Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

star war holiday special

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#1 of 63 Charlie O.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 08:25 PM

So, any chance we'll see this crapfest on DVD anytime soon with the original triogly coming out?

#2 of 63 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,737 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 11:27 PM

Very unlikely. In fact, I'd say that this is one program that, unlike the majority of TV programs and specials, may well never make it to DVD.

#3 of 63 Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 12:53 AM

I think this is perhaps the only case where George Lucas and the fans are in agreement: that the Christmas Special is terrible and embarrassing. I haven't seen it, but its legendary awfulness has been conveyed through pictures and descriptions. There are ways of acquiring it, but they are through means not encouraged by this forum (check E-bay).

However, it is possible that a small portion may make it to the DVD release of the Trilogy this fall, namely the animated section that (I think) introduced Boba Fett. I think that some additional Star Wars-related TV shows may make it to DVD, though. I'd be kind of interested in the Ewoks movies, solely for nostalgic value.

#4 of 63 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,002 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 23 2004 - 01:42 AM

I saw it, and it's WORSE than everyone says. I couldn't even make it to the end.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#5 of 63 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,891 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted June 23 2004 - 01:51 AM

The cartoon is far and away the best part of the special.

#6 of 63 Charlie O.

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

• 509 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 08:25 PM

So, any chance we'll see this crapfest on DVD anytime soon with the original triogly coming out?

#7 of 63 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,737 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 11:27 PM

Very unlikely. In fact, I'd say that this is one program that, unlike the majority of TV programs and specials, may well never make it to DVD.

#8 of 63 Amy Mormino

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor

• 537 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 12:53 AM

I think this is perhaps the only case where George Lucas and the fans are in agreement: that the Christmas Special is terrible and embarrassing. I haven't seen it, but its legendary awfulness has been conveyed through pictures and descriptions. There are ways of acquiring it, but they are through means not encouraged by this forum (check E-bay).

However, it is possible that a small portion may make it to the DVD release of the Trilogy this fall, namely the animated section that (I think) introduced Boba Fett. I think that some additional Star Wars-related TV shows may make it to DVD, though. I'd be kind of interested in the Ewoks movies, solely for nostalgic value.

#9 of 63 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 6,002 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 23 2004 - 01:42 AM

I saw it, and it's WORSE than everyone says. I couldn't even make it to the end.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#10 of 63 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

Screenwriter

• 1,891 posts
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted June 23 2004 - 01:51 AM

The cartoon is far and away the best part of the special.

#11 of 63 Randy*S

Randy*S

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 02:46 AM

If they had only left the musical performances out it might've been ok. Dian Carrol, Bea Arthur, Art Carny and Harvey Korman, and Jefferson Starship. All great people but they do not belong in the Star Wars universe!
And you're right Amy, it did introduce Boba Fett! The 11 minute cartoon was done by Nelvana who also did the two 1984 "Droids" and "Ewoks" series.
Posted Image
Check out this page.
http://www.lucasfan....wtv/index2.html
Anyway, it was produced by the network (CBS) and aimed at kids. As a 10 years old kid it was cool to me, at the time. Problem is, George Lucas hates it!
And, me and other fans that grew up with are all a bit jaded.
Just be glad they did'nt have Don Knotts as Jedi Master Furley!
Run everybody it's Mr. Furley with a lightsaber Aaaaaaaaahhhhh!!! LOL
I'm a big three's company fan but whoa! Posted Image

On a side note, what is "crap" is bloody N'Sync wanting to be extras in episode II! "Yo, Obi-Wan Whatz-up?" give me a break! George Lucas got the point after enough people wrote him and complained. Posted Image
Disney please put Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends on DVD!!!!

I will NEVER buy ANY politically corrected/edited DVD!

#12 of 63 Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner

Screenwriter

• 2,950 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 03:19 AM

Isn't this N'Sync?

Posted Image

#13 of 63 Randy*S

Randy*S

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 03:59 AM

Quote:
Isn't this N'Sync?
Probably, I don't know what the gits look like. Posted Image
Disney please put Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends on DVD!!!!

I will NEVER buy ANY politically corrected/edited DVD!

#14 of 63 DougFND

DougFND

Second Unit

• 250 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 04:52 AM

I have a VHS copy, got it at a con several years ago.

Yes, it is that bad. It was very hard to sit through and I haven't watched it since.

But, I think I was seven years old when it aired and I loved it then. I had to have it for pure nostalgia reasons. I made a copy for my nephew a couple of years ago (he was five or six, I think) and he loved it.

As for seeing an official DVD release, I doubt it will ever happen. Rumor has it George had the original destroyed. That's probably not true, but I'm sure he'll never OK a release.

#15 of 63 Anthony Hom

Anthony Hom

Supporting Actor

• 893 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 05:06 AM

You can still get the music CD, 'A Star Wars Christmas', can't you?

#16 of 63 Kristian

Kristian

Supporting Actor

• 946 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 05:25 AM

The special as a whole was pretty terrible, but the Boba Fett cartoon wasn't bad (even though it contradicts the movies somewhat). I would love to see the short as an extra on DVDs of either Clone Wars, Droids or Ewoks.
Film Lists: 2001 | 2002 | 2003 | 2004 | 2005 | 2006 | Pre-2006 | 2009
CollectionsMusic

#17 of 63 Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 06:05 AM

Never mind the out of place guest stars. I would like to know what idiot came up with the idea of having this special open with scenes of Wookies puttering about doing nothing that an audience could comprehend go on and on for almost ten solid minutes!

#18 of 63 Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,737 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 07:19 AM

Quote:
You can still get the music CD, 'A Star Wars Christmas', can't you?

That album has nothing to do with the Holiday Special, although it does feature a young Jon Bon Jovi!

#19 of 63 Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty

Screenwriter

• 2,074 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 07:44 AM

OOF. It's a chore. I have this on VHS and DVD. It's readily available at cons. Just be sure to get the one with the old '70's commercials-- they're mind-boggling. The South Park Xmas episode with the "Fighting the Frizzies" bumpers came right from this.

#20 of 63 Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,301 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted June 23 2004 - 08:08 AM

I like it and I want it itact on DVD! I loved Leia's singing and I appreciated Bea Arthur being introduced into the Star Wars Universe. I want this on DVD big time as well as the Ewok movies and cartoons plus the Droids cartoon. As a fan of Star Wars I want it and all of those projects I mentioned in this topic are much more superior than Episode I and II in quality and special effects as well as likability.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

Forum Nav Content I Follow