What's new

What would youto get w/ Canon Employee Discount? Help me decide..... (1 Viewer)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I have a friend who works for Canon and he can get me the following cameras at these prices:

Powershot G5...$349
Powershot S50...$249
Powershot S400...$199
Powershot A70...$129
Powershot A300...$89

This will be our first digital camera and from the research I've done I think I've settled on the A70. Basically, I want a camera that I can use for web pictures and the occasional vacation that my wife and I take. Is there a reason to move to a more expensive camera? Is there something that you camera experts know that I don't know? Thanks for your help.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I have a friend who works for Canon and he can get me the following cameras at these prices:

Powershot G5...$349
Powershot S50...$249
Powershot S400...$199
Powershot A70...$129
Powershot A300...$89

This will be our first digital camera and from the research I've done I think I've settled on the A70. Basically, I want a camera that I can use for web pictures and the occasional vacation that my wife and I take. Is there a reason to move to a more expensive camera? Is there something that you camera experts know that I don't know? Thanks for your help.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
The A70 sounds like an excellent choice for your needs... it's a very well regarded point & shoot digital camera that has some manual control features. The menu and navigation systems are well thought out.

Two things it DOESN'T have that would be nice: the ability to shoot RAW format, and the ability to see on-screen histograms... but these are features most novices don't care about, and are usually only on higher end cameras.

-Scott

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
The A70 sounds like an excellent choice for your needs... it's a very well regarded point & shoot digital camera that has some manual control features. The menu and navigation systems are well thought out.

Two things it DOESN'T have that would be nice: the ability to shoot RAW format, and the ability to see on-screen histograms... but these are features most novices don't care about, and are usually only on higher end cameras.

-Scott

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I like the LCD twist screens...great for taking pictures with the camera up high, down low, or turned back at yourself.

The G5 is a lot of coin, though. I really have my eye on the A80, guess it is too new for your discount, which is a shame.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I like the LCD twist screens...great for taking pictures with the camera up high, down low, or turned back at yourself.

The G5 is a lot of coin, though. I really have my eye on the A80, guess it is too new for your discount, which is a shame.

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
I have an A70, it's been a good camera. They are a getting little cheaper at retail now, with the advent of the A75 and A80, so be sure your discount is commensurate.

And while you're at it, ask your friend what Canon will be unveiling at Photokina! Maybe you will want to wait! And let us all know, of course.

JK

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator
I have an A70, it's been a good camera. They are a getting little cheaper at retail now, with the advent of the A75 and A80, so be sure your discount is commensurate.

And while you're at it, ask your friend what Canon will be unveiling at Photokina! Maybe you will want to wait! And let us all know, of course.

JK

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
From what I read, Circuit City was selling the Canon A75 for $150 (though don't know if it was a pricing foul-up or not), but I've heard the price might be getting corrected. I am going to check out CC after work and see if I can get one special-ordered at the $150 price if none are in stock, can't hurt to try.

Users who are viewing this thread