Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

B5 creator writes new Trek treatment....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
96 replies to this topic

#1 of 97 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 04:19 AM

The following was posted at www.trektoday.com

Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski claimed that he recently worked on the development of a new Star Trek series.

Cinescape has reprinted the news from a post at JMS News, in which Straczynski said that he and Dark Skies creator Bryce Zabel had written a treatment earlier this year for a new television series for Paramount. Straczynski stated that the new installment of the franchise would restore Star Trek "in a big way", adding, "I actually think it could be a hell of a show. Whether that ever goes anywhere with Paramount, who knows?"

Though there have been rumours that Paramount had entertained outside pitches for new Star Trek shows from everyone from William Shatner to a group of horror film producers, this is the first time another major television science fiction team has claimed to be working on a project independent of Rick Berman, who has been an executive producer of Star Trek for nearly two decades.

Berman's current production partner Brannon Braga has stated in interviews that he will not be the show-runner for Star Trek: Enterprise next season, with new writer Manny Coto likely to take over those duties, according to several actors on the show. Straczynski praised Coto and offered veiled criticism of Berman and Braga at the same time, saying, "Left to his own devices, I think he could be a big help over there without the other powers that be impeding the process."

The Great Link has previously reported Straczynski's claims that he was invited to become an executive producer on Enterprise, but declined the position.

Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#2 of 97 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 04:26 AM

While I'd love to see JMS take on Trek, I still think Trek needs to go away for a few years. (And I'm saying that as a BIG Trek fan..)

#3 of 97 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 04:44 AM

As much as I like JMS I dont want to see him working on Trek and I think the franchise should go away for at least 5 years.

#4 of 97 OFFLINE   todd s

todd s

Lead Actor

• 6,935 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 04:19 AM

The following was posted at www.trektoday.com

Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski claimed that he recently worked on the development of a new Star Trek series.

Cinescape has reprinted the news from a post at JMS News, in which Straczynski said that he and Dark Skies creator Bryce Zabel had written a treatment earlier this year for a new television series for Paramount. Straczynski stated that the new installment of the franchise would restore Star Trek "in a big way", adding, "I actually think it could be a hell of a show. Whether that ever goes anywhere with Paramount, who knows?"

Though there have been rumours that Paramount had entertained outside pitches for new Star Trek shows from everyone from William Shatner to a group of horror film producers, this is the first time another major television science fiction team has claimed to be working on a project independent of Rick Berman, who has been an executive producer of Star Trek for nearly two decades.

Berman's current production partner Brannon Braga has stated in interviews that he will not be the show-runner for Star Trek: Enterprise next season, with new writer Manny Coto likely to take over those duties, according to several actors on the show. Straczynski praised Coto and offered veiled criticism of Berman and Braga at the same time, saying, "Left to his own devices, I think he could be a big help over there without the other powers that be impeding the process."

The Great Link has previously reported Straczynski's claims that he was invited to become an executive producer on Enterprise, but declined the position.

Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#5 of 97 OFFLINE   Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen

Producer

• 3,150 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 04:26 AM

While I'd love to see JMS take on Trek, I still think Trek needs to go away for a few years. (And I'm saying that as a BIG Trek fan..)

#6 of 97 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 04:44 AM

As much as I like JMS I dont want to see him working on Trek and I think the franchise should go away for at least 5 years.

#7 of 97 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 06:30 AM

I think 3 years off would suffice but I don't think Paramount will do it.

#8 of 97 OFFLINE   Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter

• 1,975 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 06:51 AM

Michael St. Clair wrote (post #4):

Quote:
I think 3 years off would suffice but I don't think Paramount will do it.

As I've been saying for some time now, it is the studio's "Franchise", it's biggest, perennially steadiest "cash cow". Nobody should be surprised at the likelihood of any of these rumors. They're not going to just let it go quietly into the night. I see every reason to believe they'll wreck it before they'll let it go.

"Delenda est . . . . "

#9 of 97 OFFLINE   Michael St. Clair

Michael St. Clair

Producer

• 6,009 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 07:16 AM

Quote:
I see every reason to believe they'll wreck it before they'll let it go.

Yep, that's exactly why I don't forsee a franchise haitus.

'Enterprise' (and 'Voyager') are not enough to scare Paramount into retiring their biggest franchise.

#10 of 97 OFFLINE   Eric_Connelly

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit

• 460 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 08:01 AM

Why does it need to go away?

If they do a good enough show then time away doesn't matter.

For those who like Sci Fi there isn't nearly enough good stuff on TV, if the new show is good, then people will watch it, hiatus or not.

#11 of 97 OFFLINE   John Madia

John Madia

Second Unit

• 259 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 08:19 AM

I agree with Trek not needing to go away to be revived. I stopped watching Enterprise after the season 3 opener but I would definatley watch the series premier of a new series. If that new series revives the Trek franchise, does it really matter how many years have passed (if any) between it and Enterprise? Waiting three or four years will not make anyone forget Voyager or Enterprise. Putting out a better show will. The only problem would be if they're competing against one another and the new show is light years ahead of Enterprise.

As for Straczynski, I haven't seen Babylon 5 so I can't really comment although it's sad to say that I have more faith in him than I do B&B.

#12 of 97 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 10:31 AM

Unfortunately for Paramount, John, is the simple fact that people simply are tired of Star Trek, period.

#13 of 97 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 02:29 PM

I'd be on board for a Straczynski/Zabel Trek, but though I think bringing in a big name or two is the right thing for Paramount to do, I think they need to make a bigger splash - who aside from the nerds knows from Straczynski? I suppose you can publicize it as "the creator of Babylon 5".

As Rex says, Star Trek isn't going away. It makes Paramount $200M/year, which even in Hollywood terms is real money. Seeing that the revenue is dropping, the studio basically has three options:

(1) Retreat, and watch that revenue stream dry up fast when Trek stops being current. Unlikely.

(2) Be conservative, continuing the Berman stewardship and watching the stream slowly dry up. I gather they're getting tired of that, and I wouldn't be surprised if DS9/Voyager DVD sales were a warning that the future wasn't guaranteed.

(3) Be bold, making an effort to make Star Trek mainstream again. If Trek gets back to its TNG level of popularity, it could pull in half a billion dollars a year with the new revenue streams.

I don't buy the argument that "people simply are tired of Star Trek, period." As Jack knows, I never have. People are tired of mediocre-to-bad Star Trek, which is pretty much what we've been fed the past five years (more, if you're among the crowd who missed DS9), so it's pretty easy to misdiagnose the problem.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#14 of 97 OFFLINE   Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa

Producer

• 5,287 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 05:02 PM

I agree Mediocre or Bad Trek Television and Movies haved soured the public more than anything else. If a series came along that forged the future while still embracing and honoring the past I think the fans (and there are alot of them) will flock to see it. If People were tired of Trek then the DVD sets would'nt be big sellers, Paramount would'nt be rereleasing TOS or thinking about releasing the animated shows.
My DVD Collection

The Megaplex

#15 of 97 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 03:12 AM

Well, I take this news with a grain of salt, not because I don't think it is true, because I do think so, but because all this seems to be is a pitch for a show.

It doesn't mean 1) that JMS is going to run the show 2) that the concept will survive intact (As what has happened to the last two shows.)

It will take more than this to convince me.

Jason

#16 of 97 OFFLINE   PaulBigelow

PaulBigelow

Stunt Coordinator

• 139 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 03:38 AM

Star Trek doesn't need to "go away" for awhile. If some people are claiming to be tired of it are they *really* going to come back if something else shows up?

People change, tastes change and maybe they're tired of Trek, period.

To me, a good show is a good show and there are precious few these days.

I enjoyed STNG, DS9, thought Voyager was a bit weak, and am enjoying Enterprise.
Best regards,

Paul Bigelow

#17 of 97 OFFLINE   Nigel McN

Nigel McN

Supporting Actor

• 848 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 04:05 AM

geez that article was longer than the post!

Here's the actual post.
http://www.jmsnews.c...aspx?id=1-17113
Quote:
>Manny Coto is, I believe, show runner; not EP.

No, just to clarify, though I got a call last year about coming onto
Enterprise, offering an EP position, and declined, the series I mentioned has
nothing to do with any current series, it's a new show. As for Manny, he's a
good writer, and left to his own devices, I think he could be a big help over
there without the other powers that be impeding the process.

Amusingly enough, on the Trek front, Bryce Zabel (the creator of Dark Skies)
and I got together and wrote a treatment earlier this year that specified how
to save ST and develop a series that would restore the series in a big way. I
actually think it could be a hell of a show. Whether that ever goes anywhere
with Paramount, who knows?

jms

people are playing it up for news sake I think.

#18 of 97 OFFLINE   Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs

Executive Producer

• 16,725 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 04:06 AM

I've long wondered what my own attitude would have been had Star Trek maintained the consistently good-to-excellent level it maintained during the glory days of the TNG/DS9 era. Really. Had neither Voyager nor Enterprise come along, had Berman and Braga moved on to other things (the way most people do), had new things been tried, had a genuine SF influence taken hold, and on and on.

Really.

#19 of 97 OFFLINE   Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman

Producer

• 4,184 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 04:47 AM

Quote:
Why does it need to go away?

Because a lot of damage has been done and I dont think you will get people back.

Note to Paramount. How about creating a new show to make money?

#20 of 97 OFFLINE   TheLongshot

TheLongshot

Producer

• 4,119 posts

Posted June 22 2004 - 08:46 AM

Quote:
I've long wondered what my own attitude would have been had Star Trek maintained the consistently good-to-excellent level it maintained during the glory days of the TNG/DS9 era.

The question is, could they keep it up? The odds are usually against it. I think the decent of Trek was unavoidable, considering how long it has gone on without a break.

Jason

Back to TV Programming

Forum Nav Content I Follow