Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

I'm a digital photog novice, but would like to improve

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 of 8 OFFLINE   Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted June 15 2004 - 01:21 PM

I've had a Canon Powershot A40 for about three years now. It has minimal manual controls (shutter, aperture, white balance, etc.) and I've enjoyed playing with them.

That said, I'd love to get a better camera and learn more about photography in general, how to better utilize my tools (camera, mainly) and the ins and outs of post processing (Photoshop, etc).

I'll be heading to the city this weekend and would like to pickup a book regarding digital photography and would like it to touch on everything (and more) that I've mentioned. Can anyone recommend a good piece of reading material? I'd like to stay away from a magazine subscription. I have enough of those.

Thanks in advance.

Just a side note, I've been reading about the Canon 300D (Digital Rebel) off and on for the past ~7 months. That is the camera I'm leaning towards, as I like both the SLR features and the pricetag. Being a novice, it only makes sense... as I see it.
Mr. JBL has made my first home theater possible.

#2 of 8 OFFLINE   John Kilroy

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 01:20 AM

I don't know your skill level, but to become a better digital photographer, you need to become a better photographer, so I would recommend a book on photography. In my humble opinion, you will see more results in the quality of your photography by learning about composition, exposure, etc., rather than learning how to use Photoshop.

You could get the Kodak Pocket Guide to 35mm Photography for a basic understanding of photography. It is inexpensive, it is a good read, and small enough to toss in your camera bag.

For a more "artsy" flavored book, how about Learning to See Creatively by Bryan Peterson. It is filled with great photos, and he tells you his thought process for each one, which really helped me to find images in the world around me and realize those images on film (or CF card!).

JK
I'm John Kilroy, and I approved this message.

#3 of 8 OFFLINE   Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 08:11 AM

Cool. Thanks. I'll take a look at them. Posted Image

#4 of 8 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 10:48 AM

The National Geography Photography Guides are very good too. Start with the basic one first...
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....

#5 of 8 OFFLINE   Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted June 15 2004 - 01:21 PM

I've had a Canon Powershot A40 for about three years now. It has minimal manual controls (shutter, aperture, white balance, etc.) and I've enjoyed playing with them.

That said, I'd love to get a better camera and learn more about photography in general, how to better utilize my tools (camera, mainly) and the ins and outs of post processing (Photoshop, etc).

I'll be heading to the city this weekend and would like to pickup a book regarding digital photography and would like it to touch on everything (and more) that I've mentioned. Can anyone recommend a good piece of reading material? I'd like to stay away from a magazine subscription. I have enough of those.

Thanks in advance.

Just a side note, I've been reading about the Canon 300D (Digital Rebel) off and on for the past ~7 months. That is the camera I'm leaning towards, as I like both the SLR features and the pricetag. Being a novice, it only makes sense... as I see it.

#6 of 8 OFFLINE   John Kilroy

John Kilroy

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 01:20 AM

I don't know your skill level, but to become a better digital photographer, you need to become a better photographer, so I would recommend a book on photography. In my humble opinion, you will see more results in the quality of your photography by learning about composition, exposure, etc., rather than learning how to use Photoshop.

You could get the Kodak Pocket Guide to 35mm Photography for a basic understanding of photography. It is inexpensive, it is a good read, and small enough to toss in your camera bag.

For a more "artsy" flavored book, how about Learning to See Creatively by Bryan Peterson. It is filled with great photos, and he tells you his thought process for each one, which really helped me to find images in the world around me and realize those images on film (or CF card!).

JK
I'm John Kilroy, and I approved this message.

#7 of 8 OFFLINE   Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor

• 611 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 08:11 AM

Cool. Thanks. I'll take a look at them. Posted Image

#8 of 8 OFFLINE   Max Leung

Max Leung

Producer

• 4,612 posts

Posted June 16 2004 - 10:48 AM

The National Geography Photography Guides are very good too. Start with the basic one first...
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Gamesh....