-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Paramount -2 birds with 1 stone

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Bob Engleman

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 02:49 AM

As a tribute to 1 of our most popular presidents, and to rectify a situation that's abysmal, a restoration of " The Last Outpost" ( Cavalry Charge ) would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, the rights to this title were sold several yrs. ago to Ivy Video, which's released the worst DVD I've watched. Martin, will the rights be reverting to Paramount?

In addition to the above, please consider the following:

1.Buccaneer, The
2.Pony Express
3.Villa Rides!

The aforementioned titles were sold to Kartes Communication in the early 80's, but reverted with 1 & 2 receiving VHS releases by the studio.

As always, thanks for your efforts on behalf of DVD.

Bob Engleman

#2 of 6 Bob Engleman

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 02:49 AM

As a tribute to 1 of our most popular presidents, and to rectify a situation that's abysmal, a restoration of " The Last Outpost" ( Cavalry Charge ) would be greatly appreciated. Unfortunately, the rights to this title were sold several yrs. ago to Ivy Video, which's released the worst DVD I've watched. Martin, will the rights be reverting to Paramount?

In addition to the above, please consider the following:

1.Buccaneer, The
2.Pony Express
3.Villa Rides!

The aforementioned titles were sold to Kartes Communication in the early 80's, but reverted with 1 & 2 receiving VHS releases by the studio.

As always, thanks for your efforts on behalf of DVD.

Bob Engleman

#3 of 6 Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 08:43 AM

Does PARAMOUNT now have the rights back for a DVD release of BECKET?
Ken

#4 of 6 Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 829 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 08:43 AM

Does PARAMOUNT now have the rights back for a DVD release of BECKET?
Ken

#5 of 6 Radik

Radik

Extra

• 16 posts

Posted August 12 2004 - 08:55 PM

I think, yes.

#6 of 6 Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

• 1,142 posts

Posted August 15 2004 - 07:20 PM

No, I think MPI still has the DVD rights from the Hal Wallis estate to BECKET, as they provided most (but not all) the materials for the recent restoration.

As for Ivy Video, I think they are a quasi-public domain company. They are an offshoot of a small distributor named Crystal Pictures, whose catalog offers 35mm prints of older films for revival. They seem to be reputable, although their last catalog was offering prints of titles that are currently controlled by other companies; for example, they list THE UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG even though the theatrical rights for the U.S. are owned by Zeitgeist and Koch Lorber.

In short, I think if Paramount wants to issue their own DVD of THE LAST OUTPOST, they can.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal