What's new

*** Official OPEN WATER Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
This movie is right up my alley. I'm just curious as to how they are going to make a movie an hour and a half to two hours with this plot.

I read an interview where they actually filmed this movie with real sharks and the actors were right there in the middle of it all to get a 'real' effect for the scare factor.

I am looking forward to seeing it.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/lions_gate/open_water/

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hi Lanie. I was fortunate enough to see Open Water at a film festival. You can read my review right here if you like. No spoilers. ;)

I look forward to the August release, as I've got a bunch of friends (ok, one...and my cat) who really want to see the movie already.

I'm a bona-fide shark freak. Jaws, Jaws 2, Deep Blue Sea, Shark Week, any stray show on the Discovery Channel... if it's got sharks I wanna see it.

And I really dug Open Water. :emoji_thumbsup:

As to your question about how they "fill" the movie: 1. it's kinda short, and 2. a whole lot of it is quiet and unsettling...tension. Lions Gate has a mini-goldmine on their hands. :D

LanieParker

Supporting Actor
Scott, thanks for the info. I too, am a shark freak and watch everything and anything with sharks. It looks eerie and intense and I am just so excited about seeing it!

The girl lead said in an interview that she really had to overcome many fears to film this movie. She said that she almost didn't make the movie because they wanted her to get in the water with real sharks.

She said they threw fish parts in the water to attract the sharks around them and they had to just be as still as possible while they filmed the sharks. They took the actors out if it got too intense and then started all over again.

She said that their reactions in the different scenes were so real and that if they seemd like good actors, they weren't acting, they really were that scared!

david stark

Second Unit
After watching the trailer I wasn't going to bother with it, but after your review (thanks Scott) and seeing it only clocks in at 80 minutes I may well go and see it if it is on anywhere near me.

It will be a refreshing change to ses a non CGI based movie and to me it is impressive they went to the hassle of filming with real sharks.

david stark

Second Unit
After watching the trailer I wasn't going to bother with it, but after your review (thanks Scott) and seeing it only clocks in at 80 minutes I may well go and see it if it is on anywhere near me.

It will be a refreshing change to ses a non CGI based movie and to me it is impressive they went to the hassle of filming with real sharks.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
This is easily one of the most frightening films I've seen, and while I love Jaws, I think this film definitely beats it out scare-wise. It is truly unnerving and very intense throughout, and the film is just an astonishing piece of work through and through. Also, like I said in the frightening films thread, not knowing how the true story turned out adds a lot to the experience, and I'm glad I resisted my urge to read up on it. I'm pretty positive that this will still be in my top 5 of 2004 by the time the end of the year rolls around.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
This is easily one of the most frightening films I've seen, and while I love Jaws, I think this film definitely beats it out scare-wise. It is truly unnerving and very intense throughout, and the film is just an astonishing piece of work through and through. Also, like I said in the frightening films thread, not knowing how the true story turned out adds a lot to the experience, and I'm glad I resisted my urge to read up on it. I'm pretty positive that this will still be in my top 5 of 2004 by the time the end of the year rolls around.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I've been hearing about this movie since Sundance in January and it looks really creepy. That last shot in the trailer of the shark made me jump.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Shark Week, any stray show on the Discovery Channel... if it's got sharks I wanna see it."

Me too. Though I have a bad salt water phobia:D

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Is this movie based on the woman who was left alone in the ocean? Or a seperate event? And I probably won't get to see it. So can someone tell me what happens? In spoilers.

Thanks!

Michael Ballack

Second Unit
I'm curious about it. I sort of got a blair witch project in the water vibe based on watching the trailer. It doesn't get annoying watching them scream and cry over and over, does it? I'll probablly catch this one when it comes to dvd or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks