Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Larry Sanders - Columbia wants to know your favorites

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
78 replies to this topic

#1 of 79 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 04:11 PM

Columbia TriStar has asked us to put up a poll to find out which episodes are fan favorites.

http://www.tvshowson...m/larrysanders/

Before you get upset and assume they are going to release "best of" discs, Columbia TriStar told me they haven't decided yet, however, it does look like they're leaning that way.

Gord
Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#2 of 79 OFFLINE   Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 04:31 PM

Great, let's see now if 20th Century Fox does the same with the rest of the Mary Tyler Moore Show. It's sickening for fans of these shows to see a "Best of" DVD set especially after buying a season 1 set. It puts a sour taste in my mouth. I don't think I'll be buying anymore season 1 sets until I know for sure that the series has been completely released. It's a shame studios don't care enough about the fans to release season sets. It's all about them being greedy because we all know that in time, EVERY show would sell enough sets to make companies a profit. The problem is they don't want to wait years to get their riches, they want it now, and if it's not a hit within a few weeks, no more season sets...It's sad.
I'm a classic TV fan. Widescreen? What's that?

#3 of 79 OFFLINE   Holden Pike

Holden Pike

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 04:41 PM

I'll abstain, thanks. I want the season sets or nothing (which is apparently what they're more than happy to give us), especially as like any good series there are minor and major plot strands carried through entire seasons and the series as a whole, building on the shows before them.

Geesh.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to film is more film...."
- Frank Capra

#4 of 79 OFFLINE   Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter

• 1,303 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 05:03 PM

I figure if enough of us submit any answers, they will gauge just how many people want the show. This could help our chances of getting full season sets.
DVD Collection | Video Game Collection | Live Gamertag: vicodinjunkie

#5 of 79 OFFLINE   Stephen Ford

Stephen Ford

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 07:17 PM

For gods sake. Not a chance in hell Im going to buy a best of set. This is an award winning show and its an insult to release it as a best of.

Posted Image Posted Image

#6 of 79 OFFLINE   Anthony Neilson

Anthony Neilson

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted June 21 2004 - 09:14 PM

This is the saddest good news I've ever heard !

The only Sanders episodes released in R2 UK are on a "best-of" compilation ; though I can tell you, they're far from the best episodes ( with the exception of "Hank's Sex Tape").

If this is the route they're going to go, could they not at least allow us to choose a few more episodes - 15 or so ?It's also alarming that they've included the first season in the poll. What if we ended up with a repeat of one of the few episodes we have ?

Even so, I'm with the protesters on this one. A best-of will just make it unlikely that we'll ever see the season sets eventually appear. This makes me so angry - can the Sanders show really have sold THAT badly ?
I've been going to bed early . . .

#7 of 79 OFFLINE   Chris Brunner

Chris Brunner

Second Unit

• 441 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 11:55 PM

This crazy!! Price the full season sets at a fair market price and watch them sell!!!!

I WANT to give you (CTHE) my money, but I will not buy a "Best Of" set. As mentioned above, these shows contain hysterical elements that run throughout the season.

HELLO, McFLY!?!?!?!

C

#8 of 79 OFFLINE   Daniel Kikin

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter

• 1,621 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 12:05 AM

I'd rather have season sets but also want to show Columbia TriStar that there's still interest in the show so I voted for the first five episodes of Season 2.

#9 of 79 OFFLINE   Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 12:21 AM

Quote:
I'd rather have season sets but also want to show Columbia TriStar that there's still interest in the show so I voted for the first five episodes of Season 2.

You know, I wasn't going to vote, out of protest. However, I think this is an excellent idea. Let's all try and vote for season 2, episodes 1-5 in that order. Maybe this will send Columbia Tri-Star a message that we fans don't want a "Best of" set, we want the complete season sets!
I'm a classic TV fan. Widescreen? What's that?

#10 of 79 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,910 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 12:26 AM

I also want the season sets. Won't buy a best of- collection.

#11 of 79 OFFLINE   Gabe D

Gabe D

Screenwriter

• 2,173 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 01:45 AM

I voted for my favorite five. I hate to settle for a "best of" too, but I don't see how rejecting one makes season sets more likely. I will certainly buy the full series if it is ever released, but at this point I'll buy whatever they'll sell. I even bought the Larry Sanders book the week it came out. A month later every bookstore seemed to have a hundred copies marked down to three or four bucks.

