Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Tumult has arrived- finally

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#1 of 37 OFFLINE   Richard_M

Richard_M

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 10:18 PM

I am just so excited, I know every one is getting sick of these posts, but I have had to wait nearly 5 months for my new baby, and it is finally here Posted Image

The reason I wanted to post a little snippet about my subs is I have been talking about these since I ordered them on the 4th February, and I think people did not believe they were going to happen.

The one on the left is the Tumult, and the one on the right is a Focal.

If anyone is interested in reading a review of the Focal Hometheaterhifi, did a review on the smaller version with the smaller amp, mine is the 15" with the 300w Redgum Amp.

Focal Review

These units have only been put here for about 1 hour; all I have done is calibrated them and now just playing some bass to break the Tumult in a little.

Posted Image

Posted Image

PS... Don’t tell the boys at SVS I stole their colour scheme, I just love the look of the B4+ on their web site.

I will give you more details tomorrow...

Sorry if you find this post is just another stupid rant Posted Image
"The Quality is remembered long after the Price is forgotten"

#2 of 37 OFFLINE   Craig Chase

Craig Chase

Screenwriter

• 1,453 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 11:42 PM

Richard, Those subwoofers are nothing short of beautiful. Great job !

And we are used to the down under rants... keep em coming!
Craig Chase

#3 of 37 OFFLINE   Michael R Price

Michael R Price

Screenwriter

• 1,591 posts

Posted June 17 2004 - 12:28 AM

Oh man, I hope you'll compare them. Posted Image What kind of enclosures are used (volume, tuning, etc.)?

#4 of 37 OFFLINE   Geoff L

Geoff L

Screenwriter

• 1,702 posts

Posted June 17 2004 - 03:11 AM

First thing I thought of (if you had to get it from the states), was what it must have cost to get that Tumult Down Under.....WEW

Your wood working skills (I'm assuming you built your own cabinets), are just drop dead PURDY! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Also very curious as to encloser volume, tuning, and power,, serious air moving monster you finally received!

Very "very" nice....
Geoff
~{ Speak of what you know, listen to what you don't.! }~  

#5 of 37 OFFLINE   Richard_M

Richard_M

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted June 17 2004 - 10:30 AM

Craig, Michael, & Geoff

Thank you for the kind words.

I would also like to thank Brian Bunge from Rutledge Audio Design, for giving me some great help when I was deciding on what sub to get. I had PM'd several SVS owners here about their subs and everyone responded and was very helpful, I did the same to several Tumult owners, but only Brian responded, so I thank you very much Brian!

Geoff, No I did not build the cabinets, we have a distributor here in oz for Adire, and they also made and assembled the subs.

Each box is 210L; the Focal is 170L & the Tumult 140L

The Tumult is being powered by the Hypex HS500 amp from Adire, which pumps 750W into 4ohms, they told me if I wanted to upgrade I could get the HS1000 which has the same mountings and can pump 1400w into 4ohms. At this stage and the HS500 should be more than enough.

So far I am very impressed with the Tumult, I have just put both subs in a location, so I could take some photos and also do some basic comparisons, after the Tumult gets some time up.

The thing I noticed these boxes don't appear to be specific for their placement, i.e. there is no boom, just great bass, mind you this is not their final resting place, at over 100kg's each I don't fancy moving them too often.

Dick

#6 of 37 OFFLINE   Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor

• 784 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 03:49 AM

I'll bet he gets terrible port chuffing...those ports look mighty small for the driver being used.
"It sounds like it's barfing out the bass." - Zach

#7 of 37 OFFLINE   Simon Brown

Simon Brown

Stunt Coordinator

• 71 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 01:48 PM

Awesome mate well done they finally arrivedPosted Image The finish looks like a work of art. I guess the wife and kids have taken an extended vacation while you proceed with your testingPosted Image It's great to know that you have them now and both my brother and I are looking forward to hearing them.Posted Image

#8 of 37 OFFLINE   Michael R Price

Michael R Price

Screenwriter

• 1,591 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 01:55 PM

Rory,

I was kind of wondering if those were ports on the Tumult enclosure! Are those 3" diameter?

#9 of 37 OFFLINE   Richard_M

Richard_M

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 02:19 PM

Simon...

I am being very well behaved Posted Image

We will have to make a time for you both to come down and sample the toys.

Rory & Michael

They are 4" ports flared both ends, I guess the angle I took the photos on is a little deceiving.

