What's new

What HDTV Antenna are you using? (1 Viewer)

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator
I'm trying to get a sense of what HDTV antenna's are better than others. So if you could respond with which one you are using or have used and your experiance, that would be great.

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator
I'm trying to get a sense of what HDTV antenna's are better than others. So if you could respond with which one you are using or have used and your experiance, that would be great.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I tried a bunch of models and the best (and bargain price) I found was the Channel Master model 4221 UHF 4x bowtie antenna. By the way there is no "HDTV" antenna, they are broadcast on the same UHF (and a few VHF) bands so the same antennas for analog are used for digital channels. Most digital/HD channels are UHF so its important to get one designed for good reception on HF which the 4221 is.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
I tried a bunch of models and the best (and bargain price) I found was the Channel Master model 4221 UHF 4x bowtie antenna. By the way there is no "HDTV" antenna, they are broadcast on the same UHF (and a few VHF) bands so the same antennas for analog are used for digital channels. Most digital/HD channels are UHF so its important to get one designed for good reception on HF which the 4221 is.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What may work for Don, may not work for you. Every situation is different (almost). First you should go to AntennaWeb to find the type (UHF, VHF or both) and size antenna you need. It could be anything from a Silver Sensor that sits on your TV to a ChannelMaster 4228 (about 4 feet wide) mounted on your roof.

The only thing that is common with antennas is that Terk is over priced for the performance you get out of it. An antenna's performance is related to it's design so stay away from stealth models of the ones that clip on your satellite dish.

-Robert

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What may work for Don, may not work for you. Every situation is different (almost). First you should go to AntennaWeb to find the type (UHF, VHF or both) and size antenna you need. It could be anything from a Silver Sensor that sits on your TV to a ChannelMaster 4228 (about 4 feet wide) mounted on your roof.

The only thing that is common with antennas is that Terk is over priced for the performance you get out of it. An antenna's performance is related to it's design so stay away from stealth models of the ones that clip on your satellite dish.

-Robert

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the information.

Yes, I knew HDTV is mostly all broadcast over UHF, but wanted to be specific in the subject.

I've visited antennaweb a few times. But I find their information to be pretty general.

Don't get me wrong they provided the information about what channels are available and how far away they are, like this: These ABC, NBC, CBS, UPN & PBS are ~10 miles away, then there is FOX which is ~30 miles away. If it helps, I live in the Seattle area. Which have plenty of rolling hills and trees everywhere.

But I was hoping to avoid the buy, try, return and repeat method of actually selecting an antenna. The information about TERK being over priced for the performance is what I'm looking for.

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the information.

Yes, I knew HDTV is mostly all broadcast over UHF, but wanted to be specific in the subject.

I've visited antennaweb a few times. But I find their information to be pretty general.

Don't get me wrong they provided the information about what channels are available and how far away they are, like this: These ABC, NBC, CBS, UPN & PBS are ~10 miles away, then there is FOX which is ~30 miles away. If it helps, I live in the Seattle area. Which have plenty of rolling hills and trees everywhere.

But I was hoping to avoid the buy, try, return and repeat method of actually selecting an antenna. The information about TERK being over priced for the performance is what I'm looking for.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Are all the stations in the same general direction, what is the compass direction for them? The 10 mile away stations should be easy to receive with almost anything (except maybe a Terk ) but the 30mile away station may require a decent outdoor antenna like the CM4221. Whats your elevation and are there obstructions (hills,trees,etc) in the direction of the stations?

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
Are all the stations in the same general direction, what is the compass direction for them? The 10 mile away stations should be easy to receive with almost anything (except maybe a Terk ) but the 30mile away station may require a decent outdoor antenna like the CM4221. Whats your elevation and are there obstructions (hills,trees,etc) in the direction of the stations?

Hank_P

Second Unit
Robert is correct in what may work for others, may not fit your need. I have two OTA HD boxes. The first box I received, I connect a Radio Shack Double Bowtie to it and it worked beautifully. I later picked up another OTA HD box for a newly purchased big screen for the bedroom. This time I had the Zenith Silver Sensor, and it just didn't work for me. The Zenith has been praised by many on this board, but it didn't work in my situation, I purchased a second RS Double and all it beautiful in my world.

The Zenith couldn't pull in one station, and the colors where not as 'bright', kind of dull/washed out.

On a side note, I did try a channel master, but it was overkill since I was pretty close to the towers.

Hank_P

Second Unit
Robert is correct in what may work for others, may not fit your need. I have two OTA HD boxes. The first box I received, I connect a Radio Shack Double Bowtie to it and it worked beautifully. I later picked up another OTA HD box for a newly purchased big screen for the bedroom. This time I had the Zenith Silver Sensor, and it just didn't work for me. The Zenith has been praised by many on this board, but it didn't work in my situation, I purchased a second RS Double and all it beautiful in my world.

The Zenith couldn't pull in one station, and the colors where not as 'bright', kind of dull/washed out.

On a side note, I did try a channel master, but it was overkill since I was pretty close to the towers.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I use a combination of a RS Double Bowtie UHF antenna and a signal booster. I live about 20 miles from the towers.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I use a combination of a RS Double Bowtie UHF antenna and a signal booster. I live about 20 miles from the towers.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I use a Channel Master 4248 UHF Antenna. Works perfectly. I'm about 20 miles south of the Mt. Wilson TV transmitters.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I use a Channel Master 4248 UHF Antenna. Works perfectly. I'm about 20 miles south of the Mt. Wilson TV transmitters.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have $20 Radio Shack UHF mounted on my roof. My reception is very strong (less than 10 miles from the towers). I could have gotten away with an indoor (I tried the Jensen TV940 and RS double bowtie, both of which I'm looking to sell), but a bus line goes right by my house and I live on a busy traffic corner, so the traffic (and in particular the big reflective sides of the buses) were causing signal interference at ground level.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I have $20 Radio Shack UHF mounted on my roof. My reception is very strong (less than 10 miles from the towers). I could have gotten away with an indoor (I tried the Jensen TV940 and RS double bowtie, both of which I'm looking to sell), but a bus line goes right by my house and I live on a busy traffic corner, so the traffic (and in particular the big reflective sides of the buses) were causing signal interference at ground level.

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, thanks all for the information.

Don, the stations are tightly grouped from 225° to 236° compass orientation from my place. At least I'll be able to point to all them with out needing a rotor.

Because of the hills and trees surrounding my place, it seems my best bet would be the roof mounted type.

I'll take a trip to RS tonight and see what they have.

SteveLeach

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, thanks all for the information.

Don, the stations are tightly grouped from 225° to 236° compass orientation from my place. At least I'll be able to point to all them with out needing a rotor.

Because of the hills and trees surrounding my place, it seems my best bet would be the roof mounted type.

I'll take a trip to RS tonight and see what they have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks