Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Going to 7.1, what to match with Take 5.2?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   John*Jones

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 06:30 AM

Hey all,

I'm moving into a townhouse soon and I've been planning my HT setup. I gave my brother my Denon 1802 and I will likely upgrade to the 3805. I've been happy with my Energy Take 5.2 speakers, but I decided that when I wire my house I might as well run two extra sets of speaker wire for a future 7.1 setup.

At first I thought of just getting two more Take speakers, but I've decided I'd like a less noticeable look (smaller or inwall) for my surrounds. For example, I liked the look and sound of the Mirage Micro Omnisats.

My question is should I try and stick with speakers from Energy, mix and match or maybe even replace my surrounds completely? I realize it'll come down to what sounds the best for me, but I thought I'd ask for a few opinions before I begin my search.

Thanks!

John

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Drew_W

Drew_W

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 06:24 PM

If you can afford (in terms of space and money) the larger speakers, I'd say move the current front L/R to surround duty and get new mains. That'll do you much better for music and for general H/T performance. Even something like the C1s will be a huge step up for not too much money...they will match perfectly with the other Energy speakers and look striking without the grilles. I've done what I suggest here with my Take 5.2s, only I went with Veritas 2.1 mains. Night and day difference.
I gave up on tracking my collection and actually started watching what I have.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   John*Jones

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 04:24 AM

I hadn't thought of that. That gives me the option of making a gradual updgrade. So using C-1/3 & C-C1/3 with the Take 2.2's as my surrounds would provide an acceptable match? Thanks again.

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   John*Jones

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 06:30 AM

Hey all,

I'm moving into a townhouse soon and I've been planning my HT setup. I gave my brother my Denon 1802 and I will likely upgrade to the 3805. I've been happy with my Energy Take 5.2 speakers, but I decided that when I wire my house I might as well run two extra sets of speaker wire for a future 7.1 setup.

At first I thought of just getting two more Take speakers, but I've decided I'd like a less noticeable look (smaller or inwall) for my surrounds. For example, I liked the look and sound of the Mirage Micro Omnisats.

My question is should I try and stick with speakers from Energy, mix and match or maybe even replace my surrounds completely? I realize it'll come down to what sounds the best for me, but I thought I'd ask for a few opinions before I begin my search.

Thanks!

John

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Drew_W

Drew_W

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 06:24 PM

If you can afford (in terms of space and money) the larger speakers, I'd say move the current front L/R to surround duty and get new mains. That'll do you much better for music and for general H/T performance. Even something like the C1s will be a huge step up for not too much money...they will match perfectly with the other Energy speakers and look striking without the grilles. I've done what I suggest here with my Take 5.2s, only I went with Veritas 2.1 mains. Night and day difference.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   John*Jones

John*Jones

Stunt Coordinator

• 189 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 04:24 AM

I hadn't thought of that. That gives me the option of making a gradual updgrade. So using C-1/3 & C-C1/3 with the Take 2.2's as my surrounds would provide an acceptable match? Thanks again.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Drew_W

Drew_W

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 12:52 PM

They will timbre match perfectly.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Drew_W

Drew_W

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 12:52 PM

They will timbre match perfectly.