What's new

TV on DVD Bargains & Rip-Offs (1 Viewer)

R. Kay

Second Unit
I just noticed the MSRP on Quantum Leap for 8 Episodes of Season 1 was 60 Bucks ($40 Discounted). Ridiculous!

Season 1 of Northern Exposure : 8 Episodes for $60.00 ($40.00 discounted). Who needs that life-raft to jack up the price? Outrageous!

I use MSRP strictly to illustrate higher prices for certain dvds. I know most people dont pay MSRP. I use it to show that certain shows are way too pricey for their content!

Give your opinions ... The good and the bad!

R. Kay

Second Unit
I just noticed the MSRP on Quantum Leap for 8 Episodes of Season 1 was 60 Bucks ($40 Discounted). Ridiculous!

Season 1 of Northern Exposure : 8 Episodes for $60.00 ($40.00 discounted). Who needs that life-raft to jack up the price? Outrageous!

I use MSRP strictly to illustrate higher prices for certain dvds. I know most people dont pay MSRP. I use it to show that certain shows are way too pricey for their content!

Give your opinions ... The good and the bad!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

And if you pay full retail price, then you are a fool. Stop shopping at suncoast, for petes sake! With just a few moments shopping for bargains, I found it for just a touch under 40 bucks.

Sounds pretty sweet to me.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

And if you pay full retail price, then you are a fool. Stop shopping at suncoast, for petes sake! With just a few moments shopping for bargains, I found it for just a touch under 40 bucks.

Sounds pretty sweet to me.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I got QL at CC during release week for $34.99 + tax, and could have gotten it even cheaper ($34.89 final cost) online at DeepDiscountDVD, but didn't want to wait for them to ship it. It's easy to get most similarly-priced TV sets for $40 or less their first week of release.

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I got QL at CC during release week for $34.99 + tax, and could have gotten it even cheaper ($34.89 final cost) online at DeepDiscountDVD, but didn't want to wait for them to ship it. It's easy to get most similarly-priced TV sets for $40 or less their first week of release.

MattGentry

Second Unit
It does get extremely old whenever someone complains about the MSRP of something.

Almost no DVD is sold at MSRP. That is strictly an suggested retail price. $35 is a pretty good price, all things considered.

They had to aquire music rights, create transfers from the old tapes, etc.

Shop elsewhere...

MattGentry

Second Unit
It does get extremely old whenever someone complains about the MSRP of something.

Almost no DVD is sold at MSRP. That is strictly an suggested retail price. $35 is a pretty good price, all things considered.

They had to aquire music rights, create transfers from the old tapes, etc.

Shop elsewhere...

Joshua_W

Second Unit

But the MSRP determines what the discounted DVDs will be sold at, and it's a good, objective point when discussing the cost of DVDs.

It's like, a DVD set may have a $60 MSRP, but will often be discounted down to $35-$45, whereas something that carries a MSRP of $100 will likely be discounted in the $70-$80 range.

And, if we're complaining about DVD prices, quoting the MSRP makes more sense than quoting off of subjective store prices. For example, that $60 MSRP DVD might be on sale the first week at a certain store for $35, another store for $40, and then go up to $45 a the first store and $48 the next week.

Since the MSRP is an objective price -- and the "base" price for determining discounts, it makes more sense to quote the MSRP in debates about price than what something "streets" for.

Joshua_W

Second Unit

But the MSRP determines what the discounted DVDs will be sold at, and it's a good, objective point when discussing the cost of DVDs.

It's like, a DVD set may have a $60 MSRP, but will often be discounted down to $35-$45, whereas something that carries a MSRP of $100 will likely be discounted in the $70-$80 range.

And, if we're complaining about DVD prices, quoting the MSRP makes more sense than quoting off of subjective store prices. For example, that $60 MSRP DVD might be on sale the first week at a certain store for $35, another store for $40, and then go up to $45 a the first store and $48 the next week.

Since the MSRP is an objective price -- and the "base" price for determining discounts, it makes more sense to quote the MSRP in debates about price than what something "streets" for.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I think Sliders is going to be more overpriced than it should.

QL should have been 39.99 with discounts in the low 20's maybe less.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I think Sliders is going to be more overpriced than it should.

QL should have been 39.99 with discounts in the low 20's maybe less.

R. Kay

Second Unit
---------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------

That was exactly my point! This thread wasnt meant to be a joke Kyle.

R. Kay

Second Unit
---------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------------

That was exactly my point! This thread wasnt meant to be a joke Kyle.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Some Pioneer/Geneon Animation discs are still 3 episodes a disc for $30MSRP ($22 discounted). I consider that a ripoff ;)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Some Pioneer/Geneon Animation discs are still 3 episodes a disc for $30MSRP ($22 discounted). I consider that a ripoff ;)

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
People quoting MSPR is really annoying because it usually some obscene number which isn't even close to what the price is.

Take Quantum Leap, $60 MSPR, $32.50 in reality from DVDSoon. That is almost HALF of the MSRP.

In the days of national chains and online stores, things really don't change much from store to store.

Paul

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
People quoting MSPR is really annoying because it usually some obscene number which isn't even close to what the price is.

Take Quantum Leap, $60 MSPR, $32.50 in reality from DVDSoon. That is almost HALF of the MSRP.

In the days of national chains and online stores, things really don't change much from store to store.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks