Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Specs for Aladdin Platinum Edition Annouced - Should we start emailing Disney now?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
52 replies to this topic

#1 of 53 MarkRowley

MarkRowley

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted June 15 2004 - 03:54 PM

I note that Disney has announced the specs for the upcoming Aladdin Platinum Edition.

Considering the appalling job Disney made of Beauty and the Beast with digital compression artifacts everywhere, maybe we should try and make sure that they don't make a complete mess of Aladdin?

What do you think?

Mark

#2 of 53 BryanV

BryanV

Stunt Coordinator

• 135 posts

Posted June 15 2004 - 06:30 PM

But there have been many special editions since the Beauty and the Beast that garnered no complaints why would this next disc be a problem?

#3 of 53 MarkRowley

MarkRowley

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted June 15 2004 - 07:31 PM

Actually, I believe there has only been one other Platinum Edition DVD since Beauty and the Beast and that is The Lion King. Which was not universally acclaimed.

Will Aladdin be a problem? Maybe, .....maybe not.

My question was largely rhetorical anyway.

I was just very disappointed that Disney ruined a golden opportunity to produce a great DVD with Beauty and the Beast.

Aladdin is arguably one of the jewels in their animation crown and it would be a real shame if it turns out like Beauty and the Beast.

Mark

#4 of 53 Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,449 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted June 15 2004 - 11:53 PM

Beauty & The Beast was unique in that they unwisely squeezed 3 different versions of the film onto one disc, causing all the artifacts. That situation doesn't exist here.

No point in getting all worked up over something that we can do nothing about (the work on the disc is probably finished at this point), and that likely won't be an issue anyway.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#5 of 53 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,493 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted June 16 2004 - 02:20 AM

While not a Platinum Edition, there were also all the problems with "Brother Bear."

We just need to face facts. Disney cares about the money, not the presentation. They'll cut corners wherever necessary to squeeze an extra penny profit out of the product. A handful of rabid HT enthusiasts are of no consequence to them.

As long as Mom & Dad can plop Junior in front of the TV for 90 minutes and he doesn't complain, then it's "mission accomplished."
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#6 of 53 Neil S. Bulk

Neil S. Bulk

Screenwriter

• 1,198 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 02:48 AM

Any chance of Disney restoring the original lyrics to "Arabian Nights"? You can read about it here.

Neil

#7 of 53 Malcolm R

Malcolm R

Executive Producer

• 11,493 posts
  • LocationVermont

Posted June 16 2004 - 03:05 AM

Any chance of Disney restoring the original lyrics to "Arabian Nights"?

Michael Eisner's Disney? Are you kidding?
The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open mind.

#8 of 53 Ricard Casselha

Ricard Casselha

Stunt Coordinator

• 69 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 03:08 AM

Neil S. Bulk: I wouldn't bet on it. Since some think the lyrics are insulting to other cultures, I think that the chance of the lyrics being restored is quite slim.

#9 of 53 Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter

• 1,099 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 04:28 AM

It's funny, though. The soundtrack CD has the original lyrics.
Randy T.
Orlando, FL
ºoº Home of The Mouse!!!

"Oh, come on, guys. It's so simple, maybe you need a refresher course. It's all ball bearings nowadays!"

#10 of 53 Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 05:10 AM

I've made my own DVD from the CAV laserdisc and the CD soundtrack. Close enough for my library.
I don't like SPAM!

#11 of 53 GlennH

GlennH

Screenwriter

• 2,120 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 05:26 AM

Quote:
It's funny, though. The soundtrack CD has the original lyrics.
But I thought I read it was changed on later pressings of the soundtrack. True?

#12 of 53 Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter

• 1,249 posts
  • LocationGuelph, Ontario - Canada

Posted June 16 2004 - 05:43 AM

Can someone clarify something for me. On DVDFile, they state that the movie will be featured in "anamorphic widescreen, family-friendly 1:66:1". Now what I'd like to know is if that is in fact the OAR, or has it been altered. It's the "family friendly" phrasing that confuses me. Mainly because when 'Roger Rabbit' was released (Vista Series), it consisted of a "family friendly" disc containing the full version.
My DVD / Blu-ray collection:

#13 of 53 Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 05:50 AM

While exhibited in 1.85:1 for theaters, the film was made using the CAPS system, which is 1.66:1. The original laserdiscs were presented using the CAPS aspect ratio.

"Family friendly" widescreen? "Wal-Mart black-bar pissed-off parent"-friendly widescreen, you mean...
I don't like SPAM!

#14 of 53 Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen

Producer

• 3,995 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 07:42 AM

No original version, no sale!
Home video oddities, old commercials and other junk: http://www.youtube.com/user/eyeh8nbc

#15 of 53 brentl

brentl

Screenwriter

• 2,918 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 10:56 AM

I waited this long and they are throwing crap like the extra song and changing lyrics that's bad!!

I have a hard time being excited about this now.

B

#16 of 53 Paul Hillenbrand

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter

• 1,198 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 12:04 PM

Keith Paynter wrote in post #13:
Quote:
While exhibited in 1.85:1 for theaters, the film was made using the CAPS system, which is 1.66:1. The original laserdiscs were presented using the CAPS aspect ratio.
Can someone explain to me the CAPS system. Is this similar to Full Frame?

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

#17 of 53 Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor

• 976 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 01:02 PM

Quote:
I waited this long and they are throwing crap like the extra song and changing lyrics that's bad!!

The lyrics were changed years ago and the original lyrics have never appeared on any version of the film on home video, so there's no surprise there. You'll have the option of watching the movie without the additonal song, as you did with Beauty and the Beast and Lion King. It's just a gimmick.

#18 of 53 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 01:12 PM

Quote:
Can someone explain to me the CAPS system. Is this similar to Full Frame?
It's Disney's digital coloring system for their animated films. I didn't realize it was designed for a specific aspect ratio, though I suppose that makes sense.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#19 of 53 Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter

• 1,830 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 02:00 PM

Quote:
It's Disney's digital coloring system for their animated films

Here's some tidbits courtesy of IMDB, re: The Little Mermaid...

Quote:
The final sequence in this film (Ariel and Eric's wedding) was the first in Disney animation history to use the CAPS (Computer Animation and Production System) computer system developed by Disney and their brand new computer technology partners at Pixar. This sequence and all future Disney animated films (from Rescuers Down Under, The (1990) on) still used traditionally painted backgrounds and traditionally drawn character animation, but after the artwork was completed, it was all scanned into the CAPS system, where the animation drawings were colored, and effects and blends added using CAPS's digital ink-and-paint software. All the camera work (including a digital version of Disney's famous "multiplane camera") and compositing was then done in the CAPS system and printed out to film.

I don't like SPAM!

#20 of 53 MarkRowley

MarkRowley

Auditioning

• 10 posts

Posted June 15 2004 - 03:54 PM

I note that Disney has announced the specs for the upcoming Aladdin Platinum Edition.

Considering the appalling job Disney made of Beauty and the Beast with digital compression artifacts everywhere, maybe we should try and make sure that they don't make a complete mess of Aladdin?

What do you think?

Mark

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow