What's new

Please confirm my suspicion that too much bass is OK for your health! (1 Viewer)

David Galindo

Screenwriter
My friend gets really scared when he sees a movie in my home theater, because of the awesome bass my Dayton Tiny Mighty produces :) He read somewhere that too much bass will mess up your heartbeat, and be fatal later on down the road.

I can see this being true if your in a car, with a constant thump on your subs, messing with your heart. But not with regular home theater, right?

MingL

Stunt Coordinator
I don't see it a serious issue if the sub levels are properly calibrated witht he mains.

Maybe your friend has a weak heart......

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit
I googled it and couldn't find any concrete information just a few sites with mixed information which is most likely the site using scare tatics to get kids to turn down their stereos, and it was all on randmom personal sites, not sites like the american medical association, webmd ect.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

I'm sure this might apply to those folks with subs in their car playing them at 140dB - thump, thump, thump. ;)

However, I doubt this is the case when using your sub at 85dB - 105dB in a home theater environment.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
The way I see it:

1- Lots of bass makes you happy.

2- Happiness has been proven to prolong your life.

Therefore lots of bass is healthy for you!

No?

GrahamJW

Stunt Coordinator
I think prolonged exposure to high level dBs over a period of time can damage your hearing; not sure about the heart. I have heard that curtain sound waves can trigger epilepsy in individuals that have epilepsy.

Cheers...John

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

You "think?" :frowning:

you can be sure of that. dB over about 85 over long periods of time WILL damage your hearing permanently. The louder the sound, the shorter will be the time until you begin to suffer permanent damage. Listening near reference level is certain to cause hearing loss long-term, so be aware of that, and watch your volume dial. It's a noisy world out there, and hearing damage is happening at younger and younger ages.

I am acutely aware of this problem, even though I am extremely young, because I have had ear tubes twice, which is not good for your ears (it collapses the membranes of your ear drums and makes them one membrane and brittle with scarring). My pain threshold is extremely low, and I already have significant hearing damage for my age. Ear plug are cheap, and very effective, wear them at concerts, and watch your volume dials at home, and you will go far in preserving your hearing for your later years.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
It builds up over time. Run searches on google, there is good info out there if you read skeptically.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
It builds up over time. Run searches on google, there is good info out there if you read skeptically.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I can assure you BASS will not screw up your heart - there is NO connection unless you have a Civic with 12, 18" woofers and you kill yourself in the car with high SPL.

If that was the case, hitting speed bumps fast, in a rental car, would make you a gonner.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I can assure you BASS will not screw up your heart - there is NO connection unless you have a Civic with 12, 18" woofers and you kill yourself in the car with high SPL.

If that was the case, hitting speed bumps fast, in a rental car, would make you a gonner.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
I know what your friend is talking about. A few years ago during some kind of a car bass contest, some idiots got inside their car, which was loaded with like 8 12" subs, and played a 10hz sine wave at a high volume. The bass threw one of their hearts out of rhythm and he had to go to the hospital, but he didn't die. I remember reading about this a while ago.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
I know what your friend is talking about. A few years ago during some kind of a car bass contest, some idiots got inside their car, which was loaded with like 8 12" subs, and played a 10hz sine wave at a high volume. The bass threw one of their hearts out of rhythm and he had to go to the hospital, but he didn't die. I remember reading about this a while ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks