What's new

Star Trek future movies? (1 Viewer)

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I just watched Nemesis for about the sixth time and seeing as how the ending was left very open, does anyone think that there might be another Star Trek movie? I know that the original cast has little interest in getting back into character, but do you think that there might be another movie with perhaps a different cast?

Jim Williams

Second Unit
I just watched Nemesis for about the sixth time and seeing as how the ending was left very open, does anyone think that there might be another Star Trek movie? I know that the original cast has little interest in getting back into character, but do you think that there might be another movie with perhaps a different cast?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jim demonstrates stamina in seeing that last film six times.

Its poor performance at the box office pretty much spelled the death knell for any further films based on the TNG characters -- and almost spelled the end of all Star Trek films for good. Yet rumors of a new series of prequel films are making themselves heard. Bad idea (at least if Rick Berman has any control).

Overall, Star Trek in all its incarnations needs retiring for a long, long while (and I mean years). People are tired of it because Paramount went into overkill with all the series spinoffs and bad movies.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Jim demonstrates stamina in seeing that last film six times.

Its poor performance at the box office pretty much spelled the death knell for any further films based on the TNG characters -- and almost spelled the end of all Star Trek films for good. Yet rumors of a new series of prequel films are making themselves heard. Bad idea (at least if Rick Berman has any control).

Overall, Star Trek in all its incarnations needs retiring for a long, long while (and I mean years). People are tired of it because Paramount went into overkill with all the series spinoffs and bad movies.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Berman recently stated again that the next film will be a prequel.

No thanks - no interested:thumbsdown:

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Berman recently stated again that the next film will be a prequel.

No thanks - no interested:thumbsdown:

DanHaya

Second Unit

Yeah, it sounds like they're talking about doing a trilogy of movies featuring a group of cadets at Starfleet Academy. Based on what I have read around the net, they would be totally new characters. No young Kirk or young Picard running around.

I still wish that they would do one more movie featuring the TNG cast. After watching Nemesis a few times on DVD and cable, it's not as bad as I one thought it was. Granted, it's not the best, but it had some good moments. I think the two main reasons it didn't gross much at the box office is 1) the bad reviews it got leading up to its release and 2) Paramount's porr decision to release it a week prior to The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. That pretty much killed it. The same thing happened to Star Trek V back in 1989...it came out at the same time that Batman did. So, even if it had been a better film, it still would've gotten crushed by LOTR.

If I had my wish, I would make one more TNG-era film. And I would try to incorporate some of the characters from DS9 and Voyager if possible. Perhaps a climactic Mirror Universe story...would be easier to have lots of cameos that way. Maybe even include Q in it somehow. If they brought back Ira Steven Behr (who, IMHO, had a great run with DS9), I'd be all for it!

Then, Star Trek needs to take a break for a good 5-10 years before coming back.

DanHaya

Second Unit

Yeah, it sounds like they're talking about doing a trilogy of movies featuring a group of cadets at Starfleet Academy. Based on what I have read around the net, they would be totally new characters. No young Kirk or young Picard running around.

I still wish that they would do one more movie featuring the TNG cast. After watching Nemesis a few times on DVD and cable, it's not as bad as I one thought it was. Granted, it's not the best, but it had some good moments. I think the two main reasons it didn't gross much at the box office is 1) the bad reviews it got leading up to its release and 2) Paramount's porr decision to release it a week prior to The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. That pretty much killed it. The same thing happened to Star Trek V back in 1989...it came out at the same time that Batman did. So, even if it had been a better film, it still would've gotten crushed by LOTR.

If I had my wish, I would make one more TNG-era film. And I would try to incorporate some of the characters from DS9 and Voyager if possible. Perhaps a climactic Mirror Universe story...would be easier to have lots of cameos that way. Maybe even include Q in it somehow. If they brought back Ira Steven Behr (who, IMHO, had a great run with DS9), I'd be all for it!

Then, Star Trek needs to take a break for a good 5-10 years before coming back.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit

I'm sorry, are you being held somewhere against your will?

What they need to do is pull a "Picard wakes up and realizes Nemesis was just a dream so everything is as it was before that piece of crap happened" type of dealie.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit

I'm sorry, are you being held somewhere against your will?

What they need to do is pull a "Picard wakes up and realizes Nemesis was just a dream so everything is as it was before that piece of crap happened" type of dealie.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I guess I never saw the attraction to a lot of the TNG villians / characters.

I thought Q was a terrible idea.

