Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Yamaha receiver keeps shutting down!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Hendryk

Hendryk

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 04:46 AM

I just picked up a used Yamaha R-V502 receiver. It appears to be in good working order except for one thing. When I connect all 4 speakers in the rear of the unit, the receiver will shut off. If I connect only 2 speakers, it stays on.

The speakers are from the mid-70's (2 are from an old Sears stereo system, the other 2 were built from parts from Radio Shack). I had an old Denon receiver that accomodated these speakers for many years until it, too, started to shut down (it never powered back up).

Does it sound like 2 of my speakers have just gone bad? Or did I get a bad receiver?

Thanks!

#2 of 10 Chris Brock

Chris Brock

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 05:11 AM

are we talking about a 2 channel reciever and you are connecting a pair of speakers to the A speaker output and another to the B speaker output? if that is true then it might be possible that you are running the reciever at to low of an impedance.

#3 of 10 Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 05:30 AM

I think that is a surround receiver. You need to check the wiring and speakers. What impedance speakers are they and do they sound ok when you play them separately in stereo mode?

#4 of 10 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted June 21 2004 - 05:44 AM

I would take the two that usually make it turn off, and connect just them. See if turns off then. If it does, then it may be something with those speakers. Makes sure the wires aren't frayed at either end for each speaker (at speaker and at receiver). If it's frayed, and a wire is touching something it shouldn't, it will put receiver in protect mode, and turn it off.
Good luck!
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#5 of 10 Hendryk

Hendryk

Auditioning

• 9 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 04:46 AM

I just picked up a used Yamaha R-V502 receiver. It appears to be in good working order except for one thing. When I connect all 4 speakers in the rear of the unit, the receiver will shut off. If I connect only 2 speakers, it stays on.

The speakers are from the mid-70's (2 are from an old Sears stereo system, the other 2 were built from parts from Radio Shack). I had an old Denon receiver that accomodated these speakers for many years until it, too, started to shut down (it never powered back up).

Does it sound like 2 of my speakers have just gone bad? Or did I get a bad receiver?

Thanks!

#6 of 10 Chris Brock

Chris Brock

Second Unit

• 328 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 05:11 AM

are we talking about a 2 channel reciever and you are connecting a pair of speakers to the A speaker output and another to the B speaker output? if that is true then it might be possible that you are running the reciever at to low of an impedance.

#7 of 10 Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio

Screenwriter

• 1,035 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 05:30 AM

I think that is a surround receiver. You need to check the wiring and speakers. What impedance speakers are they and do they sound ok when you play them separately in stereo mode?

#8 of 10 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Screenwriter

• 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted June 21 2004 - 05:44 AM

I would take the two that usually make it turn off, and connect just them. See if turns off then. If it does, then it may be something with those speakers. Makes sure the wires aren't frayed at either end for each speaker (at speaker and at receiver). If it's frayed, and a wire is touching something it shouldn't, it will put receiver in protect mode, and turn it off.
Good luck!
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#9 of 10 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 06:09 AM

Henry,

Sounds like you have some low-impedence speakers there, like 4-ohm or lower. Most modern A/V receivers aren’t too tolerant of them. It may have what fried your Denon, too.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews

#10 of 10 Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Producer

• 5,910 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 06:09 AM

Henry,

Sounds like you have some low-impedence speakers there, like 4-ohm or lower. Most modern A/V receivers aren’t too tolerant of them. It may have what fried your Denon, too.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

My Equipment List
“A nice mid-fi system,” according to an audiophile acquaintance.

My Tech / DIY Articles and Reviews