What's new

B5 creator writes new Trek treatment.... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The following was posted at www.trektoday.com

Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski claimed that he recently worked on the development of a new Star Trek series.

Cinescape has reprinted the news from a post at JMS News, in which Straczynski said that he and Dark Skies creator Bryce Zabel had written a treatment earlier this year for a new television series for Paramount. Straczynski stated that the new installment of the franchise would restore Star Trek "in a big way", adding, "I actually think it could be a hell of a show. Whether that ever goes anywhere with Paramount, who knows?"

Though there have been rumours that Paramount had entertained outside pitches for new Star Trek shows from everyone from William Shatner to a group of horror film producers, this is the first time another major television science fiction team has claimed to be working on a project independent of Rick Berman, who has been an executive producer of Star Trek for nearly two decades.

Berman's current production partner Brannon Braga has stated in interviews that he will not be the show-runner for Star Trek: Enterprise next season, with new writer Manny Coto likely to take over those duties, according to several actors on the show. Straczynski praised Coto and offered veiled criticism of Berman and Braga at the same time, saying, "Left to his own devices, I think he could be a big help over there without the other powers that be impeding the process."

The Great Link has previously reported Straczynski's claims that he was invited to become an executive producer on Enterprise, but declined the position.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
The following was posted at www.trektoday.com

Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski claimed that he recently worked on the development of a new Star Trek series.

Cinescape has reprinted the news from a post at JMS News, in which Straczynski said that he and Dark Skies creator Bryce Zabel had written a treatment earlier this year for a new television series for Paramount. Straczynski stated that the new installment of the franchise would restore Star Trek "in a big way", adding, "I actually think it could be a hell of a show. Whether that ever goes anywhere with Paramount, who knows?"

Though there have been rumours that Paramount had entertained outside pitches for new Star Trek shows from everyone from William Shatner to a group of horror film producers, this is the first time another major television science fiction team has claimed to be working on a project independent of Rick Berman, who has been an executive producer of Star Trek for nearly two decades.

Berman's current production partner Brannon Braga has stated in interviews that he will not be the show-runner for Star Trek: Enterprise next season, with new writer Manny Coto likely to take over those duties, according to several actors on the show. Straczynski praised Coto and offered veiled criticism of Berman and Braga at the same time, saying, "Left to his own devices, I think he could be a big help over there without the other powers that be impeding the process."

The Great Link has previously reported Straczynski's claims that he was invited to become an executive producer on Enterprise, but declined the position.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
While I'd love to see JMS take on Trek, I still think Trek needs to go away for a few years. (And I'm saying that as a BIG Trek fan..)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
While I'd love to see JMS take on Trek, I still think Trek needs to go away for a few years. (And I'm saying that as a BIG Trek fan..)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
As much as I like JMS I dont want to see him working on Trek and I think the franchise should go away for at least 5 years.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
As much as I like JMS I dont want to see him working on Trek and I think the franchise should go away for at least 5 years.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Michael St. Clair wrote (post #4):

As I've been saying for some time now, it is the studio's "Franchise", it's biggest, perennially steadiest "cash cow". Nobody should be surprised at the likelihood of any of these rumors. They're not going to just let it go quietly into the night. I see every reason to believe they'll wreck it before they'll let it go.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Michael St. Clair wrote (post #4):

As I've been saying for some time now, it is the studio's "Franchise", it's biggest, perennially steadiest "cash cow". Nobody should be surprised at the likelihood of any of these rumors. They're not going to just let it go quietly into the night. I see every reason to believe they'll wreck it before they'll let it go.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Yep, that's exactly why I don't forsee a franchise haitus.

'Enterprise' (and 'Voyager') are not enough to scare Paramount into retiring their biggest franchise.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Yep, that's exactly why I don't forsee a franchise haitus.

'Enterprise' (and 'Voyager') are not enough to scare Paramount into retiring their biggest franchise.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Why does it need to go away?

If they do a good enough show then time away doesn't matter.

For those who like Sci Fi there isn't nearly enough good stuff on TV, if the new show is good, then people will watch it, hiatus or not.

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Why does it need to go away?

If they do a good enough show then time away doesn't matter.

For those who like Sci Fi there isn't nearly enough good stuff on TV, if the new show is good, then people will watch it, hiatus or not.

John Madia

Second Unit
I agree with Trek not needing to go away to be revived. I stopped watching Enterprise after the season 3 opener but I would definatley watch the series premier of a new series. If that new series revives the Trek franchise, does it really matter how many years have passed (if any) between it and Enterprise? Waiting three or four years will not make anyone forget Voyager or Enterprise. Putting out a better show will. The only problem would be if they're competing against one another and the new show is light years ahead of Enterprise.

As for Straczynski, I haven't seen Babylon 5 so I can't really comment although it's sad to say that I have more faith in him than I do B&B.

John Madia

Second Unit
I agree with Trek not needing to go away to be revived. I stopped watching Enterprise after the season 3 opener but I would definatley watch the series premier of a new series. If that new series revives the Trek franchise, does it really matter how many years have passed (if any) between it and Enterprise? Waiting three or four years will not make anyone forget Voyager or Enterprise. Putting out a better show will. The only problem would be if they're competing against one another and the new show is light years ahead of Enterprise.

As for Straczynski, I haven't seen Babylon 5 so I can't really comment although it's sad to say that I have more faith in him than I do B&B.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately for Paramount, John, is the simple fact that people simply are tired of Star Trek, period.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately for Paramount, John, is the simple fact that people simply are tired of Star Trek, period.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'd be on board for a Straczynski/Zabel Trek, but though I think bringing in a big name or two is the right thing for Paramount to do, I think they need to make a bigger splash - who aside from the nerds knows from Straczynski? I suppose you can publicize it as "the creator of Babylon 5".

As Rex says, Star Trek isn't going away. It makes Paramount $200M/year, which even in Hollywood terms is real money. Seeing that the revenue is dropping, the studio basically has three options:

(1) Retreat, and watch that revenue stream dry up fast when Trek stops being current. Unlikely.

(2) Be conservative, continuing the Berman stewardship and watching the stream slowly dry up. I gather they're getting tired of that, and I wouldn't be surprised if DS9/Voyager DVD sales were a warning that the future wasn't guaranteed.

(3) Be bold, making an effort to make Star Trek mainstream again. If Trek gets back to its TNG level of popularity, it could pull in half a billion dollars a year with the new revenue streams.

I don't buy the argument that "people simply are tired of Star Trek, period." As Jack knows, I never have. People are tired of mediocre-to-bad Star Trek, which is pretty much what we've been fed the past five years (more, if you're among the crowd who missed DS9), so it's pretty easy to misdiagnose the problem.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I'd be on board for a Straczynski/Zabel Trek, but though I think bringing in a big name or two is the right thing for Paramount to do, I think they need to make a bigger splash - who aside from the nerds knows from Straczynski? I suppose you can publicize it as "the creator of Babylon 5".

As Rex says, Star Trek isn't going away. It makes Paramount $200M/year, which even in Hollywood terms is real money. Seeing that the revenue is dropping, the studio basically has three options:

(1) Retreat, and watch that revenue stream dry up fast when Trek stops being current. Unlikely.

(2) Be conservative, continuing the Berman stewardship and watching the stream slowly dry up. I gather they're getting tired of that, and I wouldn't be surprised if DS9/Voyager DVD sales were a warning that the future wasn't guaranteed.

(3) Be bold, making an effort to make Star Trek mainstream again. If Trek gets back to its TNG level of popularity, it could pull in half a billion dollars a year with the new revenue streams.

I don't buy the argument that "people simply are tired of Star Trek, period." As Jack knows, I never have. People are tired of mediocre-to-bad Star Trek, which is pretty much what we've been fed the past five years (more, if you're among the crowd who missed DS9), so it's pretty easy to misdiagnose the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks