What's new

Adire Hurricane Speaker Kit (1 Viewer)

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Has anyone tried this kit yet? I am strongly considering it if I can scrape up the parts for abit less than the selling price of $450 per speaker.

http://adireaudio.com/StockProducts/kits.htm#HURRICANE

"The Hurricane is a 2 way cabinet intended for use as a main PA speaker, neutral bass guitar cabinet (for extended range instruments), or a high efficiency, full range audiophile speaker. It features a vented 18" driver and a coaxial 10" midwoofer/1" compression driver, all in a net 7 cubic foot box. The coax is mounted in its own sealed chamber. Crossover is 2nd order between the woofer and the midwoofer, and 6th order between the midwoofer and compression driver. Bandwidth is 30 Hz to 20 kHz. Efficiency is 94 dB. Nominal 6 Ohm load. Power rating from 10W to 500W. Comes with drivers, crossover components, mounting hardware. MSRP $449/each."

I guess my main question is just how 'audiophile' are these?
It seems the top end might be overwelmed by the huge mid and bass units.. wouldn't a horned compression driver be more appropriate?

What I like about them is they are short @ 22" tall , this means no screen interference.
I've also considered some Kits from http://www.pispeakers.com , they have several Eminence driver based kits with the PSD2002 1" compression driver and different midbasses from several of their lines.

Wayne Parham at Pi has stated that the Eminence based kits have significanly more distortion than the JBL based kits ..however the JBL kits are quite spendy @ around $1600 for the parts.
Ive had my eye on the Stage Series 4 kit which runs $400 per speaker but I could get them abit less by sources the parts elsewhere.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
Has anyone tried this kit yet? I am strongly considering it if I can scrape up the parts for abit less than the selling price of $450 per speaker.

http://adireaudio.com/StockProducts/kits.htm#HURRICANE

"The Hurricane is a 2 way cabinet intended for use as a main PA speaker, neutral bass guitar cabinet (for extended range instruments), or a high efficiency, full range audiophile speaker. It features a vented 18" driver and a coaxial 10" midwoofer/1" compression driver, all in a net 7 cubic foot box. The coax is mounted in its own sealed chamber. Crossover is 2nd order between the woofer and the midwoofer, and 6th order between the midwoofer and compression driver. Bandwidth is 30 Hz to 20 kHz. Efficiency is 94 dB. Nominal 6 Ohm load. Power rating from 10W to 500W. Comes with drivers, crossover components, mounting hardware. MSRP $449/each."

I guess my main question is just how 'audiophile' are these?
It seems the top end might be overwelmed by the huge mid and bass units.. wouldn't a horned compression driver be more appropriate?

What I like about them is they are short @ 22" tall , this means no screen interference.
I've also considered some Kits from http://www.pispeakers.com , they have several Eminence driver based kits with the PSD2002 1" compression driver and different midbasses from several of their lines.

Wayne Parham at Pi has stated that the Eminence based kits have significanly more distortion than the JBL based kits ..however the JBL kits are quite spendy @ around $1600 for the parts.
Ive had my eye on the Stage Series 4 kit which runs $400 per speaker but I could get them abit less by sources the parts elsewhere.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

It DOES use a horn compression driver. The compression tweeter is mounted on the back of the 12" driver creating a conical horn.

- Dan

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

It DOES use a horn compression driver. The compression tweeter is mounted on the back of the 12" driver creating a conical horn.

- Dan

AllanRW

Second Unit

I listened to them at Adire a few months ago and was stunned at the out put of them.Really intended for clubs is what Dan said.They are designed toward.
Ask Dan about your question he can give you more direction

Al

AllanRW

Second Unit

I listened to them at Adire a few months ago and was stunned at the out put of them.Really intended for clubs is what Dan said.They are designed toward.
Ask Dan about your question he can give you more direction

Al

Daniel Metcalf

Stunt Coordinator
Hey James, this is way off topic, but are you still happy with your IB setup? After reading the thread on HTT I bought one 1804 and IB'd it and I love it so far. I need to get a bigger amp and then I'll do some detailed frequency graphing as my current one has the 30hz boost and steep roll-off below that (it won't even move with a 10hz tone!). Anyway, how exstensive was the EQ'ing in your setup? I'm still deciding if I need a BFD or not, probably do, but we'll see.

Daniel Metcalf

Stunt Coordinator
Hey James, this is way off topic, but are you still happy with your IB setup? After reading the thread on HTT I bought one 1804 and IB'd it and I love it so far. I need to get a bigger amp and then I'll do some detailed frequency graphing as my current one has the 30hz boost and steep roll-off below that (it won't even move with a 10hz tone!). Anyway, how exstensive was the EQ'ing in your setup? I'm still deciding if I need a BFD or not, probably do, but we'll see.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
I am a little surprised at the sensitivity of 94 db, but then i read that it was using a maelstrom, i imagine you could design something that might be a little bit more using Selenium drivers and get an SPL of around 98 and have a real musical club speaker. Selenium is like JBL but with out the ego and the price tag.

Not that i haven't heard the Hurricane or a maelstrom but if you got with all pro drivers you are talking about something that can withstand abuse and still have amazing sound quality.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
I am a little surprised at the sensitivity of 94 db, but then i read that it was using a maelstrom, i imagine you could design something that might be a little bit more using Selenium drivers and get an SPL of around 98 and have a real musical club speaker. Selenium is like JBL but with out the ego and the price tag.

Not that i haven't heard the Hurricane or a maelstrom but if you got with all pro drivers you are talking about something that can withstand abuse and still have amazing sound quality.

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter

Daniel , a simple HELL YES, go ahead and start another thread on this...I have plenty to say and I am sure it will be a large thread. :)

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter

Daniel , a simple HELL YES, go ahead and start another thread on this...I have plenty to say and I am sure it will be a large thread. :)

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
'Selenium is like JBL but with out the ego and the price tag.'
>>>>>>>.

Allen , your post is exciting to read , have you designed anything for home use using all pro drivers?

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
'Selenium is like JBL but with out the ego and the price tag.'
>>>>>>>.

Allen , your post is exciting to read , have you designed anything for home use using all pro drivers?

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
I'm designing something similar to this for a friend now for bass guitar use for his brother. He has an 18" Eminence driver to use that he just reconed. Then we're using the Beta 8 coax with a compression driver that he already had around. I think we're keeping it down to about 5 cubic foot total though.

Overall it should be a great design for high output use. The only drawback is that the components for the xover between the 18" and the 8" driver get a little large.

John

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
I'm designing something similar to this for a friend now for bass guitar use for his brother. He has an 18" Eminence driver to use that he just reconed. Then we're using the Beta 8 coax with a compression driver that he already had around. I think we're keeping it down to about 5 cubic foot total though.

Overall it should be a great design for high output use. The only drawback is that the components for the xover between the 18" and the 8" driver get a little large.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks