What's new

Embarrassing- cat sprayed my AVR 7200 (1 Viewer)

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
This is almost too embarrassing to ask....but here goes. My cat sprayed (as in urine) my AVR 7200. My son noticed there was a problem when he turned the AVR on this morning- and it kept immediately shutting itself off. He look at the back, and it was wet from cat urine. My son sensibly shut everything down, and called me at work. As you might imagine, this pretty much ruined my day- I saved pennies for a year to buy this beast. Anyway- by the time I got home- the AVR seemed to be dry.

So the questions:
1. Should I plug it back in after another 24 hours of drying and pray that everything is all better now?
2. Should I take it in to a dealer and have them check it out and maybe clean it? A very embarrassing, and probably expensive option.
3. Am I totally screwed- and should I start saving my pennies again for a new receiver?

And as far as the cat goes.....well, he's gone tomorrow.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
This is almost too embarrassing to ask....but here goes. My cat sprayed (as in urine) my AVR 7200. My son noticed there was a problem when he turned the AVR on this morning- and it kept immediately shutting itself off. He look at the back, and it was wet from cat urine. My son sensibly shut everything down, and called me at work. As you might imagine, this pretty much ruined my day- I saved pennies for a year to buy this beast. Anyway- by the time I got home- the AVR seemed to be dry.

So the questions:
1. Should I plug it back in after another 24 hours of drying and pray that everything is all better now?
2. Should I take it in to a dealer and have them check it out and maybe clean it? A very embarrassing, and probably expensive option.
3. Am I totally screwed- and should I start saving my pennies again for a new receiver?

And as far as the cat goes.....well, he's gone tomorrow.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I would take it to a dealer and have them check it out. The worst part is how it is going to smell when it heats up.

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I would take it to a dealer and have them check it out. The worst part is how it is going to smell when it heats up.

Hello,

Same thing happened a few years ago to my Adcom amp. I took the amp to my local dealer and they were kind enough to clean the unit for a minimal charge. They could not guarantee how long the amp would continue to operate.

My advice..Explain to your dealer what happened and keep your fingers crossed.

Keith

Hello,

Same thing happened a few years ago to my Adcom amp. I took the amp to my local dealer and they were kind enough to clean the unit for a minimal charge. They could not guarantee how long the amp would continue to operate.

My advice..Explain to your dealer what happened and keep your fingers crossed.

Keith

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
at least you can get rid of the cat.

i had a customer that would bring in his 20" tube tv every 3 months or so. his toddler loved to throw pennies and other coins down through the vents in the back. it had been fried many times, and he got it fixed enough times to afford a very nice tv.

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor
at least you can get rid of the cat.

i had a customer that would bring in his 20" tube tv every 3 months or so. his toddler loved to throw pennies and other coins down through the vents in the back. it had been fried many times, and he got it fixed enough times to afford a very nice tv.

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys- you voiced what I thought was the best option.

And Jim, you're right- the 7200 does double duty as a space heater- so I'll but it smells just wonderful when it heats up.

Ah well...to the authorized repair shop I go.....

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys- you voiced what I thought was the best option.

And Jim, you're right- the 7200 does double duty as a space heater- so I'll but it smells just wonderful when it heats up.

Ah well...to the authorized repair shop I go.....

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Please post back with what happened afterwards then think about how you're going to deal with the issue of the cat.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Please post back with what happened afterwards then think about how you're going to deal with the issue of the cat.

Frederick

Second Unit
Is the cat "fixed"? We had a cat when I was younger that had a thing about spraying my room whenever it got the chance to get in there. Especially when he was in heat. Once we fixed him, he stopped. You may also want to get some spray that neutralizes the urine smell, at least on the outside of the receiver. Once the cat smells that odor, it'll keep coming back to it. Can you move it to a higher shelf?

Freddy C.

Frederick

Second Unit
Is the cat "fixed"? We had a cat when I was younger that had a thing about spraying my room whenever it got the chance to get in there. Especially when he was in heat. Once we fixed him, he stopped. You may also want to get some spray that neutralizes the urine smell, at least on the outside of the receiver. Once the cat smells that odor, it'll keep coming back to it. Can you move it to a higher shelf?