#10 of 37 OFFLINE   Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge

Producer

• 3,719 posts

Posted June 19 2004 - 03:09 PM

Richard,

Those look great! I'm glad that I was of some help to you. Let us know what you think of the Tumult once you've run it through it's paces.

Rory,

With the amp that's being used on the Tumult there will be no port chuffing issues. Hell, even with 1400W you'd only get port noise down around 20-25Hz and at that point you'd probably be pushing 120dB in room.
Brian Bunge
RAD Home Theater

#11 of 37 OFFLINE   Richard_M

Richard_M

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 07:43 AM

Thanks Brian for the information.

I measured the ports, they are 106mm ID or 4 5/16" ID, whether that makes any difference or not I am not sure.

The Tumult enclosure tuned to around 18Hz, I was told the exact freq, but can't remember. So far even on very bass intensive sound tracks the driver doesn’t move much. I kind of figured because it has such a large Xmax it would be flapping around. Then again I suppose most of the bass is short & sharp.

#12 of 37 OFFLINE   Craig Chase

Craig Chase

Screenwriter

• 1,453 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 07:48 AM

That is great Richard... First we had the "fast" bass debate... now we get to have a "sharp" bass debate...Posted Image
Craig Chase

#13 of 37 OFFLINE   Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge

Producer

• 3,719 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 08:11 AM

Sharp bass? That's a new term for me. I'll leave it up to Richard and Craig to debate that one! Posted Image

As far as the driver flapping around, 720W barely gets the driver half way to Xmax. One thing's for sure, you'll have super low distortion without the need for any electronic assistance. IIRC, Adire states that even at 28mm excursion distortion is <3%. I'm running 800W into my sealed Tumult with an LT circuit to give me a little more low end and I must say it has the least amount of overhang of any sub I've heard to date. Hey, maybe that's "sharp" bass?!Posted Image
Brian Bunge
RAD Home Theater

#14 of 37 OFFLINE   Richard_M

Richard_M

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 09:44 AM

He guys its early here Monday morning, I have been at work since 6:30am Posted Image

I coined the terminology of sharp as in the "bass has a rapid rise" in amplitude on a lot of sound tracks.

#15 of 37 OFFLINE   steve nn

steve nn

Screenwriter

• 2,420 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 10:57 AM

Great looking units Richard and I'm sure the performance matches as you say. I'm wondering why you had the Focal and the Tumult built? Are they for two different systems or do you use them both for the same?

Is it to early yet to characterize the differences in the performance of each individual unit also?

Congrats/very nice

#16 of 37 OFFLINE   Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor

• 815 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 11:12 AM

Man, those must be amazing!

Richard, I was wondering if you could PM me a link to where you bought the enclosures, as I'm looking to change my current Tempest box...thanks!

#17 of 37 OFFLINE   Richard_M

Richard_M

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 11:15 AM

Steve

I already had the Focal, it was in a black enclosure, after I finally settled on the colour of the cabinet for the Tumult, I decided to get a matching one done for the Focal.

These two subs make up the 5x I have running for my HT setup.

The Focal is just brilliant for music, I did not want to loose that as 70-80% of my listening is DVD Music, or multichannel DVD-A's.

At this stage I am just clocking up some hours on the Tumult before I do some in-depth performance testing and comparisons to the Focal & M&K's.

I have left both the new cabinets side by side purely for testing purposes, as far as performance gains in my HT setup goes, I am really not able to determine until they get properly positioned.

#18 of 37 OFFLINE   Richard_M

Richard_M

Second Unit

• 265 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 11:32 AM

Hi Joe...

The problem is these are built here in Australia, You would probably be better to get some one local to you as the freight for these would be enormous.

I am sure Brian Bunge at Rutledge Audio Design will be of some assistance.

When I was looking at getting new sub/subs, I priced up the SVS PB2+, and the B4+ and getting them shipped out to Australia.

This option I got both cabinets built, plus the Tumult for much the same as landing 1x PB2+.

Now I realise there are differences in performance and I don't want to start any flame wars, for me it was purely financial and of course getting the great finish, which of course would had added more expense if I had gone with SVS.

#19 of 37 OFFLINE   Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor

• 815 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 11:34 AM

ah, I see. Many thanks!

#20 of 37 OFFLINE   steve nn

steve nn

Screenwriter

• 2,420 posts

Posted June 20 2004 - 11:37 AM

Ah! Ok now I get it. Sounds like you have some fun ahead of you then. I'll be looking forward to your assessment Richard. Have heard some great things about the Focal drivers lately and of course the Tumult needs no fan-fare respectfully.