#12 of 79 OFFLINE   Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 03:00 AM

If you all stay away from the Best Ofs, then Larry Sanders is doomed. If the Best Of sets get an overwhelming response, they just might see how much people want this show and release the rest of the complete season sets (they should really revisit Season One too and do it right). If you shun the Best Of sets as a matter of principle, then you're guaranteeing that we'll never see another season of Larry Sanders ever again.

Carlos, if too many others like you stay away from Season One sets, which I can hardly blame you, the studios will figure there isn't enough demand for the show and stop releasing it a la NYPD Blue. It's a Catch-22.

#13 of 79 OFFLINE   Steve_Smith

Steve_Smith

Stunt Coordinator

• 62 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 05:23 AM

As much as I also want to see season sets, I think it is a great idea to only vote for the first 5 season 2 episodes to show we really want season sets. So my vote has been cast season 2 episodes 1-5 Posted Image I'm sure the irony of many votes going this way can't be lost on Columbia/Tri-star (hmmm or can it) Posted Image

#14 of 79 OFFLINE   Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted June 22 2004 - 05:53 AM

Quote:
If you all stay away from the Best Ofs, then Larry Sanders is doomed.

I'm willing to bet that when Columbia/Tri-Star released the "best-ofs" of 'Married...With Children', a lot of people stayed away in the hopes that they'd release season sets. I know I was one of them. Sure enough, the rest as they say, is history.

I'm sorry, but it's pretty sad that they can release one season years ago, then do nothing to follow it up.......then years later they come out with this poll. Most people who own the season one set will NOT settle for a best-of release. I don't own the show myself, but let's use "The Jeffersons" as an example. If they were to follow up the 2 seasons sets with a best-of, I definitely wouldn't buy. It's pretty much a slap in the face to the consumer.

I agree with Daniel's approach 100%. Show Columbia that you want a season 2 set by voting for the first 5 eps of that season. Maybe they'll wake up and smell the coffee for once. A season 2 set is long overdue, and for CTS to pull this stunt to all the faithful consumers who purchased season 1 is just wrong.

The reason season 1 probably didn't sell like it should've was the insane price of the set when it was released.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#15 of 79 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted June 22 2004 - 06:10 AM

Hmm, I don't get HBO so I've never seen the series. I loved the S1 DVDs and want the rest. How can I vote on favorite episodes when I haven't seen them??

I'm going with the first 5 of S2 approach. Good idea, guys.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#16 of 79 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 09:15 AM

Can I also suggest that you register on the site (if you haven't already) and vote for season sets there? I'll be sure to include the data when I send the other stuff to Columbia TriStar.

Gord

#17 of 79 OFFLINE   Stephen Ford

Stephen Ford

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 09:25 AM

It at 98% wanting season sets so why would they release best of sets ?

Its frustrating to expect someone who has a season 1 set to buy a best of set, so that they get more season releses in the future.

#18 of 79 OFFLINE   Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey

Screenwriter

• 2,447 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 10:59 AM

I want to mention this again...

Columbia TriStar hasn't decided what they will do. They didn't tell me "Gord, we want to know what the fan favorites are because we're going to release a 'best of' set," they just asked me to put up a poll to determine which episodes the fans want. When I asked what their plans were, I was told they haven't decided. Who knows...they might record commentary tracks for the most popular episodes.

I will always support more releases of season sets over a "best of," but given the choice between nothing and a "best of" I'd probably pick the "best of."

Gord

#19 of 79 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted June 22 2004 - 11:17 AM

Gord, thanks for all of your efforts in this area. To me, it's encouraging that Columbia TriStar recognizes your site and is working with you to gather this data. That's a sign that they are trying to listen to what the consumers want. Posted Image

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#20 of 79 OFFLINE   Stephen Ford

Stephen Ford

Stunt Coordinator

• 150 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 11:39 AM

Gord,

I was not having a go at anyone about this and I do appreciate your site and all the help it has given to get tv shows out on dvd.

Posted Image

Forum Nav Content I Follow