Freddy C.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Years ago, I had a roommate with several cats. One of them liked to mark his territory (which was alleged impossible as he'd been "fixed") He would "spray" everything along one living room wall, including one of my speakers. One day, I noticed a rather severe distortion coming from the right channel. I pulled the grill off and found the woofer half-detached from the cabinet, sort of "flapping" in the breeze. The acid from the cat's repeated spraying had eaten away at the adhesive that bound the woofer to the support ring (whatever it's called). Fortunately, I found a competent repair person and the speaker was salvaged (still going strong ten years later) as I couldn't afford to replace it at the time. As for the cat, well, I entertained thoughts of revenge, but my roommate would have exacted a fiercer revenge on me, so I settled for moving the speakers out of reach. Wimped out, I guess, but I also couldn't afford to find another place to live.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Years ago, I had a roommate with several cats. One of them liked to mark his territory (which was alleged impossible as he'd been "fixed") He would "spray" everything along one living room wall, including one of my speakers. One day, I noticed a rather severe distortion coming from the right channel. I pulled the grill off and found the woofer half-detached from the cabinet, sort of "flapping" in the breeze. The acid from the cat's repeated spraying had eaten away at the adhesive that bound the woofer to the support ring (whatever it's called). Fortunately, I found a competent repair person and the speaker was salvaged (still going strong ten years later) as I couldn't afford to replace it at the time. As for the cat, well, I entertained thoughts of revenge, but my roommate would have exacted a fiercer revenge on me, so I settled for moving the speakers out of reach. Wimped out, I guess, but I also couldn't afford to find another place to live.

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I spoke with the authorized Harman-Kardan repair guy- and he told me to not waste his time and my money. It seems that cat urine is very corrosive. He felt that any repair work that he would do would just be a waste.

I saved a year for that receiver. I just got my SVS subwoofer last Thursday, and I didn't even have a chance to plug it in :frowning:

That cat was a "gift" from my sister-in-law who moved to a no-cat apartment. The cat was a sprayer from the get-go. Several boxes of books, and assorted other things were ruined before we took him to the vet for neutering. My sister-in-law never had him fixed as a kitten. He was a full grown adult male by the time we neutered him. Too late I think.

We tried the pheromone thing too. In fact my son purposefully sprayed my speakers and around the stereo rack with the stuff. The cat still sprayed- but we thought it was more manageable. He never targeted any AV equipment.

But now he has ruined too much. So....the cat is gone, and I feel bad about that....but I can't have my house slowly destroyed.

This is just a bad situation from start to finish. I guess I'll try plugging the 7200 in tonight and hope it works. And if it works, I'll be able to enjoy the aroma of hot cat piss.

This is so damn depressing.

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I spoke with the authorized Harman-Kardan repair guy- and he told me to not waste his time and my money. It seems that cat urine is very corrosive. He felt that any repair work that he would do would just be a waste.

I saved a year for that receiver. I just got my SVS subwoofer last Thursday, and I didn't even have a chance to plug it in :frowning:

That cat was a "gift" from my sister-in-law who moved to a no-cat apartment. The cat was a sprayer from the get-go. Several boxes of books, and assorted other things were ruined before we took him to the vet for neutering. My sister-in-law never had him fixed as a kitten. He was a full grown adult male by the time we neutered him. Too late I think.

We tried the pheromone thing too. In fact my son purposefully sprayed my speakers and around the stereo rack with the stuff. The cat still sprayed- but we thought it was more manageable. He never targeted any AV equipment.

But now he has ruined too much. So....the cat is gone, and I feel bad about that....but I can't have my house slowly destroyed.

This is just a bad situation from start to finish. I guess I'll try plugging the 7200 in tonight and hope it works. And if it works, I'll be able to enjoy the aroma of hot cat piss.

This is so damn depressing.

keir

Stunt Coordinator
i would open it up myself and see if there was anything you could clean up.

keir

Stunt Coordinator
i would open it up myself and see if there was anything you could clean up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.