Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Has anyone here made a dvd rack/cabinet?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 of 4 OFFLINE   Josh Davidson

Josh Davidson

Stunt Coordinator

• 83 posts

Posted February 27 2001 - 04:12 PM

I'm thinking about building one and I'm looking for some advice or some good links to find something to model mine after. Also, what kind of wood would you guys suggest? I've worked with MDF for subwoofer enclosures, but I think it may be a little too much overkill for this application, but I could be wrong. Lastly, what are some good finishes.

------------------
Me
Me

Help bring an Uncut version of Conan the Destroyer to DVD

#2 of 4 OFFLINE   Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,889 posts

Posted February 27 2001 - 04:17 PM

The easiest and most basic rack has to wood side walls, and long dowel rods (2 per row) for the DVDs to sit on. Shouldn't cost you more than $20 in wood/rods. Finishing the surfacing is another matter though...

If you want wood shelves in your rack, then it's going to take more wood and more work, and not necessarily yield more functionality.

------------------
PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; LDs
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#3 of 4 OFFLINE   Dan Wolfgang

Dan Wolfgang

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted March 02 2001 - 04:26 AM

I made one. It's on the right.

Posted Image

It's basically just what Pat described. 4 dowels (two on the bottom, two on the back) per shelf. I used 5/4" pine for the sides, top and bottom. I used some 3/4" pine for trim around the bottom. It's nearly 6' tall and 36" wide, holding about 450 DVDs at full capacity. The top of the rack is 8" deep and the bottom is 12". That puts the movies on a slant to the back. This greatly helps stabilize the shelf. I think it cost about $65 for wood; I had the stain and polyeurethane.

I saved the plans for when I have to build another, so I can have a matching set. (And I will have to build another...) Posted Image I could scan the plans for you if you wanted them.

#4 of 4 OFFLINE   Dave Morton

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor

• 754 posts

Posted March 02 2001 - 08:06 AM

I built my CD/DVD shelves in the wall. Check out my HT page below. You can do this even if you have drywall. It will just make more of a mess. But it will save space. I was lucky my basement has that lodge look to it with knotty pine toungue and groove walls.

------------------
------ Dave ------
------------------

MY HT

------ Dave ------
------------------
MY HT

New Family Addition

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users