Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Please confirm my suspicion that too much bass is OK for your health!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
39 replies to this topic

#1 of 40 David Galindo

David Galindo

Screenwriter

• 1,264 posts

Posted June 17 2004 - 05:17 PM

My friend gets really scared when he sees a movie in my home theater, because of the awesome bass my Dayton Tiny Mighty produces Posted Image He read somewhere that too much bass will mess up your heartbeat, and be fatal later on down the road.

I can see this being true if your in a car, with a constant thump on your subs, messing with your heart. But not with regular home theater, right?

#2 of 40 MingL

MingL

Stunt Coordinator

• 214 posts

Posted June 17 2004 - 05:20 PM

I don't see it a serious issue if the sub levels are properly calibrated witht he mains.

Maybe your friend has a weak heart......

#3 of 40 David Galindo

David Galindo

Screenwriter

• 1,264 posts

Posted June 17 2004 - 05:26 PM

Naw, hes just a big scardy cat.

I think it was the tank scene in Nemo that pushed him over the edge...

#4 of 40 Mike_J_Potter

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit

• 262 posts

Posted June 17 2004 - 11:16 PM

I googled it and couldn't find any concrete information just a few sites with mixed information which is most likely the site using scare tatics to get kids to turn down their stereos, and it was all on randmom personal sites, not sites like the american medical association, webmd ect.
Mike Potter

Last 3 films watched
Natural Born Killers (DVD)
Duece Bigalow 2 (theater)Forrest Gump (1080I)

#5 of 40 Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst

Screenwriter

• 2,589 posts

Posted June 18 2004 - 12:31 AM

Quote:
He read somewhere that too much bass will mess up your heartbeat, and be fatal later on down the road.

I'm sure this might apply to those folks with subs in their car playing them at 140dB - thump, thump, thump. Posted Image

However, I doubt this is the case when using your sub at 85dB - 105dB in a home theater environment.
"My reality check ... just bounced"

#6 of 40 John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor

• 576 posts

Posted June 18 2004 - 01:10 AM

The way I see it:

1- Lots of bass makes you happy.

2- Happiness has been proven to prolong your life.

Therefore lots of bass is healthy for you!

No?
Best regards.

John
Freelance Video Control Engineer

#7 of 40 GrahamJW

GrahamJW

Stunt Coordinator

• 84 posts

Posted June 18 2004 - 05:05 AM

I think prolonged exposure to high level dBs over a period of time can damage your hearing; not sure about the heart. I have heard that curtain sound waves can trigger epilepsy in individuals that have epilepsy.

Cheers...John
John
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message, however many electrons were horribly inconvenienced.

#8 of 40 David Galindo

David Galindo

Screenwriter

• 1,264 posts

Posted June 18 2004 - 06:01 AM

Thanks you guys, thats all I needed to hear Posted Image

#9 of 40 Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted June 18 2004 - 07:49 AM

Quote:
He read somewhere that too much bass will mess up your heartbeat, and be fatal later on down the road.

Tell your friend I have a killer deal on a bridge I'd like to sell him.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#10 of 40 ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted June 18 2004 - 08:25 AM

I think prolonged exposure to high level dBs over a period of time can damage your hearing;

You "think?" Posted Image

you can be sure of that. dB over about 85 over long periods of time WILL damage your hearing permanently. The louder the sound, the shorter will be the time until you begin to suffer permanent damage. Listening near reference level is certain to cause hearing loss long-term, so be aware of that, and watch your volume dial. It's a noisy world out there, and hearing damage is happening at younger and younger ages.

I am acutely aware of this problem, even though I am extremely young, because I have had ear tubes twice, which is not good for your ears (it collapses the membranes of your ear drums and makes them one membrane and brittle with scarring). My pain threshold is extremely low, and I already have significant hearing damage for my age. Ear plug are cheap, and very effective, wear them at concerts, and watch your volume dials at home, and you will go far in preserving your hearing for your later years.

#11 of 40 David Galindo

David Galindo

Screenwriter

• 1,264 posts

Posted June 18 2004 - 05:29 PM

Well, I assume a loud 2 hour movie once a week cant hurt, correct?

#12 of 40 ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles

Producer

• 4,791 posts

Posted June 18 2004 - 05:31 PM

It builds up over time. Run searches on google, there is good info out there if you read skeptically.

#13 of 40 Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter

• 1,365 posts

Posted June 18 2004 - 05:42 PM

I can assure you BASS will not screw up your heart - there is NO connection unless you have a Civic with 12, 18" woofers and you kill yourself in the car with high SPL.

If that was the case, hitting speed bumps fast, in a rental car, would make you a gonner.

#14 of 40 Jimi C

Jimi C

Screenwriter

• 1,209 posts

Posted June 18 2004 - 06:13 PM

Ha, this thread prompted me to do a quick google search and i came across the craziest web site ever.. heres a taste..

Quote:
Boom cars are destructive devices intended to do injury to others.

link: http://members.aol.c...ght9/noise.html

I cannot tell if this is a gag site or not.. but in any case.. its quite funny.
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/theend13/sabres.jpg[/IMG]

#15 of 40 SteveCallas

SteveCallas

Second Unit

• 475 posts

Posted June 18 2004 - 06:14 PM

I know what your friend is talking about. A few years ago during some kind of a car bass contest, some idiots got inside their car, which was loaded with like 8 12" subs, and played a 10hz sine wave at a high volume. The bass threw one of their hearts out of rhythm and he had to go to the hospital, but he didn't die. I remember reading about this a while ago.

#16 of 40 Fred_Krampits

Fred_Krampits

Stunt Coordinator

• 81 posts

Posted June 18 2004 - 06:58 PM

Back in 92, I took my daughter to see Paula Abdul in concert (2cd row) and the bass was so powerful I could feel it in my chest thumping.

Three years later I had a heart attack.....

Coincidence? Posted Image
The Man who coined the phrase "Maniac: The Citizen Kane of Horror Movies"

My DVDs

#17 of 40 Mitch_J

Mitch_J

Stunt Coordinator

• 129 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 04:36 AM

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/elfradiation/

Might be what your friend is experiencing

#18 of 40 EricRWem

EricRWem

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 05:37 AM

Kiss your high frequency hearing good-bye over time, though, if it's overdone. Posted Image

#19 of 40 David Galindo

David Galindo

Screenwriter

• 1,264 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 05:41 PM

I dont know if he experienced it firsthand (heart problems), but he is worried.

Maybe the whole rush-to-hospital thing after a big amount of bass is a new urban legend, eh?

#20 of 40 frank manrique

frank manrique

Supporting Actor

• 798 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 06:55 PM

quote:

"My friend gets really scared when he sees a movie in my home theater, because of the awesome bass my Dayton Tiny Mighty produces. He read somewhere that too much bass will mess up your heartbeat, and be fatal later on down the road."

I don't know about that...but I have survived soundtracks such as U-575, Toy Story 2, The Patriot, Das Boot, etc., as well as highly dynamic orchestral music (Tschaivkosky's 1812 Overture finale--on Telarc label--for instance) played back at rather spirited sound pressure levels via eight SVS 16-46 subwoofers...and so far I haven't had a heart attack because of high amplitude bass reproduction.

But who knows....maybe when a pair of SVS B4+ units are added to the low end section of my sound system I might go into cardiac arrest then!... Posted Image

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Forum Nav Content I Follow