Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Embarrassing- cat sprayed my AVR 7200

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
76 replies to this topic

#1 of 77 OFFLINE   Pus Suchre

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 12:21 PM

This is almost too embarrassing to ask....but here goes. My cat sprayed (as in urine) my AVR 7200. My son noticed there was a problem when he turned the AVR on this morning- and it kept immediately shutting itself off. He look at the back, and it was wet from cat urine. My son sensibly shut everything down, and called me at work. As you might imagine, this pretty much ruined my day- I saved pennies for a year to buy this beast. Anyway- by the time I got home- the AVR seemed to be dry.

So the questions:
1. Should I plug it back in after another 24 hours of drying and pray that everything is all better now?
2. Should I take it in to a dealer and have them check it out and maybe clean it? A very embarrassing, and probably expensive option.
3. Am I totally screwed- and should I start saving my pennies again for a new receiver?

And as far as the cat goes.....well, he's gone tomorrow.

Thanks for any thoughts.
We are all one cat piss away from ruination- literally and metaphorically

#2 of 77 OFFLINE   Jim Williams

Jim Williams

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 12:27 PM

I would take it to a dealer and have them check it out. The worst part is how it is going to smell when it heats up.
"I reckon I'd like some of them french fried pertaters. Mm-hmm."
Karl Childers

#3 of 77 OFFLINE   Keith Hancock

Keith Hancock

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 03:05 PM

Hello,

Same thing happened a few years ago to my Adcom amp. I took the amp to my local dealer and they were kind enough to clean the unit for a minimal charge. They could not guarantee how long the amp would continue to operate.

My advice..Explain to your dealer what happened and keep your fingers crossed.

Keith

#4 of 77 OFFLINE   Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor

• 504 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 04:25 PM

at least you can get rid of the cat.

i had a customer that would bring in his 20" tube tv every 3 months or so. his toddler loved to throw pennies and other coins down through the vents in the back. it had been fried many times, and he got it fixed enough times to afford a very nice tv.

#5 of 77 OFFLINE   Pus Suchre

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 10:30 PM

Thanks guys- you voiced what I thought was the best option.

And Jim, you're right- the 7200 does double duty as a space heater- so I'll but it smells just wonderful when it heats up.

Ah well...to the authorized repair shop I go.....

#6 of 77 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 12:03 AM

Please post back with what happened afterwards then think about how you're going to deal with the issue of the cat.

#7 of 77 OFFLINE   Pus Suchre

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 12:21 PM

This is almost too embarrassing to ask....but here goes. My cat sprayed (as in urine) my AVR 7200. My son noticed there was a problem when he turned the AVR on this morning- and it kept immediately shutting itself off. He look at the back, and it was wet from cat urine. My son sensibly shut everything down, and called me at work. As you might imagine, this pretty much ruined my day- I saved pennies for a year to buy this beast. Anyway- by the time I got home- the AVR seemed to be dry.

So the questions:
1. Should I plug it back in after another 24 hours of drying and pray that everything is all better now?
2. Should I take it in to a dealer and have them check it out and maybe clean it? A very embarrassing, and probably expensive option.
3. Am I totally screwed- and should I start saving my pennies again for a new receiver?

And as far as the cat goes.....well, he's gone tomorrow.

Thanks for any thoughts.

#8 of 77 OFFLINE   Jim Williams

Jim Williams

Second Unit

• 367 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 12:27 PM

I would take it to a dealer and have them check it out. The worst part is how it is going to smell when it heats up.
"I reckon I'd like some of them french fried pertaters. Mm-hmm."
Karl Childers

#9 of 77 OFFLINE   Keith Hancock

Keith Hancock

Extra

• 15 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 03:05 PM

Hello,

Same thing happened a few years ago to my Adcom amp. I took the amp to my local dealer and they were kind enough to clean the unit for a minimal charge. They could not guarantee how long the amp would continue to operate.

My advice..Explain to your dealer what happened and keep your fingers crossed.

Keith

#10 of 77 OFFLINE   Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan

Supporting Actor

• 504 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 04:25 PM

at least you can get rid of the cat.

i had a customer that would bring in his 20" tube tv every 3 months or so. his toddler loved to throw pennies and other coins down through the vents in the back. it had been fried many times, and he got it fixed enough times to afford a very nice tv.

#11 of 77 OFFLINE   Pus Suchre

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 10:30 PM

Thanks guys- you voiced what I thought was the best option.

And Jim, you're right- the 7200 does double duty as a space heater- so I'll but it smells just wonderful when it heats up.

Ah well...to the authorized repair shop I go.....

#12 of 77 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 12:03 AM

Please post back with what happened afterwards then think about how you're going to deal with the issue of the cat.

#13 of 77 OFFLINE   Frederick

Frederick

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 02:45 AM

Is the cat "fixed"? We had a cat when I was younger that had a thing about spraying my room whenever it got the chance to get in there. Especially when he was in heat. Once we fixed him, he stopped. You may also want to get some spray that neutralizes the urine smell, at least on the outside of the receiver. Once the cat smells that odor, it'll keep coming back to it. Can you move it to a higher shelf?

Freddy C.
" ... Perfect does not mean perfect actions in a perfect world, but appropriate
actions in an imperfect one ..."

R.H. Blyth

#14 of 77 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,583 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted June 23 2004 - 03:03 AM

Years ago, I had a roommate with several cats. One of them liked to mark his territory (which was alleged impossible as he'd been "fixed") He would "spray" everything along one living room wall, including one of my speakers. One day, I noticed a rather severe distortion coming from the right channel. I pulled the grill off and found the woofer half-detached from the cabinet, sort of "flapping" in the breeze. The acid from the cat's repeated spraying had eaten away at the adhesive that bound the woofer to the support ring (whatever it's called). Fortunately, I found a competent repair person and the speaker was salvaged (still going strong ten years later) as I couldn't afford to replace it at the time. As for the cat, well, I entertained thoughts of revenge, but my roommate would have exacted a fiercer revenge on me, so I settled for moving the speakers out of reach. Wimped out, I guess, but I also couldn't afford to find another place to live.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#15 of 77 OFFLINE   Pus Suchre

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 03:44 AM

Well, I spoke with the authorized Harman-Kardan repair guy- and he told me to not waste his time and my money. It seems that cat urine is very corrosive. He felt that any repair work that he would do would just be a waste.

I saved a year for that receiver. I just got my SVS subwoofer last Thursday, and I didn't even have a chance to plug it in Posted Image

That cat was a "gift" from my sister-in-law who moved to a no-cat apartment. The cat was a sprayer from the get-go. Several boxes of books, and assorted other things were ruined before we took him to the vet for neutering. My sister-in-law never had him fixed as a kitten. He was a full grown adult male by the time we neutered him. Too late I think.

We tried the pheromone thing too. In fact my son purposefully sprayed my speakers and around the stereo rack with the stuff. The cat still sprayed- but we thought it was more manageable. He never targeted any AV equipment.

But now he has ruined too much. So....the cat is gone, and I feel bad about that....but I can't have my house slowly destroyed.

This is just a bad situation from start to finish. I guess I'll try plugging the 7200 in tonight and hope it works. And if it works, I'll be able to enjoy the aroma of hot cat piss.

This is so damn depressing.

#16 of 77 OFFLINE   keir

keir

Stunt Coordinator

• 183 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 03:50 AM

i would open it up myself and see if there was anything you could clean up.

#17 of 77 OFFLINE   ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor

• 912 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 04:15 AM

I would open it up too. It would seem the warranty has been voided so you have nothing to lose.
I fix cell phones for a living and we have customers come in all the time that have standing water in them etc... and in most cases we can usually get them to power back up. I'm not saying your reciever is as simple as a cell phone, but it's worth shot. I would get some De-Ox-Id or some sort of electronics safe cleaner and clean what you can. If you see anything like corrosion use a soft tooth brush to clean it. I wouldn't power it on til you looked at it first.

Just my 2 cents.

#18 of 77 OFFLINE   Mike_Frame

Mike_Frame

Extra

• 21 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 04:24 AM

Yep, I agree with the others... Open it up and clean it out. Maybe you can stop some of the damage, and it'll last long enough for you to get a new one. Just be careful.

On the Cat note... if a cat is "fixed" too late, they will spray. Nothing you can do about it. I have 3, and while we have a poop problem with one, none spray. (knock on wood.) Of course, I have a door on my new HT Posted Image

#19 of 77 OFFLINE   Chu Gai

Chu Gai

Lead Actor

• 7,270 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 04:30 AM

If you're not going to take it to a repair place, indeed, open it up. Unplug the unit and give the capacitors a chance to discharge. Then get some Pampers, cut them up into appropriate sized pieces, and wet them. You can blot the affected areas without soaking them. Then using a very soft tootbrush, run it across the areas to dislodge any dried material and repeat the Pampers routine. Let it all dry and try it out. If it works, drink a beer, find the cat and piss on it.

#20 of 77 OFFLINE   Pus Suchre

Pus Suchre

Stunt Coordinator

• 124 posts

Posted June 23 2004 - 04:51 AM

Thanks guys. I'll crack the case and see what I find. Absolutely nothing to lose at this point. That's good advice. Better than just plugging it in and hoping for the best.

Thanks.