I thought the Borg, while an interesting concept, was poorly implemented.

I thought that anyone who ever dreamed of doing a time-travel plot in TNG should have been plugged into 500KV for a couple of days.

And when they combined the Borg and Time Travel in First Contact, well...

(The reason why I put that specification on Time Travel in was I found ST-IV amusing, enough so that it didn't trigger my Time-Travel-Barf-Reflex.)

As for Nemisis, well... actually, I think it really holds to all Star Trek:

YOU CAN'T HAVE A UNIVERSE-DESTROYING WEAPON IN EVERY FILM!

Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I guess I never saw the attraction to a lot of the TNG villians / characters.

I thought Q was a terrible idea.

I thought the Borg, while an interesting concept, was poorly implemented.

I thought that anyone who ever dreamed of doing a time-travel plot in TNG should have been plugged into 500KV for a couple of days.

And when they combined the Borg and Time Travel in First Contact, well...

(The reason why I put that specification on Time Travel in was I found ST-IV amusing, enough so that it didn't trigger my Time-Travel-Barf-Reflex.)

As for Nemisis, well... actually, I think it really holds to all Star Trek:

YOU CAN'T HAVE A UNIVERSE-DESTROYING WEAPON IN EVERY FILM!

Leo Kerr

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I hope they don't bother unless they first come up with a strong story that builds on the series and does justice to the characters (unlike the past two movies).

I enjoyed watching Nemesis, but as I reflected on it and talked with friends about it my opinion changed. I realized that it was a very poor Star Trek movie. Tossing in the Riker/Troy wedding with no build up was a mockery to the long-running tensions between the characters. The story, disconnected from previous ST stories, was a poor decision and made the movie feel like a mediocre 2-hour TV episode. Killing Data and replacing him with Data2 was cheap drama and a waste of such a tremendous event.

It's unfortunate they squandered such a remarkable cast and story-telling universe on Nemesis. :frowning:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I hope they don't bother unless they first come up with a strong story that builds on the series and does justice to the characters (unlike the past two movies).

I enjoyed watching Nemesis, but as I reflected on it and talked with friends about it my opinion changed. I realized that it was a very poor Star Trek movie. Tossing in the Riker/Troy wedding with no build up was a mockery to the long-running tensions between the characters. The story, disconnected from previous ST stories, was a poor decision and made the movie feel like a mediocre 2-hour TV episode. Killing Data and replacing him with Data2 was cheap drama and a waste of such a tremendous event.

It's unfortunate they squandered such a remarkable cast and story-telling universe on Nemesis. :frowning:

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
IMHO Nemesis is as good as Generations and easily better than the horrid Insurrection.

In ST:G, I cant get past the stupid way they destroyed the Enterprise D.
OK, they found a way to penetrate the shields, after all that Borg experience youd figure someone somewhere would say "why not rotate the shield modulation" -instead they go into a stupid theory of Ionic Pulses and whatnot.

Even without shields,I cant see a small Bird Of Prey going toe to toe with a Galaxy class ship.

(:D geek mode off)

I found the first hour to be fun and enjoyable but it all goes downhill from there.

I would still like to see Riker and LaForge again,maybe with some other characters we know -Shelby,Barclay,Bashir,Paris for example.

Wait a few years,get rid of Berman,and bring in some fresh ideas. The Starfleet Academy idea wasnt good enough for TV so why make it into a film?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
IMHO Nemesis is as good as Generations and easily better than the horrid Insurrection.

In ST:G, I cant get past the stupid way they destroyed the Enterprise D.
OK, they found a way to penetrate the shields, after all that Borg experience youd figure someone somewhere would say "why not rotate the shield modulation" -instead they go into a stupid theory of Ionic Pulses and whatnot.

Even without shields,I cant see a small Bird Of Prey going toe to toe with a Galaxy class ship.

(:D geek mode off)

I found the first hour to be fun and enjoyable but it all goes downhill from there.

I would still like to see Riker and LaForge again,maybe with some other characters we know -Shelby,Barclay,Bashir,Paris for example.

Wait a few years,get rid of Berman,and bring in some fresh ideas. The Starfleet Academy idea wasnt good enough for TV so why make it into a film?

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I want another TNG minus Picard and Data - they were so overplayed in the movies and I didn't give a crap about either of them after First Contact. I wanted more time with everyone else.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I want another TNG minus Picard and Data - they were so overplayed in the movies and I didn't give a crap about either of them after First Contact. I wanted more time with everyone else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks