What's new

S-Video Upconversion and Digital Audio Convertors (1 Viewer)

CarlosGH

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking of getting those all in one video/audio upconvertor and switchers from Radioshack. Do they cause more interference than good. The ones that convert composite to s-video and LR audio to TOSLink, and switch components. I wanted to hook up my VCR and laserdisc via s-video. My laserdisc player has a good s-video output, but I can only connect the VCR or laserdisc at one time so would this switch do me well?

CarlosGH

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking of getting those all in one video/audio upconvertor and switchers from Radioshack. Do they cause more interference than good. The ones that convert composite to s-video and LR audio to TOSLink, and switch components. I wanted to hook up my VCR and laserdisc via s-video. My laserdisc player has a good s-video output, but I can only connect the VCR or laserdisc at one time so would this switch do me well?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
One of the most expensive parts of your television is called the "Comb Filter". It's job is to convert Composite video to SVideo.

The inexpensive converters are cheap versions of your televisions comb filter. They tend to not do as good a job as your television will so you usually see a loss of quality.

But... how often do you really watch your VCR? Most people find the conversion to be acceptable for the few tapes they/their kids watch.

Does your AV receiver offer SVideo switching? Many people run DVD, LD, VCR with SVideo to the reciever and let it do all the switching. You dont need the toslink conversion just for the VCR. Radio Shack sells the $20 converter or a $35 cable that converts Composite to SVideo.

CarlosGH

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the advice. I expected it would degrade the image slighty. I can only use the composite or the s-video one at a time. If I plug in my LD player it disables the composite. Is the image quality degraded severally or something that only videophiles can detect? I don't have a true reciever yet, only a HTIB, but I wanted to use it just to switch the LR and S-video. I've seen a small composites-video coupler/convertor at Radioshack for $8 and I've seen a $125 Monster video convertor. I bet that the video from the Monster video will be alot better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks