 4805 on order, and think if you are only watching DVDs (primarily widescreen content) you'd be better served by one also...

hope it helps,
--kyle

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget that the biggest advantage that the 4805 has over the X1 is in the area of its color wheel. The 4805 color wheel is a 4X six segment designed-for-home-theater wheel which provides better color purity and is far less prone to exhibit the "rainbow effect" (RBE) for those individuals that are sensitive to it. This compares to the X1's 2x four segment wheel, which reverts to a three segment wheel in either of its HT modes.

The 4805 also provides dramatically better contrast ratio and more lumens than the X1 when that projector is operated in either its "Film" or "Video" mode.

I've owned an X1 since October of last year, and love it! But I'm not one of the individuals that's sensitive to RBE. Very occasionally, one of the guests to my theater *is* sensitive to the effect, which makes for a bad evening. If I had had a choice back in October of last year between the X1 and the 4805, I would not have hesitated in plunking down the (then) additional five hundred bucks.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget that the biggest advantage that the 4805 has over the X1 is in the area of its color wheel. The 4805 color wheel is a 4X six segment designed-for-home-theater wheel which provides better color purity and is far less prone to exhibit the "rainbow effect" (RBE) for those individuals that are sensitive to it. This compares to the X1's 2x four segment wheel, which reverts to a three segment wheel in either of its HT modes.

The 4805 also provides dramatically better contrast ratio and more lumens than the X1 when that projector is operated in either its "Film" or "Video" mode.

I've owned an X1 since October of last year, and love it! But I'm not one of the individuals that's sensitive to RBE. Very occasionally, one of the guests to my theater *is* sensitive to the effect, which makes for a bad evening. If I had had a choice back in October of last year between the X1 and the 4805, I would not have hesitated in plunking down the (then) additional five hundred bucks.

Daman

Second Unit
Thanks a lot for the inputs guys.. Joseph yes im also a bit wary of whether me and my wife would see the rainbow effect or not(not too much bothered about my guests as long as we enjoy) im gonna still give it a shot this weekend and see if it works fine for us otherwise probably by the end of next week ill splurge in the 4805. And yes i found the 4805 deal on AVcountry.com - its listed for 1500 bucks there- but thats coming with a free dalite 70" screen, if u mail the guys and ask them that you dont want the screen and if they can give you the best price, youll get just the projector for the 1350. Thanks again!
Daman

Daman

Second Unit
Thanks a lot for the inputs guys.. Joseph yes im also a bit wary of whether me and my wife would see the rainbow effect or not(not too much bothered about my guests as long as we enjoy) im gonna still give it a shot this weekend and see if it works fine for us otherwise probably by the end of next week ill splurge in the 4805. And yes i found the 4805 deal on AVcountry.com - its listed for 1500 bucks there- but thats coming with a free dalite 70" screen, if u mail the guys and ask them that you dont want the screen and if they can give you the best price, youll get just the projector for the 1350. Thanks again!
Daman

tom j r

Agent
I too have been strongly considering the 4805 for my first projector. Just a word of caution to those of you looking for the best price, InFocus only authorizes a few etailers to sell the screenplay line on the web, and they are serious about not honoring warranty if bought from an unauthorized dealer. Check their website. TVAuthority is authorized and I hear they are selling below MAP, that is who I am going to check with.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
There are a number of advantages the 4805 has over the X1 that make it easily worth the extra $500.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks