Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Calibration question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   DaleI

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted June 15 2004 - 11:50 PM

I properly calibrated my new Hitachi 57s500 with Avia, using "input 2", 16x9 aspect, the "Night" mode and using 480p on my Panny xp30. After turning off the dvd player, and watching a HD signal from Comcast's set-top box, the images appear slightly brighter--a little too bright. I was just wondering if I also needed to calibrate with Avia in 480i mode as well, so that my "input 1" HD channels are proper? And use the tv set's "day" mode for these settings?
I'm using component from my xp30 and from the set-top box.

--Dale

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 09:52 AM

if your tv can remember different settings for each input (a valuable feature), then i would say yes, definitely calibrate for each input.

don't forget that cable tv can be pretty inconsistent. some channels may come in really well, others really poorly. just the nature of the beast.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 10:49 AM

In my experience, the settings I arrive at for a 480P DVD do not work all that well with true HD signals.

I do have seperate memories for each input of my set, so what I do is simply transfer the settings derived from a DVD input (tweaked via Avia, VE, whatever), and then tweak the HD input by eye with some good HD content displayed.

Unless you have a source for HD test patterns, thats about the best you can do.

BGL

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   DaleI

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted June 15 2004 - 11:50 PM

I properly calibrated my new Hitachi 57s500 with Avia, using "input 2", 16x9 aspect, the "Night" mode and using 480p on my Panny xp30. After turning off the dvd player, and watching a HD signal from Comcast's set-top box, the images appear slightly brighter--a little too bright. I was just wondering if I also needed to calibrate with Avia in 480i mode as well, so that my "input 1" HD channels are proper? And use the tv set's "day" mode for these settings?
I'm using component from my xp30 and from the set-top box.

--Dale

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Ted Lee

Ted Lee

Lead Actor

• 8,399 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 09:52 AM

if your tv can remember different settings for each input (a valuable feature), then i would say yes, definitely calibrate for each input.

don't forget that cable tv can be pretty inconsistent. some channels may come in really well, others really poorly. just the nature of the beast.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 10:49 AM

In my experience, the settings I arrive at for a 480P DVD do not work all that well with true HD signals.

I do have seperate memories for each input of my set, so what I do is simply transfer the settings derived from a DVD input (tweaked via Avia, VE, whatever), and then tweak the HD input by eye with some good HD content displayed.

Unless you have a source for HD test patterns, thats about the best you can do.

BGL

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh

Producer

• 5,183 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 05:01 PM

Here is a problem: every source is a bit different.

If you plugged in a DVD player to "INPUT 2" and calibrated, then took a CATV or SAT HD box and attached it to "INPUT 2", the calibration will be wrong.

When you calibrate, you are compensating for 2 things:

- The internal electronics of the TV (including input electronics)

- The external electronics providing the signal.

My advice: do a calibration with your DVD player on each input. Write down the settings (if your adjustments offer numbers).

Then, hook up your CATV/Sat HD source and examine the image quality. (Hint: go to a HBO or Discovery channel and pick some movie which runs consistantly for several minutes to look at the image. Try to not use a network feed which has huge changes in quality as commercials/shows change.) Tweek the settings until they look good to you with this source.

Other suggestions (which I hope you followed):

- Let the display warm up 30 minutes before attempting a calibration.

- Calibrate with the same ambient light you normally have when watching television. If you mainly watch TV in the evening, but calibrate the TV on a sunny Saturday afternoon, you may have mis-calibrated.

Hope this helps.

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   DaleI

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator

• 128 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 11:50 PM

Thanks for the replies. Did I understand a previous post correctly: progressive scan automatically kicks-in the "darker" level of the XP30 dvd player? If that is true, would that also account for the lighter images when viewing non-progressive images?

--Dale