Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Will we ever get Filmation shows????

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
64 replies to this topic

#1 of 65 Randy*S

Randy*S

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 12:00 AM

Does anyone think we will ever get "Any" Filmation shows on dvd?? Besides Star Trek and Fat Albert that is.
Just wondering because I grew up with these shows just as much as the other great Hanna-Barbera and Kroft shows and since hallmark sold all or almost all of them to a uk company. Tvshowsondvd.com seemed hopeful, but it seems unlikely to me that a uk company would go through the trouble and expense to export them over here.
What do you all think? Any hope in sight for these saturday morning icons arriving on dvd? Posted Image
The shows I want the most on dvd are:
Jason of Star Command, Space Academy, Shazam!, Isis, Ark II
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, She-Ra: Princess of Power, Bravestarr, The Super Seven (from Tarzan and The Super Seven), Star Trek: The Animated Series. Posted Image

But I would buy the rest of them too!!
The rest of them are:
Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids which is available from time/life.
Gilligan's Planet, Lassie's Rescue Rangers, My Favorite Martian (animated version), and shows starring Superman, Batman, Aquaman, The Archies, Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Tarzan, and Flash Gordon, The Brady Kids, The Groovy Ghoulies,
Ghost Busters The version with "Tracy" the ape not the one with "Slimer" both live-action and animated series.
Disney please put Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends on DVD!!!!

I will NEVER buy ANY politically corrected/edited DVD!

#2 of 65 NolanJ

NolanJ

Second Unit

• 451 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 06:57 AM

A British company just purchased the Filmation library, so I would be very surprised if we didn't see some of these shows in DVD format soon.

I'm particularly awaiting He-Man and the Masters of the Universe sets.

#3 of 65 Mick Tees

Mick Tees

Second Unit

• 257 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 06:59 AM

Randy - I'm with you all the way. We need to have the Filmation library out on DVD. Complete seasons of everything you mentioned. I grew up watching these gems on Saturday mornings.

My tv shows on dvd library just wouldn't be complete without these titles.

Does anybody else need or want to have these titles on dvd?

Posted Image

#4 of 65 Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter

• 1,490 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 07:19 AM

Whoever these British folks are, I think they've definitely got something up their sleeves. Perhaps they'd like to license some of that stuff out to Rhino, who I'm sure is dying to get their hands on He-Man. Posted Image

#5 of 65 Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 07:20 AM

I'm hoping for pristine episodes of Isis someday on DVD to replace the awful looking ones I have from Sci-Fi Europe.

#6 of 65 Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,301 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted June 19 2004 - 07:20 AM

I need them all in season box sets especially Gilligan's Planet but also Fat Albert, He-Man, She-Ra and the rest.
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#7 of 65 Randy*S

Randy*S

Second Unit

• 280 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 08:25 AM

Has anyone ordered any of the Fat Albert dvd's from time-life.com yet? Are they any good? I've been waiting until I could afford their whole set and have'nt seen them yet.

Quote:
I'm hoping for pristine episodes of Isis someday on DVD.

Me too, I just met Joanna last year at a sci-fi con.
She is one of the sweetest persons I've ever met in my life!Posted Image
Disney please put Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends on DVD!!!!

I will NEVER buy ANY politically corrected/edited DVD!

#8 of 65 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,381 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 09:52 AM

The Fat Albert discs at T/L are excellent. I expect them to hit stores when the new live-action film hits theaters, but there's no need to wait!

Details are here about the Brit buy-out of Filmation's library.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#9 of 65 Claude North

Claude North

Second Unit

• 323 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 12:47 PM

If you go to http://www.archiecomics.com you can order DVDs of the old Filmation Archie cartoons. Haven't bought them myself, so I cannot comment on the quality.

Personally, I would LOVE to see all those 1960s DC Comics cartoons released on DVD (with their original titles,etc., and not in that irritating repackaged form that turned up on USA Network), as well as The New Adventures of Batman from the 1970s, which was very much in the style of the 1960s Batman cartoons. This was the series that featured Bat-Mite and did not feature any violence or Batfights.

#10 of 65 Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted June 19 2004 - 04:52 PM

If 'He-Man & The Master of the Universe' were to ever become available, I'd be thrilled!! This was by far my favorite cartoon growing up. I had all of the old Mattel figures, accessories, Castle Grayskull........the works. lol. I'd also like to get 'She-Ra: Princess Of Power' which I enjoyed just as much. Also somewhere down the line, I'd love to see DVD releases of both "The Secret of the Sword", and the "He-Man & She-Ra Christmas Special". Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for this to happen. I'd pick seasons sets up quicker than you can say "I have the power!!!". lol.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#11 of 65 Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,301 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted June 19 2004 - 05:58 PM

Quote:
If you go to http://www.archiecomics.com you can order DVDs of the old Filmation Archie cartoons. Haven't bought them myself, so I cannot comment on the quality.

Looks interesting but the fact that instead of showing the box art they show what the top of the disc looks like makes me fear they are not boxed...
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#12 of 65 Marcee

Marcee

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 06:19 PM

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe is out on Region 2 DVDs (5 volumes). Here's some info about Volume 1 from a review on the UK site for Amazon --

Episodes:
The Cosmic Comet
The Shaping Staff
Disappearing Act
Diamond Ray of Disappearance
She-Demon of Phantos
Teela's Quest

Extra Features:
Fan Commentary Tracks on "Diamond Ray of Disappearance" and "Teela's Quest"
Character Profile: He-Man
Fan Art Gallery
Production Gallery
Series Bible as DvD-Rom Content

But, I did not find She-Ra or Jason of Star Command or Isis (I have pretty good tapes of Isis - hooray!). And, Star Trek: TAS is coming to DVD pretty soon according to TVShowsonDVD.

Posted Image

#13 of 65 Jay Pennington

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

• 1,189 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 09:40 PM

Thing is, many of these titles are not owned by Filmation--they were just hired to produce the shows. This is why Paramount controls Star Trek, Cosby controls Fat Albert, etc.

I imagine in many cases the original negatives still reside with the rest of the library, however. This could be the reason why the Fat Albert footage used in TV ads for the VHS tapes looks so dull and grainy. (I haven't seen the DVDs so I don't know if this was corrected.)
-Jay

#14 of 65 Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 12:36 AM

Quote:
Looks interesting but the fact that instead of showing the box art they show what the top of the disc looks like makes me fear they are not boxed...

They are boxed, excellently packaged, and the picture has been digitally remastered. The complete set looks great! I bought them as soon as they came out. Hopefully they'll release more episodes.
I'm a classic TV fan. Widescreen? What's that?

#15 of 65 Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,570 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 07:11 PM

Quote:
If 'He-Man & The Master of the Universe' were to ever become available, I'd be thrilled!! This was by far my favorite cartoon growing up.

Oh you mean like this, this, and this?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#16 of 65 Joseph G.

Joseph G.

Agent

• 47 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 07:53 PM

He-Man & The Master of the Universe and She-Ra would be must buys to add to my tv on dvd library. These shows would help me revisit some of my most earliest memories of youth. I sure hope they come in season sets one day!

#17 of 65 Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,250 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted June 20 2004 - 08:58 PM

Quote:
Oh you mean like this, this, and this?

I already knew about the UK releases, but since I don't have a region free player, they're pretty much no use to me. lol. Besides, if it were to become available in region 1, I'd be hoping for season sets.......or at least 1/2 season sets. But at this point, I'll take whatever they throw at us, even if it is only 5 episodes per disc.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#18 of 65 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 10:54 PM

I hope they don't overlook less-popular series like Bravestarr and Filmation's Ghostbuster..

#19 of 65 David Lambert

David Lambert

Executive Producer

• 11,381 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 11:28 PM

I hope that any eventual Region 1 releases are a lot less like the single-disc releases from England that Tony Case is showing, and much more like the box sets that are available in France! She-Ra, He-Man.
DAVE/Memphis, TN

...Want to see your favorite show on DVD?

#20 of 65 Carlos Garcia

Carlos Garcia

Screenwriter

• 1,065 posts

Posted June 21 2004 - 12:11 AM

I'm looking forward to the older Filmation shows like more Archies, Sabrina, and the Groovie Ghoolies (There is an episode of Sabrina available that contains the Groovie Ghoolies). Also, it would be great to revisit the old superhero Filmation cartoons like Batman, Superman, Aquaman and the rest, as well as their live action shows like Shazaam! and Mighty Isis. A whole library exists from Filmation and I'm surprised no one has yet to release its main core.
I'm a classic TV fan. Widescreen? What's that?

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow